Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:48 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Parking idiots 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On the other hand i do have a real problem with people with Handicapped parking who don't really need them and only have them for personal convenience.

(I am certainly not talking about you Jeff)

They are too easy to get apparently, i base that on people i know personally at work who have them and have no real need.

That is not an observation by just watching someone moving just fine on two legs getting out of a car one day, but knowing them personally and watching them throughout a days work over a long period of time. (Years in some cases).

I can't even say anything about it either. I would either create bad Blood or there would be a "Butthurt" report filed to HR so i grit my Teeth and let it go.

Fortunately we have plenty of Handicapped parking at my work so the people who really need it don't seem to be inconvenienced by the ones who cheat the system.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWGunner wrote:
Sorry, Jeff, that wasn't a shot at you, it was just part of what came to mind in general on the topic...

I saw your pic when this was originally posted, but only got around to responding now, and didnt look again.

Some people just don't get that, if you can only manage a few thousand steps a day, that extra distance at the store may mean you can't walk the dog, or take your trash bins out that night. For people with no family and who need groceries, prescriptions, o both, it can be a big deal.

I know people who've gone home because there was no handicapped parking, and they wouldn't have made it into the house if they had walked the extra 100 feet.

There are others who don't necessarily need to park close, but they need the driver's door to be able to open all the way because they have a prosthetic leg that doesn't bend, or need to get a wheel chair or oxygen tank out of that side of th car.
That is EXACTLY why I have a placard.

There are only just so many steps in the day before I become so painful, and exhausted from the pain, that to go any further is excruciating! No family. No caretaker. Just me, dealing with things the best I can. :bigsmile:

This is also why I use the motorized carts in stores wherever they are available. Before I got over my embarrassment about that, I'd get to maybe two stores, and I'd be done for, before I even got halfway finished at the third. I go to town maybe three times a month. Used to be only once. So I do as much as I can, while I am there. Many is the time when I'd be nearing the checkout at the grocery store, last stop of the day, desperately hanging on to my shopping card, wishing for a place where I could just sit down. Felt like I was dieing. More than once, seriously almost passed out.
usrifle wrote:
On the other hand i do have a real problem with people with Handicapped parking who don't really need them and only have them for personal convenience.

(I am certainly not talking about you Jeff)

They are too easy to get apparently, i base that on people i know personally at work who have them and have no real need.

That is not an observation by just watching someone moving just fine on two legs getting out of a car one day, but knowing them personally and watching them throughout a days work over a long period of time. (Years in some cases).

I can't even say anything about it either. I would either create bad Blood or there would be a "Butthurt" report filed to HR so i grit my Teeth and let it go.

Fortunately we have plenty of Handicapped parking at my work so the people who really need it don't seem to be inconvenienced by the ones who cheat the system.
And yup, I get funny looks from people for that, all the time. They can't see an obvious handicap, so they assume I have none.

It doesn't help, that sometimes, maybe even for long periods of time, I can walk fairly normally. When that is the case it is easy for even me to forget the above rule... There are only so many steps in a day, before I can't do any more.

When I don't forget that rule, it is fairly easy to brush off the odd looks. When I don't remember it, I pay for it for weeks or even months. In fact I am just coming off of about 5 weeks of being laid up. Almost didn't make it to Everett last saturday, to meet RocketScott. Starting to be able to move around again.

It seems so easy to sit around and do nothing, when you don't have to. But when you are so laid up it hurts to even smile... And it stays that way for weeks... It gets really frustrating not being able to do all the things you need to get done.

As for the handicapped spots... When I am able to get around, more than half the time I don't even use those spots. When I do, it's because I know if I don't, I'll pay for it one way or another. (So I have to ignore the judgemental gawkers.) The times when I really NEED those spots... They are a Godsend!

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:00 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm that guy that parks my vehicles way out in the back forty away from everyone. I'll walk 200 yards in pouring rain, just so I park away from others.
And yet if I drive my truck and have it a quarter of the way over on front or rear(long truck plus hitch) into another stall or swung in and park it even a foot into another spot, some parking lot parking authoritarian sees to it to pull some bullshit stunt. I don't much tolerate it and act out as childish as the idiot that parked really close and definitely makes their poor justification worthless and known. And of course it usually is some crappy rig, so really have to work at making a point.
Park the wife's car way out back also. Yep, I hug the hell outta that line but, I'll come out and generally find another nice and equally expensive car parked next to it, many feet away. Can only assume that they figure I'm way out in the corner avoiding idiots and they'll do the same while parking next to mine knowing they're at least protecting the side of theirs that is next to mine.
Seems that some people have issues with trucks as I've never had an idiot play with my wife's car, only my trucks.
And motorcycle! Shit, I'll park in the front areas in the middle of the stall, to only come out to someone parked halfway into the stall I parked in. It's at those times I wish I had aluminum paniers so I could drag them down the side. Instead I've got the plastic cases that are easily removable, which I've had to do twice just to stand the bike up, using my foot on the car door to maintain my balance of course..

Can't really understand the bullshit quite honestly. If someone is way out and well over a hundred empty stalls away from others, what exactly is the point being made to crowd or block another in? It sure the hell isn't to correct an action when there's over a hundred empty stalls between me and others.
Guess it's purely confrontational of someone looking to express own perceived greatness and authority, without really getting down and thinking about consequences, or abilities, of the individual they are playing with....

My dad got spit on a couple years ago down in AZ for parking in a handicap spot.
His wife was dying from cancer.
Long story short...temp handicap placard on hand, after hospital trip they stopped off at a grocery store. He dropped wife off at front door and parked in regular spot and met her inside. While inside she got to point of needing to leave immediately so he ran out to get car and she stayed inside leaning on the stack of carts just inside door. He parked in the handicap spot and got out, immediately confronted by an idiot. Argument ensued, he got spit on, guy left and he was able to go in to help his wife to the car.

So yes, guess people that confront and pull dumb stunts, are just trying to force their will on others they perceive as wrong. Guess they all must be staunch Democrats!

Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, there are people that those handicap hangers really help.
I'll bet that out of every 100 you might see in a one day only five to ten can really justify using them. (just pulling numbers out of my butt)
I'd also bet that just about everyone here has had a friend or known someone who "borrowed" a card to use for their own shopping trip.

Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:21 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My wife and I both have the "special" plates on our car & Truck. I hunt, and hike regularly, but like Jeff, there are days that I can barely make it out of bed, much less get around. Those days I use the "special" parking. The wife on the other hand is diabetic, has a pacemaker, Continous Afib (Atrial Fibrulation) and diabetic neuropathy. When she is with me in the truck we always use the parking benefit. I get called out on occasion, and just laugh it off.
TW had a note on here a while back. a turtle with the words to the effect that coloring the turtle would help you stay within the lines. Print those out and place on the windshield of the offending vehicle.

I Believe in the United States of America as a government of the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign Nation of many sovereign States; a perfect union, one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice, and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes. I believe it is my duty to my country to love it, to support its Constitution, to obey its laws, to respect its flag, and to defend it against all enemies."
William Tyler Page 1917

Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:55 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Guy I worked with 25 years ago gave me a stack of these cards.
Still find them around the garage from time to time.

Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:29 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I saw a good one yesterday. I watched this lady try to park.

Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:21 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guntrader wrote:
Guy I worked with 25 years ago gave me a stack of these cards.
Still find them around the garage from time to time.

:ROFLMAO: ME TOO!! A friend from a printing company did these in different colors

I've always been tempted to put a red potatoe in the tail pipe

Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:08 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

That's funny, mine are in several colors (mostly orange).
Maybe it was the same guy who printed yours.
One of our customers had a large print company down in the south end.

Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

snozzberries wrote:

She has two death phobias. Red cars, and grocery carts. Tried to stay away from both. :wink05:

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

guntrader... nope this was in HI mom and pop printing company. maybe it was a hype back then

Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Selador wrote:
snozzberries wrote:

She has two death phobias. Red cars, and grocery carts. Tried to stay away from both. :wink05:

Looks like the red car can't park worth a damn either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So nothing personal to those who are developmentally disabled, or have become disabled later on in life. But just because you have a handicapped sticker in your window doesn't mean you have to drive/park like a retard. As other's have mentioned I too try to park away from other vehicles so I don't get car dings. I probably would qualify for a placard, but refuse as I hope they are bettered used by someone who actually needs it. Not just by someone who wants to park close all the time. I guess same could be said for those non-disabled who use the handicapped stall over the regular stall.

Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Saw this one today on my way to the airport. Stopped at In-n-Out and got there before they opened. The parking lot was practically empty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anybody that wants In/out is severely handicapped on many mental/physical levels. So all their spaces should be labeled HC.

Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next