Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:19 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 So I was driving down I-5 yesterday afternoon and WTF? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

pdrake wrote:
This brings up memories. Other than Old Jim, I don't know if any of you are old enough to remember this.

In the 1970s, post oil shock, the feds implemented a nationwide 55mph rule on federally financed highways and freeways. If that weren't bad enough, around the time of the Sweater President, folks decided to take it upon themselves to regulate the consumption of gasoline, by blocking drivers who wanted to exceed the 55mph limit. I kid you not, people actually blocked others from "speeding."

I don't know how old "Old Jim" is but I'll bet that I'm right up there with him (I was born when FDR was President.

Not only do I remember the beginning of the 55 mph national speed limit, I have one very memorable event from that time. Driving south from Mt Vernon in the left lane in my 75 Dodge Power Wagon at 64 mph. Some piece of butt fuzz changed lanes into my lane and proceeded to slow down to 55. (PS, he had to speed to get in front of me). I merely moved right and passed him as the center lane traffic was going about 60. Changed back into the left lane and went back up to 64. A few minutes later, same piece of butt crust pulled back in front of me and you guessed it, slowed to 50.

This continued for a couple more times before I decided I had enough. The homicidal part of my brain was saying "If he does it again, do not slow down. Just hit him and give the ride of his life. The rational part of my brain kicked in just as I was about 3' from his rear bumper (and trust me, the view in his rear view mirror was only a huge bumper mounted winch.). I moved left and passed with the right wheels on the shoulder apron and my left wheels on gravel. My truck was full time 4X4 so the left wheels spun a little in the gravel but control from the asphalt traction on the right kept me straight. I passed him at full throttle (knocking down plastic reflector stakes as I went) then moved back into the driving lane. Looked back in my mirrors and there was a HUGE cloud of dust with this piece of butt cling invisible behind it. From the sound of the gravel hitting my inner fenders it's no doubt that he caught the worst of it.

I continued on at 64 until I got to Marysville. No cops waiting for me and no cops came to visit me later. Wonder how much crap he had to clean out of his pants.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:42 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

deadshot2 wrote:
I don't know how old "Old Jim" is but I'll bet that I'm right up there with him (I was born when FDR was President.

Old Jim was also born when there was a Roosevelt in the White House.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

deadshot2 wrote:
pdrake wrote:
This brings up memories. Other than Old Jim, I don't know if any of you are old enough to remember this.

In the 1970s, post oil shock, the feds implemented a nationwide 55mph rule on federally financed highways and freeways. If that weren't bad enough, around the time of the Sweater President, folks decided to take it upon themselves to regulate the consumption of gasoline, by blocking drivers who wanted to exceed the 55mph limit. I kid you not, people actually blocked others from "speeding."

Not only do I remember the beginning of the 55 mph national speed limit, I have one very memorable event from that time. Driving south from Mt Vernon in the left lane in my 75 Dodge Power Wagon at 64 mph. Some piece of butt fuzz changed lanes into my lane and proceeded to slow down to 55. (PS, he had to speed to get in front of me). I merely moved right and passed him as the center lane traffic was going about 60. Changed back into the left lane and went back up to 64. A few minutes later, same piece of butt crust pulled back in front of me and you guessed it, slowed to 50.

This continued for a couple more times before I decided I had enough. The homicidal part of my brain was saying "If he does it again, do not slow down. Just hit him and give the ride of his life. The rational part of my brain kicked in just as I was about 3' from his rear bumper (and trust me, the view in his rear view mirror was only a huge bumper mounted winch.). I moved left and passed with the right wheels on the shoulder apron and my left wheels on gravel. My truck was full time 4X4 so the left wheels spun a little in the gravel but control from the asphalt traction on the right kept me straight. I passed him at full throttle (knocking down plastic reflector stakes as I went) then moved back into the driving lane. Looked back in my mirrors and there was a HUGE cloud of dust with this piece of butt cling invisible behind it. From the sound of the gravel hitting my inner fenders it's no doubt that he caught the worst of it.

I continued on at 64 until I got to Marysville. No cops waiting for me and no cops came to visit me later. Wonder how much crap he had to clean out of his pants.

Did something similar in my 8-6 about 15 years ago.
No reflector stakes. Lots of random gravel and other goober shit on the side of the road though.
He backed WAY the fuck off.

Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:20 pm

deadshot2 wrote:
(snip)
A few minutes later, same piece of butt crust pulled back in front of me and you guessed it
(snip)

Butt crust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Inger19 wrote:
deadshot2 wrote:
(snip)
A few minutes later, same piece of butt crust pulled back in front of me and you guessed it
(snip)

Butt crust.

It's one of those things that if it has to be explained, one would never understand :bigsmile:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:42 am

deadshot2 wrote:
Inger19 wrote:
deadshot2 wrote:
(snip)
(snip)

Butt crust.

It's one of those things that if it has to be explained, one would never understand :bigsmile:

Oh no I understood it. There was no question mark. I just thought it needed to be said again. Butt crust. Huhuhuh butt crust.

Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

^^^

Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Haa haa

Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
deadshot2 wrote:

OK, I am 77. Happy Now? :bigsmile:

I Believe in the United States of America as a government of the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign Nation of many sovereign States; a perfect union, one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice, and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes. I believe it is my duty to my country to love it, to support its Constitution, to obey its laws, to respect its flag, and to defend it against all enemies."
William Tyler Page 1917

Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:19 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

My gripe about the left lane is this. I drive with cruise control on as often as possible. 69-70mph left lane on the freeway. If someone comes up on my ass I move right and let them pass. Then what happens 1/2 the time? I move back left and a mile later the car I just let past is going 65mph now and slowing me down.

Fucking fuckers! Regulate your speed!

Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:17 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Old Jim wrote:
MadPick wrote:
deadshot2 wrote:

OK, I am 77. Happy Now? :bigsmile:

Oh. My bad, I had the wrong Roosevelt.

:peep:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sinus211 wrote:
My gripe about the left lane is this. I drive with cruise control on as often as possible. 69-70mph left lane on the freeway. If someone comes up on my ass I move right and let them pass. Then what happens 1/2 the time? I move back left and a mile later the car I just let past is going 65mph now and slowing me down.

Fucking fuckers! Regulate your speed!

This SOOO much!

Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2