Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:43 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 165 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Setting up a Baofeng Radio With CHIRP Software 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok, you bought a $30ish handheld ham radio. Maybe you actually have a license, maybe you are planning on getting one. Maybe you think it doesn't matter, because after the November election there will be no law, and your Chinese radio will be the only way you have to communicate with your fellow militia members scattered across the area. Regardless, there is a really easy way to program repeaters into the little fuckers.

First get a goddamned radio. This is what I have http://amzn.to/2flCOws, a variation on the venerable UV-5 series. Sure it's "only" 5 watts, but bigger isn't always better, 8 watts and a shitty antenna will get smoked by 5 watts and somebody with enough working brain cells to put a decent antenna on a radio. You can spend more to get an 8 watt radio and a good antenna, but there is little need to, unless you want to be Billy Baofeng Badass, or are actually trying to work some serious distance. At which point, ditch the fucking handheld and get a base station or mobile unit.

Now get an antenna. This little motherfucker is awesome, just buy it. http://amzn.to/2e2VjUu

Lastly, you need a programming cable. http://amzn.to/2e2X583

Now download the CHIRP software. http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

Some Windows users report having problems with drivers for their USB cables when using CHIRP. If you support Paul Allen and his gun grabbing ways by buying Microsoft software and get an error message, a quick web search will reveal fixes. There are several and it's beyond the scope of this post to pick over them all. I had to make a minor tweak on my Linux system to get the computer talking to the radio, odds are this won't work right away.

But congratulations, you've managed to troubleshoot simple problems with well documented fixes! Hooray! On to the fun stuff.

Run CHIRP. You'll get a screen like this.
Really exciting huh? Now plug in your radio and turn it on. Click Radio and choose Download From Radio.

Choose the correct radio brand and model number, and a USB port, like on this screen.

Hit OK, and you'll get a message with generic instructions, followed by this screen.

Now you'll get something kinda like this. Here, I've already got two repeaters programmed into my radio. But we can add more from here.
Click Radio, then choose import from data source, and choose one.

I use Repeater Book. Here you get a list of a metric fuckton of repeaters in the US by state and county.
Let's add another one. I want to add a 2 meter repeater in Mason County. Choose the repeater(s) you want and hit OK.
Now we've got another repeater added. The number next to it is the channel programmed into your radio, and it just takes the position it is in from the county listing in Repeater Book.

However, as we see now, when you add that repeater, you can click on the position number, type in the channel number you want assigned and have it placed in memory.

Now we've added our repeaters. Click Radio, then upload to radio, and you'll end up with this screen. When the cloning bar fills up and the cloning screen closes, your radio is now programmed with the repeaters and can be used right away. Close CHIRP, disconnect your radio from the computer and you are good to go.

If you are in Oly and want to program your radio, drop me a line, and we can meet somewhere and I'll bring my laptop and programming cable. Only takes a couple minutes to program repeaters into a radio this way.

There are other ways to program a Baofeng and a lot more options and choices with them and CHIRP. This post isn't about them. But this post will get repeaters programmed into your radio in minutes, and make life much easier.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is super valuable. I wonder if the USB driver issue with Mac OSX has been fixed.

Only half of my radios have been programmed.

Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Benja455 wrote:
This is super valuable. I wonder if the USB driver issue with Mac OSX has been fixed.

Only half of my radios have been programmed.

Dunno, but if you make it down to Mexico, we can fix that problem.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I keep reading about good programming cables vs. bad cables.
Isn't that where most of the problems are?

Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AR15L wrote:
I keep reading about good programming cables vs. bad cables.
Isn't that where most of the problems are?

I think there are some counterfeit ones out there, I believe there is a controller chip in the cable. Everything I linked to I own personally and have used with success and should all be from trusted vendors. There are fake Nagoya antennas out there too that can fuck up your radio.

Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Amazon supplier link straight from Baofeng:
https://www.amazon.com/l/6681956011
I too bought the "real" antenna from Amazon.
Now I need the cable.

Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:32 pm

I was just looking at getting in to this a few days ago. Well, I just purchased the three items you suggested and hope you don't mind me asking some questions once I get started.

Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:25 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How did you know I was looking into this? I have 2 books on Ham Radio checked out from the library and an app on my phone for learning/practice tests.

I figured if I buy a radio now I can spend time learning how to listen and program it. Turn it into a FRS radio for transmitting, and a GMRS radio. Listen in on the Ham radio bands. I think it will work on the CB bands also?

Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:05 am

Is the 8 watt baofeng not a true 8 watts then?

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:11 am

I have read a lot and watched some videos on the 8 watt, most of what I have heard is that its closer to ow 7s.

Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:36 am
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Tag for later.

Mark is a Baofeng dealer at the WAC show. Will be there this weekend.

Todd

Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Excellent, thank you for posting.

Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ryanl4570 wrote:
I was just looking at getting in to this a few days ago. Well, I just purchased the three items you suggested and hope you don't mind me asking some questions once I get started.

Sure, no problem

Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mediumrarechicken wrote:
Is the 8 watt baofeng not a true 8 watts then?

It seems to come out closer to 7w from what I hear, but I think it's a waste of power and battery life unless you are in a situation that requires pushing all the power you can AND you are running a quality antenna. Even then, given the limitations of the 2m band, I think 5w and a well made antenna is all you really need. An extra couple watts might push you through in a very marginal situation, or it might just run your battery down. Better to carry a well made 2m dipole with you and call it good, rather than play the power game.

Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:51 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

I use mine often in Simplex for local stuff and via repeater for the entire SNO Valley and beyond. I talk often to Edmonds and Auburn. Club repeater on Cougar Mountain is always on, connected to the internet and battery/solar back up. I refuse to use the OEM antenna that come with them. The great part about CHIRP is you can set up different files for the areas you are going too. Like Seattle, Yakima, Portland or Bellingham. Then just put it on scan and wait to hear who is talking.

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:39 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 165 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next