Let's talk about anything food- or drink-related, whether it be home cooking, bars or restaurants!
Post a reply

Re: Howcome butter doesn't taste much like butter anymore?

Mon May 08, 2017 4:19 pm

When i was a kid I lived in a town that had more dairy cows than people. Butter tasted pretty good then. Turns out that part of the taste was from the salt they put in it to keep it from turning rancid.

Today Salt is bad. Everything has to be low sodium so that means low taste.

I salt when, and as much, as I want and have already outlived a lot of "Health Nuts" that worried about every little thing. I figure I run just as much risk of getting killed as I walk across the street as from a little extra salt in my diet (and red meat, cured pork, etc, etc).

Mon May 08, 2017 4:54 pm

deadshot2 wrote:When i was a kid I lived in a town that had more dairy cows than people. Butter tasted pretty good then. Turns out that part of the taste was from the salt they put in it to keep it from turning rancid.

I salt when, and as much, as I want and have already outlived a lot of "Health Nuts" that worried about every little thing. I figure I run just as much risk of getting killed as I walk across the street as from a little extra salt in my diet (and red meat, cured pork, etc, etc).

How much salt did it take you to keep from turning rancid?

Mon May 08, 2017 4:56 pm

I'm gonna try some Kerry Gold, heard it's pretty good.
Edit: >$11/lb? Maybe not.

For waffles I prefer cream cheese to butter.
Last edited by Guntrader on Mon May 08, 2017 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 08, 2017 5:10 pm

deadshot2 wrote:When i was a kid I lived in a town that had more dairy cows than people. Butter tasted pretty good then. Turns out that part of the taste was from the salt they put in it to keep it from turning rancid.

I heard somewhere just yesterday that just like they found out that butter is actually good for you, and margarine will kill you... Salt is not the high blood pressure "killer chemical' they thought it was, either!

Mon May 08, 2017 6:02 pm

probably just dementia.

some small farms do sell raw milk/cream and butter. try duvall or snoho

Mon May 08, 2017 6:07 pm

Ops wrote:probably just dementia.

I rebuke that! :bigsmile:

Mon May 08, 2017 6:15 pm

I dunno about a fresh butter, but the most "buttery" butter I've ever had is the canned stuff from New Zealand.

No butter expert, but the free range stuff means the cows eat GRASS. Grass is what gives the butter that deep gold color, mostly the vitamin A but other vitamins/minerals too. Grain fed cows produce more but the butter is very pale, almost white because, well, grain isn't grass.

It's a bummer that it's the best stuff because it's damn expensive. I suppose that's the way it goes most of the time.

Tue May 09, 2017 6:49 am

sportsdad60 wrote:Wife has made her own. The downside is, if you leave just a schoch of milkfat in it, it will spoil quicker than store bought ghee and you'll know (smells like a dairy farm when you open the jar)
I'd recommend refridgerating it if you make your own.

Definitely true. I would recommend straining through cheesecloth more than once to make sure all the milk fat is out. Either refrigerate immediately or keep at temperature on the stove to prevent spoiling. Personally I wouldn't recommend clarifying large amounts at once to keep for later, just make enough for whatever project you have going at the moment.

Tue May 09, 2017 2:12 pm

your not whipping the "special" sauce right

Tue May 09, 2017 2:17 pm

cmica wrote:your not whipping the "special" sauce right

Are you suggesting switching to nut butter?

Tue May 09, 2017 3:09 pm

Kerrys butter is nasty on waffles,

sweet cream butter mixed with maple syrup is the best.

only good thing from the irish is whisky

Tue May 09, 2017 3:40 pm

Ops wrote:only good thing from the irish is whisky

Yeah how many Irish restaurants do you see? Denis Leary hit the nail on the head.

Wed May 10, 2017 4:48 pm

os2firefox wrote:

How much salt did it take you to keep from turning rancid?

Usually a couple teaspoons to the butter you churned from a gallon of cream. Used to have a gallon jar with a paddle that was turned by a crank on the side. Kind of like a hand mixer modified to fit on the jar lid.

Sometimes a little cheese culture was added to the cream and it was allowed to sit at room temp for a day before churning and washing. Salt was added last.

Thu May 11, 2017 8:08 am

Captain90s wrote:
Guntrader wrote:Buy the good shit.
$8 for 4 pounds.
Great flavor, lasts us for months.

Months :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

That's a 1 month supply for me.

Butter. It makes every thing better. :thumbsup2:

Shit, we go through a couple of the 4 lb packs from costco per month... It's pretty decent stuff and is reasonably priced. I really like KerryGold, but shit is pretty spendy. It's a treat once in a while. We have an old school churning jar somewhere that I may have to dig out of storage. Was my great-grandmothers. I remember using it as a kid. Would be cool to make some fresh butter for the kiddos to try.

Fri May 12, 2017 10:10 pm

I bought some Kerrys Butter two days ago, it was $5 for a brick or whatever it is, and it's not great. I blame this thread.

Challenge butter is much more buttery than this stuff, and its half the price and made with real cream and salt.
Post a reply