Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:24 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next
 The QUICK ADVICE Thread 
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Avoid Facialbook.

No charge for you, bud. :cheers2:

Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
I'm on Facebook, reading something interesting . . . and I accidentally click on a link, such as someone's name. The browser goes to that new page.

Now, the question: How do I get back to what I was reading originally?

If I hit the "back" button in my browser, it takes me back to the news feed but it goes to the top and 'recalculates' or whatever it does, and it can be really hard to find the post I was originally reading.

Try searching your browser history

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:12 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I was doing some repair work on a tractor rim, scabbling (not quite, but using a pneumatic needle scaler) and going through a lot of air. The air compressor didn't start when it was supposed to so I shut the air off and there the motor sat, humming away. Damnation. It's a good old USA unit, and I didn't know how long it had been humming there - hadn't tripped the breaker or the motor OLs, and I had had ear plugs in and ear muffs on.
Tried bleeding the pressure off and restarting- not even a wiggle, just a hum.
I pulled the capacitor but it looked pristine... and 90% of the blown start capacitors that I've replaced over the years have shown some physical sign of failure.
It is fairly easy to test a capacitor for open/short, but the bigger they are the more time it takes. A good big cap starts out looking like a short, then tapers to an open, time frame dependent on the size.)
Underneath the capacitor was this :
The technical term used for this is "zorched". Clearly, this was well zorched.
But I didn't see a mark on the cap!
I have had a few start caps fail with no mark, but look at that zorch. Amazing. There should be destruction to the cap case.
It has bugged me since this happened, kind of chewing on it in the back of my mind for the last few weeks, so today I dug out the old cap and looked it over more closely. With the size of that zorch, I expected that the burn on the cap would be clear, but in normal garage lighting - nada. Fingers carefully feeling the surface- nada.
But under a bright light I found this:
That may look obvious in this photo, but even knowing exactly where it is it doesn't stand out to the naked eye. If anything, it looks darker, cleaner, smoother than the area around it. The camera flash and magnification was needed to find the mark.
I asked my Missus to look, in case it is a sign of age-related macular degeneration (a reasonable possibility, given the dementia and need for a walker) but she also could not find it without a bright light and magnifying glass.

Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can't find ethanol free fuel? And why DOES ethanol suck (hint: it's hydrophilic)? and how can you get rid of it?

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

FJB

Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:29 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

jukk0u wrote:
Can't find ethanol free fuel? And why DOES ethanol suck (hint: it's hydrophilic)? and how can you get rid of it?

From the comments... :ROFLMAO:
Quote:
MrCougar214: <snip>
When our government tells you they are doing it to "save you money", back yourself into a corner and superglue your ass cheeks shut!

Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:50 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
MadPick wrote:
I'm on Facebook, reading something interesting . . . and I accidentally click on a link, such as someone's name. The browser goes to that new page.

If I hit the "back" button in my browser, it takes me back to the news feed but it goes to the top and 'recalculates' or whatever it does, and it can be really hard to find the post I was originally reading.

When on my computer, I right-click and select "open in a new tab". When I'm done reading whatever, I just close the tab.

I am free because I say I am. My freedom is not dependent on any government benefit or piece of legislation. My rights are inherent in the fact that I was born a sovereign being. They are non-negotiable. The government can list them and protect them, but my rights are not theirs to give away.

Yolo: Because idiots don't know what "carpe diem" means.

What, do you think I`m an amateur? You think this is Amateur hour? I`m covered in broken glass and hatred. You think someone would want to anger that with a Vz? - Fjordforder

Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:34 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Captain90s wrote:
When on my computer, I right-click and select "open in a new tab". When I'm done reading whatever, I just close the tab.

Yeah, I do that if it's an intentional click . . . my issue is when I accidentally click a link, which usually happens when the browser is lagging and I try to click something but suddenly something else is there.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have that issue also, I have figured out how to do it on my IPhone by swiping right, I would just visit the page the article you were reading. BTW, Facebook sucks ass, just in general.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:11 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

The phrase "Security Exemplar" is used several times in the CFRs involving firearms.
It is always capitalized like that ^ so I expected it to have a special CFR definition.
I couldn't find it.
Anyone know the .Gov definition for Security Exemplar?
Exemplar is defined as : A person or thing serving as a typical example or excellent model
That seems fine by itself, but the fact that both words are capitalized makes me suspicious.

The closest to a definition that I could find is from :
http://orchidadvisors.com/now-you-see-i ... t-for-now/
Quote:
The statute, itself, is only three pages long, and reflects an interesting, if very precise, definition of the point at which a firearm would become “undetectable”. Under 18 U.S.C. §922(p)(2)(C) the minimum threshold construction, referred to as a “Security Exemplar” contains “…3.7 ounces of material type 17-4 PH stainless steel in a shape resembling a handgun,” allowing for “…such lesser amount as is detectable in view of advances in state-of-the-art developments in weapons detection technology.”

Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:02 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Building a small set of steps from the garage into the house... The rise is 22.5" to the rough opening, so 23.5" to the top of the exterior door sill.
Rough numbers - 24" rise, so I have to choose between 6" and 8" per step.

Is there a clear preference that I am missing? At this point in the house build I am feeling like a bowl of mush. Body and mind. :bigsmile:

Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:33 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
Building a small set of steps from the garage into the house... The rise is 22.5" to the rough opening, so 23.5" to the top of the exterior door sill.

Is there a clear preference that I am missing? At this point in the house build I am feeling like a bowl of mush. Body and mind. :bigsmile:

Only thing I can think of is...

Carrying groceries or whatever, into the house... Especially since you aren't going to get any younger...

Smaller rise to the steps is going to make it easier for older bones.

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:41 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:

The Perfect Stair (in my opinion):
rise r = 7″
run R = 11″
r+R = 18″ (perfect)
2r+R = 25″ (perfect)
→ Stair will be comfortable

I totally hate those looongggg 4" steps

Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:41 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

EDIT: ^ what he said.

6" steps... more of them... but less effort to raise your feet and the steps stick out further from the vertical rise.

8" is probably more what you would be accustomed to in an interior stairway/more natural gait.

FJB

Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Captain90s wrote:
jukk0u wrote:
MadPick wrote:

Yep.

Buddy at work calls me "the tab master". I use the shit out of tabs.

Currently running with 23 open tabs.....Im not addicted, I can quit whenever I want!

Spoiler: show
"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

"The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction." - St. George Tucker

A careful definition of words would destroy half the agenda of the political left and scrutinizing evidence would destroy the other half. - Thomas Sowell

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow...

For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding." - Jeff Snyder

Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys. It realizes the ancient dream of the Jovian thunderbolt, and as such it is the embodiment of personal power. For this reason it exercises a curious influence over the minds of most men, and in its best examples it constitutes an object of affection unmatched by any other inanimate object.

Jeff Cooper
1997 The Art of the Rifle Page 1.

SUGGEST CASE BE SUBMITTED ON APPELLANT'S BRIEF. UNABLE TO OBTAIN ANY MONEY FROM CLIENTS TO BE PRESENT & ARGUE BRIEF.

The defense attorney's telegram to the clerk of the Supreme Court, March 29, 1939, in re United States. v. Miller.

You don't need to go to Law School to understand the constitutional implications of that.

“You can’t cut the throat of every cocksucker whose character it would improve.”
cityslicker wrote:
I don't want to be told that I can't remove the tree by some tree-hugging pole smoker from the eat-a-dick foundation/Olympia/King County.

Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:46 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jdhbulseye wrote:
Captain90s wrote:
jukk0u wrote:
MadPick wrote:

Yep.

Buddy at work calls me "the tab master". I use the shit out of tabs.

Currently running with 23 open tabs.....Im not addicted, I cant quit whenever I want!

I do the same. All day long, every day.

Right from the start. For as long as tabs have been available in browsers.

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next