:thumbsup2:

I blame Madpick :wagwoot:

Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

oldkim wrote:

Dude, you started this thread LOL

Studying for my Liberal Arts degree at Evergreen College.

YouTube taught me, just like everybody else.

Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lumen v. Lux
Focus variances

Be mindful of the differences in the latest flashlight horsepower war.

Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

stompah wrote:
oldkim wrote:

Didn't you get the memo!
Truth doesn't matter these days! :bigsmile:

:ROFLMAO:

Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

CQBgopher wrote:
Lumen v. Lux
Focus variances

Too many terms! Lux or Lumens

https://blog.nitecorestore.com/lumens-c ... asure.html

Also, the vast majority of us are guys. It will always be - who and what are bigger! :rofl9:
Or at least making up for the lack of... :wink05:

And this is an educational thread. If one looks at most of the comments. One will find that the majority of post are on older design flashlights dating back some 5-25 years! My reference to the EagleTac 25 series that WaGuns did a group buy and laser etching of WGO design dates back at least 7-9 years ago???

But flashlight designs now or even the last 2-3 years show that our basic benchmark of 450 lumens to now something on the lines of 1,500 - 3,000 is the new standard (for a newer light design). Before those high "turbo" power ranges were 10-30 minutes of use and the battery is done. Now, I have a light that can go 3.5 hours at just shy of 3,000.

Again with the idea of cost range in about $100 is amazing. Lots of flashlights out there.
Just have to find what you like and fits your bill to buy it but t does require some researching on your part.

For new flashlight owners to those that have older flashlights - needing to suddenly buy a new light! I know!
I'm evil to tempt you in spending more money! :wagwoot:

Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

oldkim wrote:
stompah wrote:
oldkim wrote:

Didn't you get the memo!
Truth doesn't matter these days! :bigsmile:

:ROFLMAO:

Damn liberals.

Ok, what sub $100 flashlight is the size of a 2D or 3D MagLite and carries the same nogging wallop but isn't like current day MagLites sporting sub-300 Lumens/Lux?

That's the one I really want to replace.

What's better than this:

https://a.co/d/5fTzEp3

Studying for my Liberal Arts degree at Evergreen College.

YouTube taught me, just like everybody else.

Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

stompah wrote:

Ok, what sub $100 flashlight is the size of a 2D or 3D MagLite and carries the same nogging wallop but isn't like current day MagLites sporting sub-300 Lumens/Lux?

I have a 4D Maglite. I wonder if it still works? It's still a weapon aka baton.
Just to give folks an idea. Take your forearm. Look from the elbow to the tip of your fingers.
Now that's the size, length of what a 4D Maglite.

But back to your question. You can convert a Maglite 2-3D or even 4 or 5D by changing out some parts.
https://malkoffdevices.com/collections/ ... ccessories

Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

CQBgopher wrote:
Lumen v. Lux
Focus variances

I think we all know how much of a stickler for 'specs' I am... But at some point you have to sit back and think 'Holy shit, I have this flashlight in my hand, that's about the size of a AA battery, that can produce a light brighter than a maglite that took 6 D batteries, and do it for half an hour' that just puts things into perspective. My keychain light puts out more light than halogen headlights 'back in the day' put out, and it's not even the best/brightest out there anymore for the size.

The efficiency and light output these days is amazing - even compared to just a couple years ago.

A decade ago you'd be lucky to get 750 lumens out of a flashlight for 20-30 mins with a 2.5AH 3.7V battery, and moonlight mode which is ~10lm would last for about 24 hours. Today, we're pushing 2K lumens for an hour with a 3AH battery, and an insane 150 hours for the same ~10lm moonlight mode.

Not my pics.....

When you have something THIS size...

Attachment:
71tgbdrN7RL.jpg

Putting out THIS MUCH LIGHT....

Attachment:
71f4PA1PQYL.jpg

Attachment:
71SXIRUMM-L.jpg

...at some point, arguing about an extra 10 lumens or an extra 50ft of throw becomes a moot point... :bigsmile:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:46 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

stompah wrote:

My initial thought here is that in years past. your MagLite flashlight just happened to be, because of its size, a weapon.

Today, we shouldn't be trying to enlarge a flashlight to make it a weapon. Use a modern flashlight, and carry a separate weapon if you choose.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:31 am

I go minimal with streamlight microstream but the newer wedge XT or Olight baton 3 will be my next purchase just to have an option to step up if needed.

Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:
CQBgopher wrote:
Lumen v. Lux
Focus variances

I think we all know how much of a stickler for 'specs' I am... But at some point you have to sit back and think 'Holy shit, I have this flashlight in my hand, that's about the size of a AA battery, that can produce a light brighter than a maglite that took 6 D batteries, and do it for half an hour' that just puts things into perspective. My keychain light puts out more light than halogen headlights 'back in the day' put out, and it's not even the best/brightest out there anymore for the size.

The efficiency and light output these days is amazing - even compared to just a couple years ago.

A decade ago you'd be lucky to get 750 lumens out of a flashlight for 20-30 mins with a 2.5AH 3.7V battery, and moonlight mode which is ~10lm would last for about 24 hours. Today, we're pushing 2K lumens for an hour with a 3AH battery, and an insane 150 hours for the same ~10lm moonlight mode.

Not my pics.....

Attachment:
71tgbdrN7RL.jpg

Attachment:
71f4PA1PQYL.jpg

Attachment:
71SXIRUMM-L.jpg

...at some point, arguing about an extra 10 lumens or an extra 50ft of throw becomes a moot point... :bigsmile:

Agreed long range wide open the full power stuff is great. But.

While back a co worker of mine lost his wedding band up in BFE on a wet dew evening. Right before sunset. His super powered flashlight lit up those water droplets like fiber optic lasers and made the entire field look like stars.

My crappy old tech LensLight doesn’t wash out colors but still can be focused to reliably hit 200 yards. I shot it across the ground and the yellow gold ring popped out immediately.

Since this is educational thread; Lumens isn’t everything it’s how it throws it down. Motion of the ocean…could be why the prices for used LensLights on the market are stupid now. Chapman/Leonard knew what they was doing.

Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:37 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

CQBgopher wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
CQBgopher wrote:
Lumen v. Lux
Focus variances

Not my pics.....

Attachment:
71tgbdrN7RL.jpg

Attachment:
71f4PA1PQYL.jpg

Attachment:
71SXIRUMM-L.jpg

While back a co worker of mine lost his wedding band up in BFE on a wet dew evening. Right before sunset. His super powered flashlight lit up those water droplets like fiber optic lasers and made the entire field look like stars.

My crappy old tech LensLight doesn’t wash out colors but still can be focused to reliably hit 200 yards. I shot it across the ground and the yellow gold ring popped out immediately.

Since this is educational thread; Lumens isn’t everything it’s how it throws it down. Motion of the ocean…could be why the prices for used LensLights on the market are stupid now. Chapman/Leonard knew what they was doing.

Cherry picking use cases isn't the topic at hand. Of course specific lights might do better in specific situations.

That's like talking about an EDC pistol and being like 'Well 9mm, won't take a bear out at 300 yards, so, it's not the best option'......

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:29 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:
CQBgopher wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
CQBgopher wrote:
Lumen v. Lux
Focus variances

Not my pics.....

Attachment:
71tgbdrN7RL.jpg

Attachment:
71f4PA1PQYL.jpg

Attachment:
71SXIRUMM-L.jpg

Cherry picking use cases isn't the topic at hand. Of course specific lights might do better in specific situations.

That's like talking about an EDC pistol and being like 'Well 9mm, won't take a bear out at 300 yards, so, it's not the best option'......

It’s an educational thread. Was he holding a real gun or a BB gun? Or was it a hair dryer? All I saw was white/blue light from my 4,400 lumen super torch with a cheap LED in it.

EDC is a very wide river to float around in. Many use cases. If we say good enough for 90% then there’s really no point to discuss just buy what you like.

Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Where is a 4,400 lumen on the cheap?

So far the benchmark is in the range of 1,500- 3,000 at most.

Yes there are light that are 18,000-22,000 lumens but they also cost $600-$900 and are like the size of a small baby.

Educational eye opener is what this thread is becoming. The vast majority haven’t upgraded in years. Decades?!?!

And there are lots of choices in size, power and costs.

Hell if you use the benchmark of 100 lumens - you can get one of those small micro lights at like $30

Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

oldkim wrote:
Where is a 4,400 lumen on the cheap?

So far the benchmark is in the range of 1,500- 3,000 at most.

Yes there are light that are 18,000-22,000 lumens but they also cost $600-$900 and are like the size of a small baby.

Educational eye opener is what this thread is becoming. The vast majority haven’t upgraded in years. Decades?!?!

And there are lots of choices in size, power and costs.

Hell if you use the benchmark of 100 lumens - you can get one of those small micro lights at like $30

I picked up an 8K lumen, yes, actual tested 8K lumen, for $75....

Interstate, as in the battery company... of all things..

Doesn't look like it's available anymore, though. Can't even find it on U.S. amazon page.

https://www.amazon.sg/Interstate-Batter ... B08MSVCCQ2

Thomas Paine wrote:

Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next