Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:00 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Chris Kyle exaggerated medal count in book 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's hard for him to produce evidence when he's dead? And that seems to be your side on this. Against him because he cannot defend himself therefor he cannot win.

Fri May 27, 2016 9:45 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, gee there, Legal Beagle.

I for one will nominate you for a hero cookie, and a no medal.

And, a citation for being genuine lawyer material, such as legal dreams are made of.

Perry Mason is still better, though.

And your shoes need polishing.

OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT.

i am known for sarcasm.

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Fri May 27, 2016 10:26 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Soldier_Citizen wrote:
It's hard for him to produce evidence when he's dead? And that seems to be your side on this. Against him because he cannot defend himself therefor he cannot win.

At the risk of repeating myself, IF YOU GET A SILVER STAR, YOU DON'T FORGET TO NOTICE THAT IT'S NOT ON YOUR ENLISTED RECORD BRIEF. Kyle was an E7. He must have at some point been promoted from E5 to E6. Then from E6 to E7. That would have required how many promotion boards and inspections from E8s and E9s. His ERB would have contained all his awards and promotions, points, whatever system the Navy was using in that period. I know for a fact that the service member AND the boards look at that stuff with scrutiny. How many people with SILVER STARS and BSMs with VALOR do you meet every day? Sure there are more in SOCOM units, but it still stands out. Silver Stars attract a lot of attention.

Every Soldier I've ever met above say E4 has an "I love me" book with pages of awards and medals and accolades and achievements. Kyle was no different. Ever seen pictures of his home - there are decorations and awards on the walls. Odds are he'd have framed and hung his significant awards too.

Yes, he is dead. I hope that someone else (his wife, his old commander, whatever) has a document, a picture, etc. of these awards. I'd love it if it can easily be proven that he was correct and the Navy was wrong. Conversely, I despise it when people lie about their accomplishments and inflate their awards. I have no reason not to like Kyle and hope this is cleared up in his favor - but I'm also not so awestruck at his fame and notoriety to know he's human and can err.

Don't loose site of the fact that just because someone is a SEAL doesn't mean they aren't also a liar, thief, criminal, or murderer etc. Several examples in recent history of SEALs doing shady stuff.

Fri May 27, 2016 12:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Soooo. His DD214 states more than "records show". Now part of his career was compiled from non computer generated systems(from what I'm seeing). And all this information was told to the news source from an individual who requested the info via the freedom of information act. The news station did not receive this from a navy spokesperson or a pentagon rep. The navy is currently conducting an investigation into the matter(now for all we know they may try and kill the story and hope it goes away).

Some more food for thought. Being a SEAL. They do conduct operations that would not be seen or made available for the "freedom" of information act. Is it possible that that information wasn't on there due to that matter? I mean sure, somewhere there would be a paper trail with one reason or another for the medal but I'd highly doubt it would be on a freedom of information file if it was given for the results of a classified op?

Fri May 27, 2016 12:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Soldier_Citizen wrote:
Soooo. His DD214 states more than "records show". Now part of his career was compiled from non computer generated systems(from what I'm seeing). And all this information was told to the news source from an individual who requested the info via the freedom of information act. The news station did not receive this from a navy spokesperson or a pentagon rep. The navy is currently conducting an investigation into the matter(now for all we know they may try and kill the story and hope it goes away).

Some more food for thought. Being a SEAL. They do conduct operations that would not be seen or made available for the "freedom" of information act. Is it possible that that information wasn't on there due to that matter? I mean sure, somewhere there would be a paper trail with one reason or another for the medal but I'd highly doubt it would be on a freedom of information file if it was given for the results of a classified op?

There's nothing "secret" or non-FOIA about an ERB or DD214. The narrative of a particular mission might be concealed or not subject to FOIA... but the ERB and DD214 is simply an abstract record.

Fri May 27, 2016 2:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mhm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri May 27, 2016 2:36 pm

leadcounsel wrote:
RENCORP wrote:
leadcounsel wrote:
It should be quite easy to see if he did in fact embellish (or lie).

Let's not forget that by a verdict of 8-2, ex-SEAL Jesse Ventura was found to have been defamed due to the embellishments of Kyle in his book. So, there's that. True, Kyle was not there to testify, but the Jury heard all the evidence and sided overwhelmingly with Ventura. http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/14/politics/ ... efamation/

Again, I have no skin in the game but I do think that records should be honest to maintain the integrity. There's no shame in having 1 SS and 3 BSMs, if that's what one truly has. Pretty darn awesome actually. But to lie (if that's what he did - we don't yet know) and say you have things you don't is a different story and not good.

Speak not ill of the dead, especially when they did more for their comrades in a few short years than you will accomplish in your entire career.

I've not spoken ill of Chris Kyle and think he was a hero.

I will say however that the difference between him and a lot of other heros is simply glory and politics. Lots of jobs which were far more important than a snipers are quite unglamorous, boring jobs - but save 100x as many lives and impact individuals and the battlefield far more importantly. But they aren't nearly as exciting, glamorous, and don't make it onto the silver screen. So, let's not degrade the rest of the heroes when we elevate Kyle. He was a good SEAL and a world class sniper - not superman.

I'll tell you this much, I've personally seen it and even personally experienced it where Soldiers did extraordinary things and did not get recognized. True story, I directly intervened to prevent a serious Geneva Convention violation that would have gotten leaders fired, possibly prosecuted, and shut down a SOTF operation. I got zero recognition anywhere for it since it would have been an embarrassment to the SOTF - no award, not even a bullet point on an OER. I guarant-fucking-T that was the most important single thing that occurred on that deployment; far more important than any operation or event. But, I was a JAG staff officer. Not glamorous. Not a "Green Beret." "Just" a staff officer. Meanwhile, I saw a lot of award inflation going on for the "Green Berets" in the SOTF that never left the compound - like our useless XO who watched movies, watched a lot of sports, trained for a race (he got a few bicycles and his office looked like a bicycle shop, which he rode around the compound daily) and conducted meetings the entire deployment and got a BSM.

There is also legit criticism, perhaps, which he should have cleared up in the alleged not-insignificant discrepancies of his records - since after all HE was the one that was touting them.

If, for instance, you wrote a book about your service, but could not produce any records that you served or deployed or whatever, you too would expect (rightly so) some criticism.

A BSM with out a "V" is a thank you for playing award. I don't hold much stuck in BSMs unless they have a "V" on them. Same with ARCOMs without the "V". You get all E-7s and above get BSMs for the deployment while E-6s and below got an ARCOM. Big whoop.

I also find it funny how people in support roles always try and justify how important their job is to combat arms. We get it, you are just as important if not more... :wink05:

That is why I like the Marine Corp over the Army. The make it clear from the start that everyone not Infantry in the Marine Corp is there to support the Infantry and the Infantry is the backbone of the Corp.

Fri May 27, 2016 4:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Soldier_Citizen wrote:

This is where the state department and Dept of defense comes in. Not once do I ever recall, for the year I was there, seeing any award, let alone where, for times a troop was suddenly assigned to a hqtrs company for tdy, for whatever amount of time they were somewhere dark. But then again that was back in the eighties.

Fri May 27, 2016 5:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just an update on this. The Navy investigated this and in spite of his DD214 reflecting 2 Silver Stars, it appears that there is no documentation to support one of them. So his official records were downgraded to 1 Silver Star.
By Thomas Gibbons Neff
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/che ... ge%2Fstory

Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

bhpdrew wrote:
Military paperwork on medals is often fucked up.
Which can confuse the ever living fuck out of the soldier.
My official award paperwork differs from what is on my DD214 (I have more official awards than what is listed on my DD214).
It's always better to be on the safe side and claim/wear the lessor of the two, which is how I do it.
I place no blame at Chris Kyle's feet for this.
Blame the red tape bullshit, several different award systems, etc. for it.

Mine too. I had an ETS ARCOM that wasn't on my DD214 the first time I got out, had to correct that when I got commissioned. My MSM was still being processed when I ETSed out in 2005 so it isn't on my DD214 either. If you have the orders you can claim it.

I personally don't brag about any awards I have. I have enough salad on my uniform to look impressive enough but I never was that much into getting awards.

'The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms. History shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subject races to carry arms have prepared their own downfall by so doing.'

Adolf Hitler

Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:29 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

When I was in (out in 1983), they did all that shit with carbon paper copies off a typewriter.
And the people who processed the paper weren't recruited for their high ASVAB scores.
I'm sure there are lots of mistakes.

Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:59 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guntrader wrote:
When I was in (out in 1983), they did all that shit with carbon paper copies off a typewriter.
And the people who processed the paper weren't recruited for their high ASVAB scores.
I'm sure there are lots of mistakes.

It's your individual responsibility to make sure it's right, not the admin shop or anyone else. You show them the correct citation/paperwork and they put it in. You check it periodically to make sure it's right.

The whole thing just seems like a smear on a dead man though. I wonder who Jesse Ventura called?

Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: South Puget Sound (sounds more hoity toity than Puyallup)
When I got out, the last thing I "examined" for accuracy was awards and medals. Granted, I was not close to the stratosphere of Silver Stars, that sort of thing...to me, it just didn't seem to matter in the grand scheme of civilian life.

Now, my Shellback certificate is another matter!

Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:52 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Shellbacks! Neptunus Rex!

What pissed me off was pre-paying $10 for a West Pac cruise book, and never getting it.
HM3 (book editor) said "Oh, we'll find you and make sure you get it"
I was discharged in Okinawa, didn't wish to extend or reenlist. Never got it.
Have one now, had to pay $100 on ebay, was issued to some Ensign I never heard of.

Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I admire Kyle, read his book, and think he is a hero. But it is just as important for his records to be honest and clear is we expect from our other arms of government, like Clinton. Nobody respects a liar or someone that inflates the record. I'm not saying Kyle is a liar and he can't defend himself, but the whole thing is very puzzling.

Silver Stars aren't just issued with a handshake. I've known quite well a number of S1s and dealt with hundreds of Soldiers and their awards as part of my job, and have a pretty good working knowledge of the process.

In my entire career which pretty much overlaps Kyles era, here's how it works: A narrative is drafted by someone in the service member's chain of command. It is distributed via email to seniors. Rarely is it correct. It goes through few rounds of corrections, until approved. For a Silver Star, the approval authority would be Sec Navy IIRC. All of SEC NAVYs emails and documents would be, by law, preserved indefinitely and any approval would 99.9% likely have been routed through the Pentagon where he works. The process probably takes months, and has dozens of eyes on it.

At minimum, he would have received a 8x10 certificate which the S1 put in his permanent electronic records, and there it would stay forever. In reality, there would have been some awards ceremony, since a SS is a pretty big deal. And the unit photographer/PAO, or someone with a camera, would have taken a picture. He wasn't camera shy. And I'd be surprised if that SS 8x10 award, which is a pretty big deal, wasn't put in a nice shadowbox frame with the medal, and mounted on a wall in his home.

So, where is all this evidence, if he really was awarded the 2nd one? Just like the absurdity of the CIA losing files, Clinton's email garbage, etc. You can't deleted these records if you tried. There are just too many forensically available copies. Probably in dozens of email accounts, photos, and hard copy given to him (which his wife would certainly have in his files at home), etc.

I will however, say that I have zero confidence in "military investigations" having reviewed thousands of them myself and finding an alarmingly high percent that fail on their surface. It is quite possible, for instance, they didn't even interview his wife, or look very hard for the information. It would not surprise me at all.

Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4