Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 7:19 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Truck bed tonneau covers -- Hard vs. Soft 
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

I'm in the market for a tonneau cover for my Titan. Honestly I'd much rather buy a canopy but don't want to spent $3k to keep the bed dry, so tonneau cover it is. That leaves soft cover vs. hard cover. The soft tri-fold covers run from $200-$400 and the hard abs plastic or aluminum covers run $500-$1200. I just need a relatively economical way to keep the bed dry for traveling to eastern WA for the holidays.

What say you guys?

-Hard or soft?
-Brands you like?
-Pros/cons of each?
-Where to buy?

Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:10 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

I have one of the tri-folds from Amazon 'cause I'm cheap when I buy anything other than guns. It's been on my F150 pretty much year-round for about 3 years and works great except some of the foam rubber seals along the edges are getting worn out.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:42 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I had a one piece soft tonneau cover on my 1995 F-150.
Loved that thing.
Had 5 aluminum bows going across and snaps, probably better systems out nowadays.
Could unsnap it and roll some back if you had something taller, or roll it all the way back.

Took a few minutes to take it off or put it back on, but did keep the bed bone dry.

I had a bed liner and put in 4 eye hooks in the back by the tailgate (older trucks didn't come with those for some odd reason) with a couple pieces of 3/8" line and an expandible load binder to keep the plastic milk crates of parts, computers, and such from moving around.

Forgot the brand, bought it from an outdoor supply catalog like Gander Mountain or similar.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hard
Lockable
Plastic wouldn't be my first choice
I got a used one for a hundred bucks on Craigslist.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:57 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rix86 wrote:
Hard
Lockable
Plastic wouldn't be my first choice
I got a used one for a hundred bucks on Craigslist.

Yeah but they're hard to find for a titan crew cab. The used market is non existent

Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:00 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

DGM33 wrote:
I have one of the tri-folds from Amazon 'cause I'm cheap when I buy anything other than guns. It's been on my F150 pretty much year-round for about 3 years and works great except some of the foam rubber seals along the edges are getting worn out.

Does it flap and make noise at freeway speeds? What brand is yours?

Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:01 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Boss has a Truxedo on his pickup. It does a good job. Im contemplating getting one for our Ram to keep the kids stroller and purchases dry when travelling to Leavenworth, idaho or Montana during the winter. The soft appeals most to me as have to hook up to a gooseneck or 5th wheel.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For me I'd do with a retractable one. Mostly because I like having the option of it folding up neat and out of the way if I don't need it. Plus I don't want to be restricted by a hard cover that only lifts so far up creating a triangle, which doesn't maximize space if needed. Or one that you have to detach to take it off. Again I wouldn't want to mess with having to take it apart and store that if I needed more vertical space.

https://www.pickupspecialties.com/Tonne ... overs.html

Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:59 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Thanks Dan I'll check out truxedo. And I'm definitely getting a tri-fold cover, just trying to decide between a soft or rigid cover

Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have an undercover hard tonneau on the bed, because certain jagoffs will take a knife to a soft top.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+1 for the TruXedo soft cover.

It's not lockable of course, but out of sight, out of mind. Never had a problem. I like the fact you can roll it up and stack stuff high like firewood or the dump run.

If you want a pretty street truck, hard is good but if you do any sort of "chores" you'll want soft.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

os2firefox wrote:
I have an undercover hard tonneau on the bed, because certain jagoffs will take a knife to a soft top.

This.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had an early version of a roll top bed cover some years ago. I really liked that it was easy to open and close and provided some security. I also liked that I could open the bed all the way up to carry tall loads like my dirt bike. My truck’s tailgate didn’t lock so they installed a little barrel lock on the inside so that you had to use the key to open the lid then unlock the tailgate.

It wasn’t completely waterproof though. In hard rains, it would let some water in but not a lot. Just enough to get the edges damp.

The other downside is that it takes up some bed space because the top rolls into a box in the front of the bed. And the box that the top rolls into is just thin plastic. My riding buddy had a welder and fabbed up a rack that went under and in front of the box to keep the front tire of my bike from pressing into it. It also meant that my bike wouldn’t fit all the way in which was a little annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a Leer hard Tonneau cover that I bought in 2011 when I got my truck. Paint match was/is perfect.
Think I paid $1100 for it.
Pros - Hard, Looks good, doesn't leak & Locks.
Cons - PITA to remove if you want to haul a larger object...

Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:05 am

I think it sound like you really want a canopy. Just do it. Places like Canopy World will finance on no interest for one year, pretty easy to pay it off.

I recently bought a used Frontier CC and picked the one I did almost entirely because it already had a matching insulated Leer 100R with tinted sliders, interior LED and Thule bars... Like a $2k canopy and they didn't even include it in the price.

If you sell later on it will increase the private sale value in this state substantially.

My dad had a Truxedo on his Silverado a few years back. He had it on for a couple of months before he got tired of the relative uselessness of the bed, and replaced it with a canopy.

Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next