Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Sous vide and me!!! Eeepp!! 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWGunner wrote:
zombie66 wrote:
kf7mjf wrote:
Captain90s wrote:
Sous Vide is French, and means "under vacuum". An awful lot of culinary words are French.

And then there are British culinary words.

"Spotted Dick"
"Toad in the Hole"
"Pork Faggots"
"Flies Graveyard"
"Bubble and Squeak"
"Marmite"

Im so going into Shari's tonight and asking for some "Spotted Dick"

And they will probably say go look in the mirror thumbsup

Haa haa haa

Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:51 pm

Made some boneless thighs with picked juice. Used a dill juice and leanns juice. I didn't bother with a recipe I just threw the juice in and called it good. The leanns came out really good, the dill tasted like a meaty feeling pickle. Chopped up the dill one into chicken salad, so it's smooth and still has pickle flavor, I ate the leanns straight off the cutting board. Both tasted like they had marinated all day, but I poured the juice in just before cooking. Came out super tender.

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Captain90s wrote:
The words "British" and "culinary" do not belong in the same sentence.

....and yet possibly the greatest culinary mind in the world is British? lol.

Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:56 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Captain90s wrote:
Sous vide maintains an EXACT temperature of the water. Essentially you vacuum pack whatever it is you're cooking and immerse it in this water held at the precise temperature to slow cook it. All the juices and flavors are locked in, not diluting into the water. Want perfectly poached eggs? done. Piece of meat as juicy as all get out? You got it.

In theory, lol. We had some foodie friends bring over a brisket they had smoked that they planned to finish in the water bath. Let it go way too long and it was basically jerky. Interesting technique though, I'd like to try doing some food this way.

What are the most popular dishes cooked sous vide? Seems like larger items (ribs, etc) would be difficult due to the size of the water bath required.

Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sinus211 wrote:
Captain90s wrote:
Sous vide maintains an EXACT temperature of the water. Essentially you vacuum pack whatever it is you're cooking and immerse it in this water held at the precise temperature to slow cook it. All the juices and flavors are locked in, not diluting into the water. Want perfectly poached eggs? done. Piece of meat as juicy as all get out? You got it.

In theory, lol. We had some foodie friends bring over a brisket they had smoked that they planned to finish in the water bath. Let it go way too long and it was basically jerky. Interesting technique though, I'd like to try doing some food this way.

What are the most popular dishes cooked sous vide? Seems like larger items (ribs, etc) would be difficult due to the size of the water bath required.

Well like any cooking method, if you let it go for too long, it overcooks haha.

As to your question, you can cook almost literally anything in a sous vide. http://recipes.anovaculinary.com/

I am free because I say I am. My freedom is not dependent on any government benefit or piece of legislation. My rights are inherent in the fact that I was born a sovereign being. They are non-negotiable. The government can list them and protect them, but my rights are not theirs to give away.

Yolo: Because idiots don't know what "carpe diem" means.

What, do you think I`m an amateur? You think this is Amateur hour? I`m covered in broken glass and hatred. You think someone would want to anger that with a Vz? - Fjordforder

Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:54 pm
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Dude, wow! I want my pork tenderloin to turn out like that. Beautiful!

Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:58 pm

I might do a steak tommrow

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mediumrarechicken wrote:

Pics or it didn't happen :thumbsup2:

I am free because I say I am. My freedom is not dependent on any government benefit or piece of legislation. My rights are inherent in the fact that I was born a sovereign being. They are non-negotiable. The government can list them and protect them, but my rights are not theirs to give away.

What, do you think I`m an amateur? You think this is Amateur hour? I`m covered in broken glass and hatred. You think someone would want to anger that with a Vz? - Fjordforder

Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:13 pm
Profile WWW

Captain90s wrote:
Mediumrarechicken wrote:

Oh I know. I've totally forgotten to take pics, but I've only really cooked chicken and eggs, the chicken comes out looking like white raw chicken. My phone doesn't project the difference good enough to bother. The eggs on the other hand come out great, the poached ones are perfect little blobs of egg where the yolk is just thickened and ooze everywhere. The steak will really show well

Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:30 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Mediumrarechicken wrote:
Captain90s wrote:
Mediumrarechicken wrote:

Oh I know. I've totally forgotten to take pics, but I've only really cooked chicken and eggs, the chicken comes out looking like white raw chicken. My phone doesn't project the difference good enough to bother. The eggs on the other hand come out great, the poached ones are perfect little blobs of egg where the yolk is just thickened and ooze everywhere. The steak will really show well

Could you just give the steak/chicken a quick pan sear before vac packing it?

Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sinus211 wrote:
Mediumrarechicken wrote:
Captain90s wrote:
Mediumrarechicken wrote:

Could you just give the steak/chicken a quick pan sear before vac packing it?

I've read you do the opposite....bring a steak to like, 125-128 degrees, then sear in a hot pan on each side & serve.

Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:

I've read you do the opposite....bring a steak to like, 125-128 degrees, then sear in a hot pan on each side & serve.

This. Bring to temp, then sear.

Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:56 pm
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Alright damnit I'm gonna have to pick up one of these gadgets

Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:04 pm

Here is the tri tip. I took the pic right after I sliced it and it wasn't very red/pink but when it got some air it turned red. It was odd. Cutting it with my fine serrated steak knives sucked l, straight blades are better. It's a different feel vs cooking on the grill for sure. It was in for 2.5 hours at 129. Image

Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:35 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Mediumrarechicken wrote:
Here is the tri tip. I took the pic right after I sliced it and it wasn't very red/pink but when it got some air it turned red. It was odd. Cutting it with my fine serrated steak knives sucked l, straight blades are better. It's a different feel vs cooking on the grill for sure. It was in for 2.5 hours at 129. Image

Well? How was it?

Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next