Let's talk about anything food- or drink-related, whether it be home cooking, bars or restaurants!
Post a reply

Re: Making "Whiskey"

Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:47 pm

Experimenting, and having fun :thumbsup2:

Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:48 pm

usrifle wrote:Hmmmm.....I might need to come do a taste test. Can I invite myself? :bigsmile:

Come over tomorrow night, you can try it alongside a chicken bomb. :thumbsup2:

Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:53 pm

MadPick wrote:
usrifle wrote:Hmmmm.....I might need to come do a taste test. Can I invite myself? :bigsmile:

Chicken Bomb? If there is new BBQ or kitchen Food being tried out, I am there! :thumbsup2:

Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:21 pm

Friends & spouses with adventurous palates are the carte blanche of experimental cooking :thumbsup2:

Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:25 pm

usrifle wrote:
MadPick wrote:

Chicken Bomb? If there is new BBQ or kitchen Food being tried out, I am there! :thumbsup2:
This thread took an exciting turn. Might make this tomorrow.

MP, does this recipe look accurate?

https://www.food.com/recipe/chicken-bombs-499604

Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:15 am

stompah wrote:MP, does this recipe look accurate?

https://www.food.com/recipe/chicken-bombs-499604

Good God, no . . . who the heck would make that with chicken breasts?1 :ROFLMAO:

But yeah, that's just about what I'm going to do except with thighs. Here's the video that I'll be following: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DB-w02Er4w.

Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:13 pm

I got to sample his creations tonight, and I was impressed by what some wood chips could do with Everclear. I'm not really a Whiskey guy, but it was pretty good.
The Cherry was my favorite, the Cherry was evident as well as some Vanilla note. (Thanks Breck for educating my nose).
He added some water, and while it was still a bit hot for me, I liked it.
Steve amazes me with some of the stuff he does in the Kitchen, on the Smoker, BBQ and grill. I need to step up my game to try and keep up. :bow:

Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:34 pm

Round 2!

Today I did a 1.75L bottle of cheap vodka, using cherry chips. This time I used about 25% more chips per volume of alcohol. Based on some info I found online, I skipped the baking at 220F, and I did half the chips at 280F and the other half at 400F. Then, as before, charred the shit out of them with my Sear Pro flamethrower.

Here's today's creation, alongside the oak and cherry that I made a couple of weeks ago:

Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:42 pm

I'm available for taste testing, just saying. I'll roll on over there on the hog. :bigsmile:

Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:51 pm

usrifle wrote:I'm available for taste testing, just saying. I'll roll on over there on the hog. :bigsmile:

Yeah, he’ll “scoot” on over…

Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:51 pm

usrifle wrote:I'm available for taste testing, just saying.

You are welcome anytime. :4couple:

usrifle wrote:I'll roll on over there on the hog. :bigsmile:

Invitation revoked! :cussing: :throwup:

Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:23 pm

MadPick wrote:
usrifle wrote:I'm available for taste testing, just saying.

You are welcome anytime. :4couple:

usrifle wrote:I'll roll on over there on the hog. :bigsmile:

Invitation revoked! :cussing: :throwup:

Lola and Lenny would greet me when i rolled up, don't be a hater. I'm thinking Lenny would be a good Scooter buddy. He's got the attitude. :bigsmile:

I'll get him a helmet. :thumbsup2:

Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:30 pm

And goggles :thumbsup2:

Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:35 pm

MadPick wrote:Round 2!

Today I did a 1.75L bottle of cheap vodka, using cherry chips. This time I used about 25% more chips per volume of alcohol. Based on some info I found online, I skipped the baking at 220F, and I did half the chips at 280F and the other half at 400F. Then, as before, charred the shit out of them with my Sear Pro flamethrower.

Here's today's creation, alongside the oak and cherry that I made a couple of weeks ago:

Well, it's been two weeks and two days, and my other stuff is running low :bigsmile: , so I strained this second batch tonight and here's what the "vodka" looks like now:

And somehow, even with this abbreviated process, those damned angels still got their share . . . I'm not sure where it all went, maybe into the wet cherry chips? I stuck 'em into a Ziploc bag, I'll put them on the charcoal grill one day soon.

Tue Aug 01, 2023 8:42 pm

What about using maple?
Post a reply