Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:38 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Hexmag magazines 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I ordered a few of these to try out and see if they were any good.
The order showed up today and I decided to do a little testing.
So.....
I grabbed two of my Pmags and two of the Hexmags to see whats what...
After all, when you compare something to nothing... you have nothing.

The Pmags have a habit of over loading by one. So, a total of 31 rounds in the magazine.
Is it really a problem? No.
Is it that big of a deal? No.
Is it annoying to my OCD? Fuck yes.
The Hexmags only allow 30 rounds in their 30 round magazines. So, no over loading.
My OCD is pleased.
Loading of the Hexmag was smooth.
The follower is no-tilt and seems a little more robust than the Pmag, but that is just in my eyes.
Both Hexmags fed smoothly and reliably in my AR and also dropped free when the magazine release was pushed.
I did not go full retard and run the magazines over with a truck.
If you ask me, that test is fucking pointless and only Jerry, the inbred, retarded hillbilly gives a shit about that.
I did, however drop both the Pmag and Hexmag, loaded, feed lips down, from a height of 8 feet onto granite paving stones.
Neither magazine ejected any rounds on impact. Which surprised me, somewhat.
Both became slightly scuffed. Who the fuck cares?
The feed lips remained within serviceable specs on both, with the Pmag bending in slightly more than the Hexmag.
The feed lips on the Hexmag are slightly thicker and more robust.
Whether that is really something special or a non factor, I cannot say at this point.

All in all I think these will be fine magazines.
I ordered an additional 20 magazines before writing this from Wise Tactical. http://www.wisetactical.com/ar-15/magaz ... -magazine/
At $11.99 per, and only $3.95 flat rate shipping I think it's a pretty fair deal.
Slightly cheaper than Pmags and the different color offerings from each company seem close to the same hue.
Something I kind of like about them is the HexID system with the colored dot in the base plate and the ability to disassemble the magazine without the need of tools.
They are minor things, but handy nonetheless.

"For I have always lived violently, drunk hugely, eaten too much or not at all, slept around the clock or missed two nights of sleeping, worked too hard and too long in glory, or slobbed for a time in utter laziness. I’ve lifted, pulled, chopped, climbed, made love with joy and taken my hangovers as a consequence, not as a punishment."
-- John Steinbeck
"Experience is one thing you can't get for nothing."
-- Oscar Wilde
"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one."
-- Marcus Aurelius
"Now I'm off to check out Drew's dick."
-- MadPick

Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First off, great review, thanks! Been wondering about these for a while meow.
Second, how did you get the mags to 8ft? Do you have a ladder?
Third, when you say no tools for the Hexmag takedown, are you implying the Pmag needs tools? I am not aware of that need, so was just wanting to make sure.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Meh. Good review, very informative, but not enough fuck.

And, no food.

Bring back the gun, food, drink, and cigar thread, willya ?

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:27 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

For anyone who has issues overloading mags. The last loaded round will always be on the right when the ammo is pointed away from you.

Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:34 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

It appears that the Hexmag does not have a groove to accept a stripper clip spoon or StripLula.

Therefore, fail. All else is irrelevant.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
It appears that the Hexmag does not have a groove to accept a stripper clip spoon or StripLula.

Maybe because hardly anyone uses those anymore. It is the 21st century after all. Get out of the 60's. You dirty fucking hippie.

"For I have always lived violently, drunk hugely, eaten too much or not at all, slept around the clock or missed two nights of sleeping, worked too hard and too long in glory, or slobbed for a time in utter laziness. I’ve lifted, pulled, chopped, climbed, made love with joy and taken my hangovers as a consequence, not as a punishment."
-- John Steinbeck
-- Oscar Wilde
-- Marcus Aurelius
-- MadPick

Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:53 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

bhpdrew wrote:
MadPick wrote:

Maybe because hardly anyone uses those anymore. It is the 21st century after all. Get out of the 60's. You dirty fucking hippie.

I have a rekindled love affair with my StripLula, and I've loaded all of my .223 and 300BLK reloads onto stripper clips. :inlove:

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:01 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks Drew. I, like others, have been on the fence about picking a few of these up. I'll have to grab some now.

Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:46 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do you feel you'll have more hexmags than pmags for your collection, or just get whatever you can find on sale. Sounds like you prefer hex slightly, but not by much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:49 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Jagerbomber35 wrote:
Second, how did you get the mags to 8ft? Do you have a ladder?

Dude, if you want to make a short joke you have to say something like "how many phone books does the bartender have to put on your stool?"

Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

joao01 wrote:
Do you feel you'll have more hexmags than pmags for your collection, or just get whatever you can find on sale. Sounds like you prefer hex slightly, but not by much

I have personally had a few issues with MagPul from a year or so back when I had to deal with their customer service department.
So, I do not really want to patronize their products, but in some cases they are the best out there.
So, I hold my nose and buy something from them.
In a few ways MagPul has been resting on their Pmag design with only slight changes from one generation to the next.
None of which are really anything more than cosmetic.
Competition is a good thing.
Companies like Lancer and others have stepped up their game to compete with MagPul and I like that.
If MagPul doesn't respond to those companies who put pressure on them to remain competitive then they loose ground.
Hexmag, for me, is a slightly superior product. At least at this point in time.
For me, there are a few little things Hexmag does which is an improvement over the Pmag.
But, in all honesty, the difference between the two is minimal as both magazines function reliably.
However, that said; I have 36 Lancer magazines, soon to be 22 Hexmags, and only a handful of Pmags.
Not to mention, saving a buck a mag (or more in some cases) when ordering 20 or 40, as I sometimes do, adds up.
So, take it for what it's worth.

ETA:
Basically, what I am saying is that if you have a lot of Pmags already, it isn't worth it to ditch them for the Hexmag.
Though, I know a few people who have done just that.
However, as I said, both are reliable and do the job.

-- John Steinbeck
-- Oscar Wilde
-- Marcus Aurelius
-- MadPick

Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
bhpdrew wrote:
MadPick wrote:

I have a rekindled love affair with my StripLula, and I've loaded all of my .223 and 300BLK reloads onto stripper clips. :inlove:

I am not saying you enjoy receiving anal sex from strange men. But, this is a strong indicator that you do, in fact, enjoy such activities.

-- John Steinbeck
-- Oscar Wilde
-- Marcus Aurelius
-- MadPick

Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:31 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I gotta be me, man. I'm tired of trying to suppress my feelings.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Will you try hera mags next?

http://lanworldinc.com/index.php/compon ... ine-in-tan

10.99 for windowless, 12.99 for windowed. German made.

I love me my lancers.

Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

UpDog wrote:

Yeah, I was thinking about giving then a go. Ordered two windowed ones. I'll let you know how they are.

-- John Steinbeck
-- Oscar Wilde
-- Marcus Aurelius
-- MadPick

Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next