Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:19 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 western WA pheasant hunting? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wondering if anyone here does western WA pheasant hunting?

I've done eastern a lot since I have family who have bird dogs over there, but I was interested to try western maybe this year. Looking for someone who has a dog and/or experience with pheasants on the western side to go with.

Quote:
“I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee you this is not the last you’ve seen of him (Beto),” Biden said Monday evening during a campaign rally in Dallas. “You’re (Beto) going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re (Beto) going to be the one who leads this effort.”

https://www.newsweek.com/beto-orourke-g ... ns-1465738
Quote:
[Beto O'Rourke Suggests Police Would 'Visit' Homes To Implement Proposed Assault Weapons Ban] "In that case, I think that there would be a visit by law enforcement to recover that firearm... ..."If someone does not turn in an AR-15 or an AK-47, one of these weapons of war...then that weapon will be taken from them"

Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unless it's improved in the last 10-15 years be prepared to be disappointed, and showered with shot! I moved out here from Nebraska and the 2-3 release sights I've been to here are small, over-crowded and unsafe. That's why I only went to each a couple times and quit.

Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All released birds here and they do it on the same schedule each week so the fields are packed on those days. We gave up several years back.

Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

southern ID by the border off 84 plenty to be seen running around. I'll ask my buddy around the umitilla area if any

Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Alpine wrote:
Wondering if anyone here does western WA pheasant hunting?

Western Washington as mentioned in previous post have release sites scattered around Western Washington. The one I'm most familiar with are the ones around JBLM.

I stopped hunting about 15 years ago so this is old info...

Towards the end of my hunting I volunteered to release those birds. So it's mostly open ground. The pheasants are pen raised until they are released that morning. We would drive around scattering the birds near the start line - give the birds a few moments to get settled (in the middle of the night) a few hours before hunting began that morning.

Do know there are a few more "things" you have to do to hunt on JBLM - register as a hunter, register your firearm and call in every morning of your hunt. See any additional things you have to do now.

Hunting: you park in a designated parking area and line up on the hunting line, spacing out depends on how many hunters are there (they do have a limit on how many hunters per hunt) - typically the line is a road or something. When the magic hour comes... you start walking. Within 100 feet you'll hear shots going off. So it's basically over in 30-50 min. Some folks will sweep back after most the folks leave.

It's not like the "wild" of Eastern Washington but remember - habitat is expensive... Like saying you have a 100 acres in your back pocket expensive.

Check the Washington Hunting website for all the updated info.

A bird flushing 10 feet from you is still thrilling and amazing to watch. Just let it go out a few more meters before you shoot it (if you want to eat anything)... lol

Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:25 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

chasehooks wrote:
Unless it's improved in the last 10-15 years be prepared to be disappointed, and showered with shot! I moved out here from Nebraska and the 2-3 release sights I've been to here are small, over-crowded and unsafe. That's why I only went to each a couple times and quit.

This, unfortunately. I tried it twice and will never do it again. Didn't feel safe at all.

Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hunt Scatter Creek, on the weekends mostly. This year has been pretty good. thumbsup
We have a good time and generally meet some nice people.

There are times when the situation as it occurs, dictates the course of actions that follow.

"I stand for the National Anthem, always have, always will"

On days like this, I often wonder what Gary Gordon and Randy Shughart would do...

Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]