Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:56 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Museum of Flight 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Going for the first time tomorrow. What do I need to know, see, and do? Can I carry there?

Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:30 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Yes, you can carry. See it all. Take your time. Read, absorb, move slowly.

Although I'd been there 5+ times before I took my grand dad (WWII vet) there on his birthday just about a year before he died, that was the best trip ever. We spent the whole day, there. Better than half the day in the WWII fighter plane display. We talked. I mean really talked about his life and memories of being young. Grandma said he talked about that day for months afterward. One of my best memories of grandpa.

Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Carry, you will have no issues. I've done it 3 or more times - it's an awesome place and will surely go again.

Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Concealed not open carry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Chrisb9381 wrote:
Going for the first time tomorrow. What do I need to know, see, and do? Can I carry there?

Enjoy. Take your time and absorb the finer details. Get a sense of how much has changed in the last 100 years or so.

Carry? Sure, it's our right. If I may however, from a lifetime spent in aviation, it would be very unlikely to find a fellow museum patron that would pose a threat..

Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

joao01 wrote:
Concealed not open carry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I went it got warm, and took off my coat. OC 1911 no one said squat.

Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been a member since inception of the museum and was privileged enough to do some work on the Boeing "Bee" B-17.

Start with the main museum.
Then work your way to the WW1 section (Upstairs, the entrance is near the restrooms) and then downstairs to the WW2 section. Then do the Red Barn. Finish with the open air park by walking over the Skyway.
Don't pay the extra $$ for the cockpit tour of the Space Shuttle, it's not worth it IMO. You can still board the cargo bay though.

I wouldn't do the tour either. There is plenty of information on each plane on the plaques in front of each display. But if you're into standing around a lot, go for it.

Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:43 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Been a long time since I was last there. One of the cool aircraft was an outside display of a Boeing B-47 Stratojet. Lesser known swept wing strategic bomber that pre-dated the B-52 by about five years.

Inside some of the highlights were an ALCM cruise missile and also a Lockheed Martin M-21 Blackbird, an unusual variant of the A-12 CIA program which was the predecessor of the USAF SR-71.

I believe there's also a North American F-86 Sabre which was a backbone of USAF aerial combat operations in the Korean War. Other highlights include a Lockheed F-104 Starfighter, Lockheed P-38 Lightning, McDonnell-Douglas F-4 Phantom, and Northrop F-5. This doesn't even touch on the variety of WWI and WWII aircraft also on display.

Be sure to leave time for the Personal Courage Wing including exhibits of WWII aircraft including a P-51 Mustang with wing cut-away revealing the Browning 50 caliber machine guns used as primary armament. There's also a Space Wing across the street which is really cool.

Enjoy the visit, it's a great museum.

Hope to make it also to the USAF Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB in Dayton, Ohio in the next couple years.

Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:30 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The MOF is easily the best bargain (and the coolest) for family museum membership in the area. Get the more expensive version--I can't remember what it is, you end up wearing a bright safety red wristband--and it'll pay for itself in two or three trips, depending on how many short people you have in tow.

Especially with this year being Boeing's centennial anniversary, I've tried to take the boys at least once a month all year long. We must've gone eight or nine times over the summer.

The WWI exhibit is very well done, the boys love it (flight simulators!) but I'm not much on it--I have the bloodstained pocket Bible my great-grandfather carried during the Great War, and no, I have no interest in seeing re-enacted what he told me about when I was a small girl. Of course, he made it sound like a great adventure--he lied about his age to enlist, and at 15, was flying planes made of cloth and paper and wood into combat. It wasn't until I was much older that I understood the horrors he faced, or how lucky he was to survive the multiple plane crashes, six by the count in the Bible but maybe more.

The other thing to watch for is the Challenger video in the Shuttle exhibit area. Still a punch in the gut all these years later to hear "Challenger, go for throttle up" if you're not prepared to hear it; my entire elementary school was watching the launch, we'd done weeks of study on the subject of space and space travel, and the sight and sound of teachers collapsing into tears all around the auditorium is seared into my memory.

As to carry, I don't think that is an issue. Concealed is concealed.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."
~Tenzin Gyatso, aka His Holiness the Dalai Lama

"We who are strong have an obligation to bear with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves."
~ Romans 15:1

"Ils Ont Les Armes, On Les Emmerde, On A Le Champagne!"~Charlie Hebdo, November 2015

Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I need to go back on my own sometime so I can really spend the time to take it all in without having to chase my 3 year old around. Good time still.

Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thought I'd post up two other incredible aerospace museums, albeit out of area:

National Museum of the US Air Force @ Wright Patterson AFB in Dayton, Ohio
http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/

Incredible variety of displays dating back to the origins of land based air power under the Army Air Forces with exhibits dedicated to WWI and WWII. Of course, after the inception of the USAF in 1947 there are also exhibits for Cold War history as well as the development of Air Force missile programs (Thor IRBM, Jupiter MRBM, Minuteman I & III ICMB and Peacekeeper ICBM). Also very unusual aircraft like the North American X-15, the only remaining North American XB-70 Valkyrie, whole array of Century Series fighters, and so forth.

The original Memphis Belle is also under restoration here.

The Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum in Washington, D.C.
https://airandspace.si.edu/

Glamorous Glennis, the Bell X-1, piloted by Gen. Chuck Yeager to break the sound barrier is on display as well as numerous other X-series aircraft. The Enola Gay, Boeing B-29 Stratofortress used to drop the Little Boy bomb on Hiroshima is also on display.

Hope to visit both of these national treasures in the next couple years.

Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are other local Airplane museums: http://flyingheritage.com/

Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did this 180 degree panorama of the Boeing Museum of Flight main floor the last time I was there:

The Right to Buy Weapons Is the Right to Be Free

Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]