Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:26 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 New Distracted Driving Law 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

http://www.king5.com/news/what-the-new- ... /458096803

I get the idea behind the law, and I've seen a load of people who do all kinds of things while driving. Too many folks try and text or check social media status, or surf the web while driving. However, this is going to be a tough thing to be proving, and I kinda feel this is going to be a money grab from the state.

Personally I don't text and drive, but I have no problem talking on the phone while driving and equate it to talking to someone in the car. Although when someone is in the car I feel more people turn to look at the person talking. Which takes your eyes off the road more so than talking on a phone. So what's next, no talking while driving too?

Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:11 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Goes on your record as well

Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:13 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This whole thing smells fishy to me. Like a big fishy money-grab.

I'm all for not texting while you're driving, but the idea that I can't even look at my phone while at a red light is odd. When I get a text message while driving, I'll usually glance over at the phone just to see who it's from, then at the next stop I'll read it and reply if needed. I fail to see how this makes me a hazard to myself or others.

Oh, and did you see the list of "Other distracted behaviors" that they can slap an additional $99 fine on you for? Included among the list is "smoking". I'm sorry, unless you're smoking a meth pipe, how the fuck is that distracting? So now I can't smoke in my own car?

The Nanny State grows more Nanny-ish.....

I am free because I say I am. My freedom is not dependent on any government benefit or piece of legislation. My rights are inherent in the fact that I was born a sovereign being. They are non-negotiable. The government can list them and protect them, but my rights are not theirs to give away.

Yolo: Because idiots don't know what "carpe diem" means.

What, do you think I`m an amateur? You think this is Amateur hour? I`m covered in broken glass and hatred. You think someone would want to anger that with a Vz? - Fjordforder

Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:15 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not my permanent record!

Time to update my ride with 20% tint.

Studying for my Liberal Arts degree at Evergreen College.

YouTube taught me, just like everybody else.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:16 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

did they list road head as a distraction? Naw officer, it helps me relax.

Divided we fall.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:18 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just yesterday, I was at the light on hwy 2 at main street, in Monroe.

As I pulled up, a woman in a large SUV pulled up beside me, in the right turn lane. I was going straight.

There was a woman on a bicycle on the other side of the intersection. Obviously partway off the curb there, headed our way.

The woman in the SUV could have turned right at any time, but sat there for the light.

When the light turned, the lady on the bicycle started across the road... The lady in the SUV still sat there, until my truck moved forward enough for her to catch it out of the corner of her eye... Then she took off like a bat after a mosquito, and nearly hit the woman on the bike.

Had she hit her, it would have been hard, and an injury or death would have occurred.

As I said, the woman on the bike was already there when we stopped at the light. She was as obvious as the light itself, to anyone even halfway paying attention.

The woman in the SUV... was on her phone. Texting. Had been doing so, even before she approached the intersection and stopped.

The woman on the bike could have paid with her life, because the woman in the SUV is so self absorbed that she thinks she is entitled to text while driving...

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:26 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The seat belt law started out the same way. They couldn't pull you over for it but could "add it on" to another ticket when pulled over.
Now look how it's evolved.

Same with the cell phone.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Law enforcement is exempt from the law.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:45 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How are going to respond when the LEO asks for your phone password to "gather evidence," such as your activity log?

Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

quantsuff wrote:
How are going to respond when the LEO asks for your phone password to "gather evidence," such as your activity log?

GFY

Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:07 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

quantsuff wrote:

Hand him a copy of the constitution and tell him the answer lies therein.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:07 am

I'm all for this law... but I'm kinda confused as to how you are going to use GMaps to get anywhere... getting a ticket for looking at the gps would suck.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:27 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

quantsuff wrote:

I will respond to that request with "when pigs fly" and then he will just seize the phone and apply for a warrant.

Best bet is to just put the phone in the glove box or center console and enjoy the drive.

Now in my Volt, the phone pairs with the My Link console and tells me when I have a text. I can then just touch the screen and it will read the text to me. If I try to respond while the vehicle is moving it won't let me but when stopped I can touch the reply button and dictate a message. About as distracting as listening to talk radio and talking to your radio (or shouting sometimes).

FWIW, we've pretty much become a "nanny state" because the common sense people used to exercise has become near extinct. A mass epidemic or "Cranial Rectal Inversion has broken out among drivers and a good number of these laws are designed to keep the assholes from killing the innocent. Oh yeah, ever notice how it's always the OTHER driver doing stupid shit, not you (the general "you" not a specific member here).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So Uber drivers will have to develop psychic powers to get riders to their destination

Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:29 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On one hand I am sick of missing lights (I have to use my car horn 3-4 times a day) and getting constant near misses from idiots buried in their phones who swerve, on the other hand I dislike LEO revenue generation schemes.

Quote:
“I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee you this is not the last you’ve seen of him (Beto),” Biden said Monday evening during a campaign rally in Dallas. “You’re (Beto) going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re (Beto) going to be the one who leads this effort.”

https://www.newsweek.com/beto-orourke-g ... ns-1465738
Quote:
[Beto O'Rourke Suggests Police Would 'Visit' Homes To Implement Proposed Assault Weapons Ban] "In that case, I think that there would be a visit by law enforcement to recover that firearm... ..."If someone does not turn in an AR-15 or an AK-47, one of these weapons of war...then that weapon will be taken from them"

Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 168 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next