Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:52 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 New knife work in progress 

ironworker78 wrote:
sportsdad60 wrote:
Beautiful Ironworker.

Have you seen this guy's work that makes knives out of old mosin-nagant barrels?

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017 ... t-barrels/

Those are pretty awesome. Do you have a barrel to donate so I can try it?

I have a really old barrel that I would donate. I am in Puyallup as well

Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ryanl4570 wrote:
ironworker78 wrote:
sportsdad60 wrote:
Beautiful Ironworker.

Have you seen this guy's work that makes knives out of old mosin-nagant barrels?

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017 ... t-barrels/

Those are pretty awesome. Do you have a barrel to donate so I can try it?

I have a really old barrel that I would donate. I am in Puyallup as well

Awesome! Thank you. What is it from?

Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Big thank you to Ryanl4570. He hooked me up with an old gun barrel to try making a knife out of. Should be fun. When I get to it I will post up pictures here.

Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Awesome!

Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:48 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bevel, jimping and heat treat are done in this photo

Finish work and etching are completed.

Handle is applied to tang of knife.

Handle is shaped and cross pin installed. Only thing left is to sharpen to a razors edge.

Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's one made from a piece of shotgun barrel and some steel shot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWusS5Ja0Ys

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You have some real skills Ironworker78, can you post some pics of the process leading up to the forming of the blade?
I'd like to see that. How long does it take you to make one of your knives? Would you be interested in a class sometime for some of us?
I'd be up for that.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice. Do you Spring temper your blade?

I Believe in the United States of America as a government of the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign Nation of many sovereign States; a perfect union, one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice, and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes. I believe it is my duty to my country to love it, to support its Constitution, to obey its laws, to respect its flag, and to defend it against all enemies."
William Tyler Page 1917

Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:52 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
You have some real skills Ironworker78, can you post some pics of the process leading up to the forming of the blade?
I'd like to see that. How long does it take you to make one of your knives? Would you be interested in a class sometime for some of us?
I'd be up for that.

There are only a few steps before the forging starts, welding the ends of the cable, and heating to red hot to clean and twist tight.as far as time goes it varies a little but the latest took about 3 hours to forge, 2 hours to file the bevel another 2 hours to heat treat, probably 2 hours to finish the blade, 3 more hours to handle, and an hour to sharpen. Because I only setup to do one at a time there is a lot of waste in there, also I use all hand tools which are way slower. If I had a good setup I could cut it in half at least. As far as a class goes, I think that would be fun.

Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old Jim wrote:
Nice. Do you Spring temper your blade?

I have not tried that yet. This last one was probably closer to a spring than the rest have been because I ran the temper cycle too hot.

Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ironworker78 wrote:
usrifle wrote:
I'd be up for that.

There are only a few steps before the forging starts, welding the ends of the cable, and heating to red hot to clean and twist tight.as far as time goes it varies a little but the latest took about 3 hours to forge, 2 hours to file the bevel another 2 hours to heat treat, probably 2 hours to finish the blade, 3 more hours to handle, and an hour to sharpen. Because I only setup to do one at a time there is a lot of waste in there, also I use all hand tools which are way slower. If I had a good setup I could cut it in half at least. As far as a class goes, I think that would be fun.

Do you have a belt grinder?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Selador wrote:
ironworker78 wrote:
usrifle wrote:
I'd be up for that.

Nope. I use a file.

Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ironworker78 wrote:
Selador wrote:
ironworker78 wrote:
usrifle wrote:
I'd be up for that.

Nope. I use a file.

Do you not want one? Because you can make one from an old treadmill.

Do justice. Love mercy.

Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been on the fence between buying and building. I might sell my tommy gun to pay for a kmg....maybe.

Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ironworker78 wrote:
I've been on the fence between buying and building. I might sell my tommy gun to pay for a kmg....maybe.

Man, I wouldn't sell a gun to pay for a machine that you can make almost for free!

Check out craigslist, or the local "no-buy" groups on facebook, for free treadmills.

The motor is usually still good on them. Then you've already got speed controls. Plus they have weighty flywheels on the motors. And talk about torque. Imagine the torque it takes to keep that belt moving under a 300 to 400 pound person!

Most of the frame is usually good for the frame of your machine. If you HAPPEN to get one with a bad motor, look for another one. Don't buy one! Just have patience, someone will want to toss one, sooner or later. Having more than one, gives you better options on frame pieces, too.

This will leave you with having to possible buy the wheels. (I am going to just buy heavy duty crane, and table type wheels at tractor supply.) Maybe a pulley or two. Again, tractor supply. Maybe welding supplies. Grinding/cutting wheels, etc.

If you are really handy you can make the wheels, and pulleys yourself. The platen will be no big deal, you'll probably find what you need, on the treadmill, as well. You can even make a tiny wheel to put on the front, by stacking skateboard bearings on a bolt.

Go search DIY belt grinder, and similar searches on google and youtube, they're all over the place. If you can make a knife, you can make a belt grinder, and save yourself several hundred dollars!

Do justice. Love mercy.

Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next