Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 1:02 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next
 Thurston County Gun Turn-In 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have someone with cash who is interested in doing this. This event is a "No Money" event from TCSO and like others have stated we need to come up with a standard asking price. $20-$25 is a great starting price.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign's reply text to me when I told him about this was so fast I think it broke records LOL.

Don't poo poo the broken guns either. If there is a bolt and a receiver, it has value. Precious few, if any guns are worth scrapping.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kf7mjf wrote:
Massivedesign's reply text to me when I told him about this was so fast I think it broke records LOL.

Don't poo poo the broken guns either. If there is a bolt and a receiver, it has value. Precious few, if any guns are worth scrapping.

This is true also. Numrich, SARCO, among others buy guns for parts value. Sometime a gun is worth more in parts than as a whole gun, proving that a sum of parts can be greater than the whole.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:22 pm

M1Gunr wrote:
I have someone with cash who is interested in doing this. This event is a "No Money" event from TCSO and like others have stated we need to come up with a standard asking price. $20-$25 is a great starting price.

+1, paying $100 for something that is going to be given away is just taxing yourself.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I dont plan on giving anything away so i dont understand taxing myself??

Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

toys in the toybox wrote:

People that show up to turn in guns won't be expecting anything. They are expecting to GIVE guns to LE, ANY cash offer is better than nothing, so why pay $100, when you could pay $20? That's what he means.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

gotcha i also hate to lose one to the po po cause $20 was an insult and they have bothered to come down to give it away. $50-$100 gets peoples attention and is still a fraction of the value so everybody wins

Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:38 pm

General Nonsense wrote:

People that show up to turn in guns won't be expecting anything. They are expecting to GIVE guns to LE, ANY cash offer is better than nothing, so why pay $100, when you could pay $20? That's what he means.

One person gets it.

If there was compensation from the LE I could see matching or going above their offer, but why break your bank if you don't have too?

You don't think people will see you offering a $100 and then want more, because their gun is "worth" more now.

Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:39 pm

gotcha i also hate to lose one to the po po cause $20 was an insult and they have bothered to come down to give it away. $50-$100 gets peoples attention and is still a fraction of the value so everybody wins

If I offered you money to take away all your recyclable cans would you take it or just stick with your collection service?

Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you have one guy offering $50 for ANY FIREARM, and another guy offering $100 because "it's worth more".....wouldn't YOU be curious if you could get EVEN MORE because someone said it has a higher value?? I know I would. I'm not stupid.

NOOOoooo!

All I get is "Hey! I'm peeing in here!"

"Peace is the brief, glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading."

Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll probably become pretty unpopular pretty quickly for stating my opinion here, but I feel I need to do so anyway.

If WaGuns is going to do something here, in any organized and recognized/recognizable way....

Then I'd like to see the admins, and whatever FFLs as might be necessary, set up for this. And NOT see a bunch of others milling around, offering bucks here and offering bucks there.

And they should set a price and stick with it. (20 dollars IS a good suggestion.) The only exceptions being the truly exceptional cases like that 30,000.00 gun, the old lady had..

Then most of what is bought can be sold at the price it was bought at, to members here. Especially to people who have contributed money ahead of time, to fund the original buying.

With the more valuable items, being auctioned.

Anybody with enough life experience and common sense is going to understand that 'the public', (which includes 'the media')... Is going to draw their own conclusions from what they observe. If there is even the least bit of "impropriety", it WILL reflect badly on the most publically seen 'entity'.

The description of "impropriety" is purely in the eye of the beholder. Not in the opinon of the bystander/forum member.

In other words, if things are not kept EXTREMELY above-board... Respectable to even the most jaundiced anti-gunner eye... Level-headed and disciplined... Then it will be WaGuns' name that will be besmirched.

I'd rather either not see WaGuns' name there at all... Or know that anyone who gets out of line, will be relieved of their WaGuns labeled schwag, and asked to leave.

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Someone should be prepared to speak to the press as well, just in case they do show up and start asking questions.

NRA Range Safety Officer
NSSF Member
SAF Defender's Club - Life member
US Navy - 1976-1982

Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok, I am gonna say that the following should be our conditions.

- We ALL offer $50 for any gun we like. If we don't want to buy it for $50, send them to TCSO. No offers of more, no offers for less. If we buy a gun, even if we buy it as a parts or junk gun, $50 is the flat price.
- If the gun has collector value, let them know, and then direct them to the site and let them know they can legally sell it here for FMV.
- We ALL do bills of sale for EVERY gun someone in our group buys.
- We do a serial number check of EVERY gun, to ensure it hasn't been reported stolen.
- We remain courteous and respectful, if they don't want to sell to us and would rather turn a gun in to LE, let them, no badgering.

After the buy back, we do a meet and greet and gun swap. Gun for gun, no 2 for 1, no cash sales during this M&G, just straight across trades 1 for 1.

Yes, it might be beyond some people's budget, but $50 is the most common dollar value I see at these things. Yes some people will be able to buy 10 guns, some only 1, but that's life. $50 is a reasonable offer for a gun people are expecting to get nothing for.

Can we all agree on these terms?

I call dibs on speaking to the press.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:02 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

cdoniguian wrote:
Someone should be prepared to speak to the press as well, just in case they do show up and start asking questions.

Agreed.

Saying something along the lines of we'd hate to see perfectly good fireams be destroyed, and we'd like to see them given to responsible owners instead, will probably be seen as self-serving.

We may be able to temper that some by saying this is a statement we are making. That we disagree with the message that the 'turn-in' sends to the general public. That we think that gun owners are misunderstood enough, as it is. And that we are buying the guns to put into the hands of reasonable, responsble owner's hands to prove the point.

Maybe only transfer the guns to CPL holders, or something like that, as a gesture...

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:06 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ill do whatever our collective wants if i end up being involved. I dont anticipate great things due to our demographic being way different than other turn in locations

It needs to be an organized entity and not a mob. If a whole $25 is our incentive then we need to appear as an bonafide arms collecting body, sans wagu if necessary

I think those with the capital should have first shot and for each toy that meets its maker cause $25 wasnt enough of an incentive that those people who voted for it should be removed from the pool on what is saved

dont get me wrong there is some logistics to be worked out here and might be good to assemble some kind of group to represent and or agree that they will be our face in this matter on the day. This same group should be the rule committee as well

Who knows there may end being nothing of interest that shows up

Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next