General Chit-Chat, comments etc
Post a reply

Re: "Laughs in Tesla" ~ Big D

Mon May 17, 2021 9:57 pm

Battery technology will happen. Diesel electric technology for small auto transportation could have happened decades ago if not for Detroit lobbying.

Kenworth had prototype diesel-electric highway trucks. As did Freightliner. In 1980 a d/e W900 hauled three loads of logs from Raymond to Aberdeen at normal road speeds for the time, using around 1/3 the fuel of the traditional powertrain. Where it went nobody seems to know.

Freightliner has had self driving trucks in NW Oregon for years.

It’s coming.

Tue May 18, 2021 5:00 am

Tue May 18, 2021 5:02 am

zipties wrote:Battery technology will happen. Diesel electric technology for small auto transportation could have happened decades ago if not for Detroit lobbying.

Kenworth had prototype diesel-electric highway trucks. As did Freightliner. In 1980 a d/e W900 hauled three loads of logs from Raymond to Aberdeen at normal road speeds for the time, using around 1/3 the fuel of the traditional powertrain. Where it went nobody seems to know.

Freightliner has had self driving trucks in NW Oregon for years.

It’s coming.

Yeah whats keeping the Over the Road trucks from going Diesel/electric is the weight of the power plant.

GVW of the whole mess (truck, trailer, load) still cant be above 80k.

Semi's have aluminum wheels for a reason and its not the Cool Factor.

Freight trains dont seem to have that restriction.

Tue May 18, 2021 7:56 am

zipties wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:.

It really torques my bolts when people continue to post this sort of thing on the internet. That is a backup EG for whatever that comm unit is next to it in the photo. Will auto transfer upon loss of station service. It could be for a business but appears more like a small cell hub or the like.

It is a byproduct of the small Australian company who did build diesel powered EV charging stations in remote roadhouses as part of a beta test to see if EVs, Tesla’s in particullar could make it on long range trips and to promote EV use in the Outback.

Calm down people it's a meme/joke.

Tue May 18, 2021 8:06 am

golddigger14s wrote:
zipties wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:.

It really torques my bolts when people continue to post this sort of thing on the internet. That is a backup EG for whatever that comm unit is next to it in the photo. Will auto transfer upon loss of station service. It could be for a business but appears more like a small cell hub or the like.

It is a byproduct of the small Australian company who did build diesel powered EV charging stations in remote roadhouses as part of a beta test to see if EVs, Tesla’s in particullar could make it on long range trips and to promote EV use in the Outback.

Calm down people it's a meme/joke.

I was gonna say: "IT'S JOKE SON"

EV people wound up tight.

Tue May 18, 2021 8:30 am

Tue May 18, 2021 11:19 am

I don't see it as a joke. There's no humor involved, it's just flat-out misinformation, trying to sway people's opinions.

Tue May 18, 2021 11:38 am

MadPick wrote:I don't see it as a joke. There's no humor involved, it's just flat-out misinformation, trying to sway people's opinions.

You bought a Prius?

Tue May 18, 2021 11:43 am

MadPick wrote:I don't see it as a joke. There's no humor involved, it's just flat-out misinformation, trying to sway people's opinions.

Welcome to the internet!

Tue May 18, 2021 1:06 pm

Time for the world famous BHP Drew-ism.

PENIS !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue May 18, 2021 1:12 pm

Ha! Go take a gander at the covid thread!

Tue May 18, 2021 1:21 pm

WaJim wrote:Yeah whats keeping the Over the Road trucks from going Diesel/electric is the weight of the power plant.

It’s a different system too. Locos use the diesel to generate electricity, electric motors drive the wheels

On the trucks/buses they got overly complicated with the transmission and try to blend the power sources as well as recoup some of the energy on deceleration

Stoic could explain it better than I can. He and I have had conversations over beers about it

Apparently Allison has given up on trying to make those transmissions work, which basically orphaned a large number of vehicles. Any energy saved is eclipsed by all that waste

Not very green

Tue May 18, 2021 5:41 pm

Note the date of the video is from March 18, 2011

https://youtu.be/tm8ATYxaYZI

Re:

Tue May 18, 2021 5:48 pm

RocketScott wrote:
WaJim wrote:Yeah whats keeping the Over the Road trucks from going Diesel/electric is the weight of the power plant.

It’s a different system too. Locos use the diesel to generate electricity, electric motors drive the wheels

On the trucks/buses they got overly complicated with the transmission and try to blend the power sources as well as recoup some of the energy on deceleration

Stoic could explain it better than I can. He and I have had conversations over beers about it

Apparently Allison has given up on trying to make those transmissions work, which basically orphaned a large number of vehicles. Any energy saved is eclipsed by all that waste

Not very green

Again from 2011. A lot of engineering theory not quite backed up by real world use. Anything can be made to impress on paper. Or a CADCAM

https://youtu.be/zK8jyVXwwig

Tue May 18, 2021 5:55 pm

And my personal favorite / nemesis the EatonFuller hybrid drive. Weyco paid for me to go to Indiana to learn about this catastrophe. If you made to 2:00 without boredom or a headache I encourage you to entertain how anyone in a timberland corporation’s fleet dept thought any of this would be good for a log truck. I love being retired. For these kind of reasons.

https://youtu.be/EnL8rfzy7y8

It saves the planet though. Keep thinking it because it’s all coming back soon.
Post a reply