Switch to full style
Shops, Gear, Ranges.. Let others know how your experience was.
Post a reply

Hexmag magazines

Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:19 pm

I ordered a few of these to try out and see if they were any good.
The order showed up today and I decided to do a little testing.
So.....
I grabbed two of my Pmags and two of the Hexmags to see whats what...
After all, when you compare something to nothing... you have nothing.

The Pmags have a habit of over loading by one. So, a total of 31 rounds in the magazine.
Is it really a problem? No.
Is it that big of a deal? No.
Is it annoying to my OCD? Fuck yes.
The Hexmags only allow 30 rounds in their 30 round magazines. So, no over loading.
My OCD is pleased.
Loading of the Hexmag was smooth.
The follower is no-tilt and seems a little more robust than the Pmag, but that is just in my eyes.
Both Hexmags fed smoothly and reliably in my AR and also dropped free when the magazine release was pushed.
I did not go full retard and run the magazines over with a truck.
If you ask me, that test is fucking pointless and only Jerry, the inbred, retarded hillbilly gives a shit about that.
I did, however drop both the Pmag and Hexmag, loaded, feed lips down, from a height of 8 feet onto granite paving stones.
Neither magazine ejected any rounds on impact. Which surprised me, somewhat.
Both became slightly scuffed. Who the fuck cares?
The feed lips remained within serviceable specs on both, with the Pmag bending in slightly more than the Hexmag.
The feed lips on the Hexmag are slightly thicker and more robust.
Whether that is really something special or a non factor, I cannot say at this point.

All in all I think these will be fine magazines.
I ordered an additional 20 magazines before writing this from Wise Tactical. http://www.wisetactical.com/ar-15/magaz ... -magazine/
At $11.99 per, and only $3.95 flat rate shipping I think it's a pretty fair deal.
Slightly cheaper than Pmags and the different color offerings from each company seem close to the same hue.
Something I kind of like about them is the HexID system with the colored dot in the base plate and the ability to disassemble the magazine without the need of tools.
They are minor things, but handy nonetheless.

Re: Hexmag magazines

Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:26 pm

First off, great review, thanks! Been wondering about these for a while meow.
Second, how did you get the mags to 8ft? Do you have a ladder?
Third, when you say no tools for the Hexmag takedown, are you implying the Pmag needs tools? I am not aware of that need, so was just wanting to make sure.

Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:27 pm

Meh. Good review, very informative, but not enough fuck.

And, no food.

Bring back the gun, food, drink, and cigar thread, willya ?

Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:34 pm

For anyone who has issues overloading mags. The last loaded round will always be on the right when the ammo is pointed away from you.

Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:22 pm

It appears that the Hexmag does not have a groove to accept a stripper clip spoon or StripLula.

Therefore, fail. All else is irrelevant.

Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:53 pm

MadPick wrote:It appears that the Hexmag does not have a groove to accept a stripper clip spoon or StripLula.

Maybe because hardly anyone uses those anymore. It is the 21st century after all. Get out of the 60's. You dirty fucking hippie.

Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:01 pm

bhpdrew wrote:
MadPick wrote:It appears that the Hexmag does not have a groove to accept a stripper clip spoon or StripLula.

Maybe because hardly anyone uses those anymore. It is the 21st century after all. Get out of the 60's. You dirty fucking hippie.

I have a rekindled love affair with my StripLula, and I've loaded all of my .223 and 300BLK reloads onto stripper clips. :inlove:

Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:46 pm

Thanks Drew. I, like others, have been on the fence about picking a few of these up. I'll have to grab some now.

Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:49 pm

Do you feel you'll have more hexmags than pmags for your collection, or just get whatever you can find on sale. Sounds like you prefer hex slightly, but not by much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:53 pm

Jagerbomber35 wrote:Second, how did you get the mags to 8ft? Do you have a ladder?

Dude, if you want to make a short joke you have to say something like "how many phone books does the bartender have to put on your stool?"

Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:18 pm

joao01 wrote:Do you feel you'll have more hexmags than pmags for your collection, or just get whatever you can find on sale. Sounds like you prefer hex slightly, but not by much

I have personally had a few issues with MagPul from a year or so back when I had to deal with their customer service department.
So, I do not really want to patronize their products, but in some cases they are the best out there.
So, I hold my nose and buy something from them.
In a few ways MagPul has been resting on their Pmag design with only slight changes from one generation to the next.
None of which are really anything more than cosmetic.
Competition is a good thing.
Companies like Lancer and others have stepped up their game to compete with MagPul and I like that.
If MagPul doesn't respond to those companies who put pressure on them to remain competitive then they loose ground.
Hexmag, for me, is a slightly superior product. At least at this point in time.
For me, there are a few little things Hexmag does which is an improvement over the Pmag.
But, in all honesty, the difference between the two is minimal as both magazines function reliably.
However, that said; I have 36 Lancer magazines, soon to be 22 Hexmags, and only a handful of Pmags.
Not to mention, saving a buck a mag (or more in some cases) when ordering 20 or 40, as I sometimes do, adds up.
So, take it for what it's worth.

ETA:
Basically, what I am saying is that if you have a lot of Pmags already, it isn't worth it to ditch them for the Hexmag.
Though, I know a few people who have done just that.
However, as I said, both are reliable and do the job.

Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:31 pm

MadPick wrote:
bhpdrew wrote:

I have a rekindled love affair with my StripLula, and I've loaded all of my .223 and 300BLK reloads onto stripper clips. :inlove:

I am not saying you enjoy receiving anal sex from strange men. But, this is a strong indicator that you do, in fact, enjoy such activities.

Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:40 pm

I gotta be me, man. I'm tired of trying to suppress my feelings.

Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:48 pm

Will you try hera mags next?

http://lanworldinc.com/index.php/compon ... ine-in-tan

10.99 for windowless, 12.99 for windowed. German made.

I love me my lancers.

Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:55 pm

UpDog wrote:Will you try hera mags next?

http://lanworldinc.com/index.php/compon ... ine-in-tan

Yeah, I was thinking about giving then a go. Ordered two windowed ones. I'll let you know how they are.
Post a reply