Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:25 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 2324 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 151, 152, 153, 154, 155
 The WTF Thread? What makes you go: Wait, WHAT?! 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

wtf is this emergency broadcaster BS?? thought they were supposed to do this the first of the month

Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Down to Kansas, they have four people arrested for murder of two women - without having found any bodies - based on "undisclosed evidence".

"Show me the man and I'll show you the crime." ~ A guy said once...

(It's a quote I'm too lazy to cite right now. Just acknowledging my plagiarism since i don't want to be a high profile Harvard administrator or the President of a once proud nation)

That must be some spiffy evidence if they've arrested four people on murder charges without having bodies. Dash cam footage?
Edit: if I knew how to photoshop, I'd do an Andy Warhol-esque series with these guys faces imposed on "An American Gothic" paintings.

https://www.oann.com/newsroom/4-suspect ... sas-women/

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jackass wrote:

Easy way to catch a felony charge.

Car paint ain't cheap these days and most damage is pushed to felony status ~$500-750

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:44 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

jackass wrote:

Damn! A crime was committed, the police investigated, and the police arrested the suspect! What a concept! I don't think we're in Washington state anymore, Toto!

Now I want to know if he was actually charged, tried and convicted . . . .

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:25 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Also, maybe someone can educate me here . . . what is the deal with asking the victim if they "want to press charges"?

It seems to me that if a cop believes that someone committed a crime, they should arrest the person. Why do they need the victim to request that the person be charged?

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:53 am
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

MadPick wrote:
Also, maybe someone can educate me here . . . what is the deal with asking the victim if they "want to press charges"?

It seems to me that if a cop believes that someone committed a crime, they should arrest the person. Why do they need the victim to request that the person be charged?
It's an antiquated way of asking "do you want to report that you were a victim of a crime?".

In Washington state, an officer may need the alleged victim to be apart of identifying the alleged criminal, despite the provided description and any prior knowledge the officer has about the alleged criminal. In other words, with the victim chooses to not participate, the officer may have to let the criminal move on. Mrs. Officer isn't as free to stop and frisk in an attempt to make a case with more substantial probable cause.

BLACK HAMMER ARMS
07/02 NFA Dealer

http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:09 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, I understand that the cops may need the victim to participate, for example if the victim was a witness and testimony is needed.

But in the example in the video above, they had security video of the suspect keying someone else's car. I guess I'm having trouble figuring out why the victim would need to press charges, to cause an arrest. What if the owner of the car was unknown? Would they just have to let the suspect go?

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd think it's an easier step than sending the video to the DA and waiting to see if he wants to press charges. If the victim says yes then it may streamline the process.

"A nation grown free in a single day is a child born with the limbs and the vigour of a man, who would take a drawn sword for his rattle, and set the house in a blaze that he might chuckle over the splendour." Sydney Smith (1771-1845)
Spoiler: show
NOW YOU DID IT...
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:

Back in my home state, it was at the discretion of the victim to 'be' a victim, except in cases of domestic violence, and a couple other things.

For misdemeanors like simple theft, simple assault, trespassing, etc the victim can opt to file charges or not, and it's done so by police (or commissioner) on behalf of the victim. If the victim chooses not to file charges, a report is generated, and it's noted that the involved parties chose a civil resolution instead of criminal.

This usually happened when an allegation of assault came into play and it was a he said/she said.. and it becomes...'If you press charges against him, he's going to press charges against you, and you'll both go to jail'... Basically a 'let the judge sort it out' kind've thing. It also wasn't uncommon for small businesses to work things out with shoplifters, eg 'Pay for what you took, and never come back, and I won't press charges' kinda thing.

You didn't need the police, either. You could make a statement to a commissioner (usually had an office at a local police station and jail, where they needed to be anyway to set bail for recently arrested persons) and they'd write up a warrant if they believed you had sufficient evidence to support your case. So, you could entirely bypass the cops out here that didn't want to do anything... or get an arrest warrant for someone corrupt officers didn't want to be involved in getting a warrant for, like another cop.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jackass wrote:

Wait, scratching car paint us a felony?

That ain't right.

Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SporkBoy wrote:
jackass wrote:

That ain't right.

Go get a car repainted and let me know how much it costs.

I have 37K miles on my car but because it's a 2006 I guarantee they'd total it if someone keyed it.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Want to know when you'll kick the bucket? There's AI 'death calculator' apps that can help with that:

https://nypost.com/2024/04/29/tech/why- ... alculator/

(Watch out. As the article states, to use one of these apps requires submission of sensitive informations and some of the calculator websites are just mining your data.)

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:
SporkBoy wrote:

That ain't right.

Go get a car repainted and let me know how much it costs.

I have 37K miles on my car but because it's a 2006 I guarantee they'd total it if someone keyed it.

Spork makes a good point. The whole car shouldn't need to be repainted. A good paint repair shop can probably touch it up. Depends on how far into the clear coat he went

Not that it makes it ok. Dude should squirm in jail for a bit with a felony hanging over his head. Hopefully the car owner goes and gets estimates to fix the paint and they settle with that plus a little extra for the hassle. Plead it down to a misdemeanor

And yea, my truck is totaled every time it needs new tires. Just turned over 360,000 last week

Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 2324 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 151, 152, 153, 154, 155