Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:44 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 911 call "man with a gun!!!!" 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I happened to be driving a LE vehicle for a few hours today, listened to a ton of calls, but I heard one call that was "man in camo with a shotgun".

Sometime later the deputy responds with "uh, so what's he doing, what's the concern, is he shooting it?"

Comm center responds with "RP says he is walking with it". Silence. "Uh OK, we'll go take a look"
Nothing came of it, but I was talking to another deputy today and he says they categorize "man with a gun" calls as "dumb calls".
This is an FYI for those of you who OC. Now of course SPD would have already shot him.

I really need to buy a scanner, there was some serious entertainment to be had. The highlight was hearing the word "crapfest" used to describe one of the calls.

Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

this just gives an insight to whats said when *you* 911 call. :rofl9:

*by you, i mean anyone of us making a 911 report.

Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:39 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After working in a dispatch center, I have heard some good ones, but for some reason one stands out.

Caller
There is a cat in a tree.
Me
I will talk to my chief and see what he wants us to do
Caller
Thanks

Ten minutes later
Caller
That cat is still in the tree
Me
My chief says we don't respond unless there is some type of life in danger. I am sure the cat will come down.

This goes on for hours, this lady will not give it up. Finally my chief tells me to transfer the call to him next time she calls. So she calls and I transfer it. She does not call back. The next day I asked my chief what he told her. He said, " In all my years I have seen a lot of things in trees, but do you know one thing I have never seen in a tree? What? A cat skeleton.

Classic

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:46 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I work a lot with SPD and a couple officers have told me dispatch will broadcast most MWAG calls as "information only", meaning if an officer's bored they might check it out, but otherwise they aren't required to respond and don't really care. The dispatchers I've dealt with are fairly good too so I imagine they make the callers feel pretty stupid.

Sent from my UAV using Disposition Matrix 2.0

Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mcyclonegt wrote:
After working in a dispatch center, I have heard some good ones, but for some reason one stands out.

Caller
There is a cat in a tree.
Me
I will talk to my chief and see what he wants us to do
Caller
Thanks

Ten minutes later
Caller
That cat is still in the tree
Me
My chief says we don't respond unless there is some type of life in danger. I am sure the cat will come down.

This goes on for hours, this lady will not give it up. Finally my chief tells me to transfer the call to him next time she calls. So she calls and I transfer it. She does not call back. The next day I asked my chief what he told her. He said, " In all my years I have seen a lot of things in trees, but do you know one thing I have never seen in a tree? What? A cat skeleton.

Classic

Reminds me of when I was working the road at Bragg (MP), desk Sgt had a call transferred to him, lady complaining about helicopters flying over on base housing when her kid is trying to take a nap (no shit, helicopters on Bragg?)

All I hear is "OK ma'am, here's what I need you to do. If you really want to make a complaint, I need you to get a pair of binoculars and get the tail numbers from those helicopter. Until then, I can't do shit about it, because I don't have patrol cars that can fucking fly" and hangs up on her.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:48 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Love it.

It would be classic if you could hear both sides, the 911 call and the radio traffic. I guess working dispatch or something you would.

There was a call about a tree down on some power wires. Dispatch said "there's a fire, explosions, and caller says a car drove into the wires and....."
Turns out tree fell on the wires, and nothing much more. Deputy said "yeah stopped traffic, just waiting for PSE"

Does anyone have any suggestions on scanner brands/models?

Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:17 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

http://www.interceptradio.com/WA.htm

http://www.interceptradio.com/bbs/

This should keep you busy for the next month or so.

Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:30 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AR15L wrote:

OK, that's pretty awesome. Thanks!

Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AR15L wrote:

You weren't kidding!

Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:00 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use 5-0 Radio on my iPhone, but it's limited.

Sent from my UAV using Disposition Matrix 2.0

Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

tag for later.

Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Scanner Radio Pro for the phone, or www.radioreference.com to listen on the web.

Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:46 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

ANZAC wrote:
I happened to be driving a LE vehicle for a few hours today, listened to a ton of calls, but I heard one call that was "man in camo with a shotgun".

Sometime later the deputy responds with "uh, so what's he doing, what's the concern, is he shooting it?"

Comm center responds with "RP says he is walking with it". Silence. "Uh OK, we'll go take a look"
Nothing came of it, but I was talking to another deputy today and he says they categorize "man with a gun" calls as "dumb calls".
This is an FYI for those of you who OC. Now of course SPD would have already shot him.

I really need to buy a scanner, there was some serious entertainment to be had. The highlight was hearing the word "crapfest" used to describe one of the calls.

This is new for the SPD because they have paid out money for being hostile to a few OC folks. I know Portland PD will respond and if you get mouthy, they will apply "Stupid Tax".

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:49 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anyone interested, shoot me a PM with what agencies you want to monitor, and I'll suggest a scanner model for you....

I'm a commo guy.... ;)

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]