Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:38 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Tell me what I can look forward to-------- 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks everyone. Insights and advice is much appreciated.

Some good news has emerged. I have had several Cardiac Surgeons pass through my room that have been kind of "filling in" One this morning told me that they considered me low risk and the reason I hadn't had surgery yet is because others have "bumped" me in the surgical schedule. So far it looks like I'm on the board for Monday AM, maybe even first case.

I don't sit around and wait very well. My butt and hospital beds are incompatible.

I am blessed with a great family, a Son, Daughter, Daughter in Law to be, and a Son in Law who have told me that they'll see to it all my post surgical and recovery needs are met.

I am also double blessed by having my second family here. I think this is one of the few forums that has a "Family Atmosphere" and it's most welcom.

As for the earlier comment "cigarettes and bacon are history", I quit smoking in 1979. As for Bacon, I cure my own so it's just a matter of managing the amount of salt so a couple pieces keep me under 800 mg of Sodium per meal. Who knows, a couple of strips of bacon may well be my entire day's allocation of bacon and I'll be eating Oatmeal for the rest of the day. Bacon is non-negotiable :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2:

Thanks again everyone. Based on what I'm now going through I'd strongly recommend that everyone pester their doctor to keep a close watch on their heart and it's "plumbing". I probably should have had a stress test a half dozen or more years ago but I kept telling the doc I felt fine. I guess you do------- until you don't.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:15 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

deadshot2 wrote:
Thanks everyone. Insights and advice is much appreciated.

Thanks again everyone. Based on what I'm now going through I'd strongly recommend that everyone pester their doctor to keep a close watch on their heart and it's "plumbing". I probably should have had a stress test a half dozen or more years ago but I kept telling the doc I felt fine. I guess you do------- until you don't.

Great news man.... :thumbsup2:

But too bad there's going to be more of the situations like yours...the new health care system has pretty much removed the Preventative Care part of our old polices with the deductibles being so high we cant afford it.....and every day living expenses and "I'm fine" attitude are predominant in most familys.

We don't get really checked till the parts are seizing up. :angryfire: I do a full physical each year but I know its not enough.

Last time I was in the hospital due to my sons surgery the charge nurse was complaining about how her coverage sucked with
hi expense and deductibles....and she works there.

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Under the old system, I self directed to a cardiologist. When I had my physical, my PCP didn't even suggest it even though my Dad had heart problems. They found an enlarged aorta. I could have dropped dead like fast, yet the doctor didn't suggest it even though I was over 50. Long story short it only cost me 4K out the door and I was able to schedule it when I wanted to do it. That was with regular ole Regence at the time. I sure miss the old days. I just had a physical two weeks ago and all he was doing is mostly asking questions it appeared the computer was asking him. His checking of my heart consisted of listening for 30 seconds. My that was thorough. I guess a simple EKG would be a bridge to far.

Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:49 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bacon is non-negotiable ... I like your attitude. :thumbsup2:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:21 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

You got this Mike, sit back, relax. I wonder if the docs will have a problem if you do some reloading in the hospital room while waiting? Maybe just de-prime some brass?

Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:44 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
You got this Mike, sit back, relax. I wonder if the docs will have a problem if you do some reloading in the hospital room while waiting? Maybe just de-prime some brass?

In the current political climate re: guns, I'll bet that my having a press and a bunch of components here would cause a whole bunch of "coronaries" and I'd just get bumped further along the schedule.

Right now I am scheduled for tomorrow, supposedly the first case of the day. Hopefully nobody else has a "blowout" or 'gets plugged up" worse than me so I can get this over with and start rehab.

I'm in the care of the Cardiac team at Providence Hospital in Everett and they have a good reputation. Not a "Teaching Hospital" so I won't be cut on by students. I was told I was getting the "A Team" so I feel good about that.

My family has informed me that I have only one task when I get home and that's to follow instructions and heal. My Daughter is only 5' tall but I won't be arguing with her. She packs a mean punch.

Words of advice. If anyone has any chest pain that comes and goes, but isn't clearly related to that giant pepperoni pizza you just ate, TELL YOUR DR! Push for an EKG. It will show whether or not you should have a stress test. In my case I started having some heartburn like pains that went away after a few minutes. The EKG showed some minor abnormalities but my Dr said "just to be safe we're going to get you a Stress Test". I was scheduled for next Wednesday but it looks like I performed my own. :bigsmile:

I'm pretty lucky as I have a good insurance plan along with Medicare. There will still be out of pocket cost but considering the alternative?

Anyway, here I am, still waiting and I thought I'd kill some time visiting with my "second family". Thanks to all for the words of encouragement and advice.

Mike

Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Mike glad to hear you're in the low risk group and doing well. Best wishes on the surgery tomorrow sounds like you're in good hands.
Something to be really grateful for when you have family nearby that can help out and provide support in a difficult time.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the reloading advice. Have learned a lot from you about reloading and also BBQ/smoking.
I have a new Remington XP-100 stock on order with McMillan. Will post up some pics once it arrives and the XP is all bedded into it's new home.

Hope you're doing OK passing time in the hospital. Tough not to get bored there.

Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:38 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Best wishes on a successful procedure and a quick recovery, we'll be praying for you.

Providence Everett has good food, have an actual chef.
You call X8888 and go over the menu with a nutritionist (if on a restricted diet which you will be).
Salmon and mac-n-cheese were the best. Had that breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Didn't try the burger or the pizza, nutritionist would only let me have half of one.
Doubt you get bacon, but they will wheel and deal over what you can have, Hahaha

Can't speak for the doctors there as GHC had their own doctors that attended to me.
Facility charges alone were $15,000 for 3 days.
I paid zero as I already paid a $25 co-pay at urgent care who referred me.
My new policy I have to pay $10%.
Also praying your insurance covers almost all of this.

Take care and keep us informed.

P.S. They will take good care of you.
One of the leads fell off my battery powered wifi EKG harness, an alarm went off and a crew came running in telling me my heart stopped.
I told them I was on my laptop and would have noticed.
They still insisted on having me go down and do a full set of tests.

Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:49 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mike, if hey won't give you bacon, let us know and we'll get you a "catch-up size" portion at the next WaGuns breakfast. thumbsup

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:09 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Ask Dr. Bacon

Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:15 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Good luck on your surgery and for a speedy recovery.

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:11 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mike. Everything go okay??

Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:27 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PT said most of what could be said. Prayers and thoughts are with you, Mike. You so got this.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."
~Tenzin Gyatso, aka His Holiness the Dalai Lama

"We who are strong have an obligation to bear with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves."
~ Romans 15:1

"Ils Ont Les Armes, On Les Emmerde, On A Le Champagne!"~Charlie Hebdo, November 2015

Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:14 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

UPDATE

Made it through the surgery with flying colors. I am not the proud owner of a 'Quad", bypass that is. Am now a "Cabbage" (CABG -Coronary Artery Bypass Graft.) :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Up and around but have to take it very careful. No reaching, pushing, pulling, etc. Every days is better.

See surgeon next week and he'll tell me when I can start doing more, even driving. About 12 weeks before I can even think of shooting and it may only be .22 or pistol at first.

When I get back at it my new Benchmark .308 barre is ready. Looking forward to getting that rife back in business. Converted my Remington to Remage so I can swap barrels easily and the new barrel is only a 2-groove. The 2-Groove Benchmarks are a doing very well among the LR shooters so I want to see what I can get out of this one.

Still plan on heading down to Raton for some LR shooting but it won't be until next spring.

BTW, I know while they refer to the scar as "tracks". Some nights it feels like TANK TRACKS. icon_eek

Things are looking good but still have more to do.

Thanks all for your support.

Mike

Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:07 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thank you for the update, Mike! :thumbsup2:

Yeah, it sounds like hell. But it sure beats the alternative.

Keep us posted, man. Let us know when you're ready for a group .22 shoot. :bigsmile:

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next