Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:57 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Aging eyes and shooting 

I am currently have a hard time seeing the sights and the targets when I shoot a pistol. I have never worn glasses in my life. I have been wearing cheaters for about 2 years now. I need to get my eyes checked but have heard to go to a Dr that either shoots or understands the concept to help me for my shooting. Is this true?

Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:46 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've worn glasses almost since I can remember. In the last few years, my aging eyes have made it more difficult to shoot like yours have. I have an optometrist up here I could recommend, he's ex-military like I am (USMC I think?), and while I don't think he's an active shooter, he understands what it takes. However, I see you're in Olympia, so maybe someone down there can recommend someone.

I've got what are called "progressive" lenses, which means I can focus on things close up by looking through the bottoms of the lenses, and distant objects by looking through the tops. In the middle ground there's a field of view that allows me to see both my sights and target and you can tilt your head to "widen" this field of view. The optometrist can optimize this middle ground for you if you tell them what you need. The focus changes as you rotate your head, but there's no dividing line like bifocals, it's a smooth transition from near to far and back. You get used to it very quickly.

I had them make some "business" glasses for me some time ago that let me look at the screen of a tablet in my hands and still be able to focus on the other side of the room (maybe 30' - 40' away?) where the projector was putting the image I needed to talk about.

I can still shoot minute of man's head at 200 yards with iron sights on a rifle. However, I've largely moved to optics, at least with my rifles. Been thinking about trying some glass on some of my bigger handguns, but haven't yet.

Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:31 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sigman226 wrote:
I am currently have a hard time seeing the sights and the targets when I shoot a pistol. I have never worn glasses in my life. I have been wearing cheaters for about 2 years now. I need to get my eyes checked but have heard to go to a Dr that either shoots or understands the concept to help me for my shooting. Is this true?

I don't know for sure, but it would probably help.
I can vouch for the following doctor. I got an exam and rudy project shooting glasses with a prescription insert.

MARYJANE HEALEY
16375 N E 85TH STREET #102
REDMOND, WA. 98052
(425) 883-2020

https://www.e-rudy.com/en/products/filter/sub/landing/sport/shooting

Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:31 am

If you have never 'needed' glasses, then its probably about time for you to get some - probably no need to go so far as bifocals yet.... A proper prescription should be all it takes. I got glasses in college when I realized that I couldn't see the black/white boards from more than 3 rows back... been rocking contacts ever since. I'm to the point where I have excellent far vision, good/decent near vision - but have trouble with reading text/ written paperwork. I blame the computer since I can sit and read the screen from 3-4 foot with no problem, but can't focus at less than ~2 foot. Time to get some reading glasses to go with the contacts....

Finding an optometrist that can properly assess and correct your vision is the key - and be honest with yourself and them while evaluating the 'flips' of the lens --- it gets to the point of 'which one is clearer? uummmm... neither - they both suck'. Don't rely on an Americas Best or similar to do a good evaluation, a proper optometrist will do a much better job --- but will probably cost more. Get an eval and prescription from from an optometrist and then go to costco and get the glasses.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Close the distance and grapple ... or see an optometrist.

Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In 2012 I brought a slide in, held it where I want focus and had some safety glasses made. Duvall Family Eye Care.

$250 or so. Best money I spent on the shooting hobby.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
In 2012 I brought a slide in, held it where I want focus and had some safety glasses made. Duvall Family Eye Care.

$250 or so. Best money I spent on the shooting hobby.

Plus 1 for Duvall Family Eye Care, that's who I was talking about.

Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:27 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My instructor told me to stop overthinking it. Don't worry if the sights are blurry. In an emergency are you going to ask the BG to wait while you put on your glasses?

Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OP - I hear ya, I've always had excellent vision (20/10) but have still noticed a decline in recent years. A red dot sight on your pistol slide can help a lot, so you only need to focus on the target, not the sights. It's not a cheap option, but can help you shoot a lot better.

Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last eye exam I took my Aimpoint Pro to the eye exam. I went years without an astigmatism, but my eyes finally went that route. I had the optometrist make adjustments until I had a perfect dot. She thought it was cool - no issues.

My mistake was going for perfect sight far away, which makes it difficult to focus on the sights. My advice, don't go too strong trying to see a crystal clear target at 25 yards.

Pretty good video here on sight focus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPtTs42sVAM

Last edited by mmalleck on Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just recently had an eye exam, along with new prescription. I also asked for "Shooting glasses". They were a bit confused, and asked me to clarify. I explained I wanted a set of glasses with the right eye lens focused as the lower lens. Left side was focused as upper lens for that side.

When I got them, did some dry-firing. Wow. I can see everything for the first time in years.

Also learned I have early stages of cataracts. :blackcloud1: So now anytime outside I need to wear a hat, along with sunglasses, and is hopefully that mitigates it.

From a blog: Political Correctness - the belief that one can pick up a turd by the clean end.

Benjamin Franklin: It is the (civic) responsibility of every citizen to question authority.

Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

danoh wrote:
Just recently had an eye exam, along with new prescription. I also asked for "Shooting glasses". They were a bit confused, and asked me to clarify. I explained I wanted a set of glasses with the right eye lens focused as the lower lens. Left side was focused as upper lens for that side.

When I got them, did some dry-firing. Wow. I can see everything for the first time in years.

Also learned I have early stages of cataracts. :blackcloud1: So now anytime outside I need to wear a hat, along with sunglasses, and is hopefully that mitigates it.

Dude, ride the cataract pony. Once they're cloudy enough, you can get new corrective lenses implanted. My blind-as-bat mom barely needs glasses now. And my dad doesn't need them at all anymore. I'm so jealous...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sigman226 wrote:

Wow! I know where you're coming from with one exception, I wear glasses so I have a choice... I see the sights or I see the bull. I line up the sights over the lens and then try to line up the bull but I'm no where near as tight as I was a years ago. Ok at 60 I'm getting old but I know it's because of my eyes because I used to be able to see the sights and target clearly at the same time.
I actually thought about getting a right eye near sighted lens and a left eye long sighted because I know that Dr's do this with contacts.

Keep us Old Farts informed!

Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The rationale to see a "shooting" eye doctor is more in line to finding an eye doctor or really for that matter... someone that carries shooting eye wear.

You can basically go to any eye doctor. Then with the prescription you need to find someone that carries "frames" that are suitable for shooters. Just any frames won't meet eye safety needs.

Something that covers the whole eye (like safety glasses) and can - depending on your prescription needs make them work for safety and function.

If you are shopping around. It's more do you carry frames that are suitable for the shooting sports... not necessary that the eye doctor shoots.

Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

edogg wrote:
danoh wrote:

Dude, ride the cataract pony. Once they're cloudy enough, you can get new corrective lenses implanted. My blind-as-bat mom barely needs glasses now. And my dad doesn't need them at all anymore. I'm so jealous...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But, you would still need glasses with the implants for some things. They can make a correction and give you bifocal vision after cataract surgery. One eye is corrected for near and the other is corrected for distant vision. It takes a day or two to get used to it though. I speak from experience, not my eyes, but my father.

I Believe in the United States of America as a government of the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign Nation of many sovereign States; a perfect union, one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice, and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes. I believe it is my duty to my country to love it, to support its Constitution, to obey its laws, to respect its flag, and to defend it against all enemies."
William Tyler Page 1917

Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next