Your hunting and fishing destination!
Post a reply

Re: One bad move

Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:03 pm

45 grain Hornady V-max out of a DR-200 makes then drop right over. I let them alone till they show interest in our birds, if they make that mistake they get sorted out.

Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:30 am

I run 300 blackout for my coyote hunting. The forest is thick on my property, so I don’t get many long range shots. 110grain bullet takes them down even if you don’t get a perfect shot.

Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:47 am

On this past upland bird opener, we were scouting one of the orchards that we routinely hunt around, and my uncle spotted a coyote stalking one of the farmer's dogs. He saw us approaching in the truck, but rather than high-tail it, he stood still as a statue among the trees, perhaps thinking we'd just roll right by and not see him. But I wasn't going to let him off that easy. Unfortunately, the only gun I had at the ready was a suppressed 10/22 Charger loaded with 40gr subsonic HPs. I lit him up broadside with 3 quick shots, but he didn't drop...instead, he bolted deeper into the orchard. We looked for him but never did find him. However, the farmer's dog lived at least another day. I was as curious about his survival as I was the terminal performance of those .22 rounds on an animal his size. I can't imagine he survived, but they are tough SOBs.

Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:32 pm

I have found that shooting activity tends to keep the yotes away. Periodically I hunt the yotes out a the the folks place and at the cabin. Now that I have mom practicing by herself with her airweight down where the coyotes have dens I may have less culling to do.

Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:52 am

My moms place has a lot of Coyotes out in Federal way, we can hear them yapping at dusk. My place up here on the plateau don’t have that many. I suspect it’s because we still got cougars and black bear roaming through the neighborhoods.
Post a reply