Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 2:10 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 New knife work in progress 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

back to work on this knife. I've got a long way to go and a short time to get there.

bevel started on the other side of the knife.

Bevel completed on the other side.

Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This post may disappoint a few people. It is too much stuff going on at the same time to get some good photos while the work is in progress. As it was I had to get my wife to step in as the magnet holder and firewatch. So I don't havel any good photos of the hardening of the steel as it happened. I will describe it as best I can. I held the knife with a pair of vice grips while I had a small propane torch on one side and a weed burner on the other side to get the knife hot enough to harden(non magnetic). My loving wife was upstairs at the time heating canola oil on the stove up to 200 degrees. I had left her with an empty .30 cal ammo can to pour the hot oil into once it got to temp and instructions to bring it down to me when it was ready. 10 minutes later and she was bringing me an ammo can full of hot oil, I had the knife at the proper temp for about 5 minutes. I had her check the blade with a magnet and man the fire extinquisher. By this time the oil had cooled down to a more appropriate 160 degrees. I dunked the blade and waited patiently for it to cool. Here it is after coming out of the oil.

Here is the oil. You can see some of the carbon that escaped the blade down in the bottom of the oil.

Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Once the knife has been hardened it is time to temper it. I bought a toaster oven from the goodwill for $8.00 and it does this task perfectly.
Here is the knife in the oven according to the instructions on the package I selected to temper for one hour at 400 degrees.

Here is the knife immediately after tempering, which completes the heat treating process. Next step is to clean up the blade and do the finish metal work prior to installing the handle.

Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

He's gonna love it. Can't wait to see it finished

Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:50 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

So, what's the deal with checking if the blade is magnetic before quenching in oil?

Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:12 am
Profile WWW

ironworker78 wrote:
Next step is to set up the filing jig. I copied this design from one that I saw on youtube by a user named gough customs. He makes knives and is now a fulltime knife maker. He has many how to videos that are very informative if you are inclined he is good resource.

First the jig is clamped into the vise.

Next step is to adjust the angle guide to its highest level.

After that I add a knotted rag to the eyebolt, for two reasons. It reduces the god awful sound of the steel rod sliding through the bolt and it absorbs the spray lube that I apply to the rod.

Haha I made the same grinding jig! Works great!

Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:45 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
So, what's the deal with checking if the blade is magnetic before quenching in oil?

the heat causes the crystal structure in the steel to change, which is necessary to make the steel harder, fortunately it is easy to check when you have the proper crystal structure as it will no longer attract a magnet.

Once the metal has been cooled it regains is magnetic properties

I have been investigating knife making for awhile now...I just picked up supplies to make my own jig (I have several cut out blanks waiting...)

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:43 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nice, thanks!

Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:02 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TINCANBANDIT wrote:
Massivedesign wrote:

the heat causes the crystal structure in the steel to change, which is necessary to make the steel harder, fortunately it is easy to check when you have the proper crystal structure as it will no longer attract a magnet.

Once the metal has been cooled it regains is magnetic properties

I have been investigating knife making for awhile now...I just picked up supplies to make my own jig (I have several cut out blanks waiting...)

Let's see those blanks.

Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The top two gut hook knives are stamped: "SCHRADE+ USA 1430T" The other one is stamped: "Remington Made in USA", these both came from the Camilus factory

These next ones have already been cut & heat treated, just need the final edge put on them, handles and a polish

The top one is a Chinese made one from Premium Knife Supply. 2nd from top is A Remington (also made in the Camilus factory), the 3rd & 4th are Western Boot Daggers, the last one is a small Western camp knife

I plan on using the top two as templates when I get some tool steel

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:55 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do you ever do "Spring Temper"? Afcter heating the blade quench only the lower half (cutting edge) in oil. This leaves the backof the blade less prone to breaking.

I Believe in the United States of America as a government of the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign Nation of many sovereign States; a perfect union, one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice, and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes. I believe it is my duty to my country to love it, to support its Constitution, to obey its laws, to respect its flag, and to defend it against all enemies."
William Tyler Page 1917

Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old Jim wrote:
Do you ever do "Spring Temper"? Afcter heating the blade quench only the lower half (cutting edge) in oil. This leaves the backof the blade less prone to breaking.

I have not tried that, I will look into it. The next knives I make are gonna be smaller, maybe a file knife or two. Then I will be making a small wood carving knife for my uncle. He just gave me an anvil for Christmas, I figure I owe him at least one knife.

This build is only my fifth attempt at knife making. There are still lots of things to learn and try.

Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pretty good lookin knives.

I Believe in the United States of America as a government of the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign Nation of many sovereign States; a perfect union, one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice, and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes. I believe it is my duty to my country to love it, to support its Constitution, to obey its laws, to respect its flag, and to defend it against all enemies."
William Tyler Page 1917

Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Next step is to do the finish work on the blade before handle install. As much or as little here is really up to your preferences.
As you can see the file leaves fairly deep scratches that I will be sanding out.

I like to alternate sanding the length of the blade with a swirling motion. I use increasing grit counts on the sandpaper as you would for any polishing operation. Here I will start with 80 grit, then 150, 220, 400 and finally 600.

Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here you can see the finished blade. Some additional work was done to the spine and edges of the handle. I am leaving the spine of the knife a hard 90 degrees to be used with a fire steel that I will be including in this build.

And the other side.

Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next