Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:15 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 The Glock Gen 5 Flop 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So I love my Glocks, go to many to count. Now with new release of the Gen 5 I was so excited until I got to hold one and use it.

Glock says "the bar has been raised" http://gen5.glock.us/

Not sure what bar that is but it must not have been far from the ground.

I guess i'll start with what I like. The trigger - It is smoother and feels like it flows with the pull. Its not as Spongy as a previous gens. Not sure about the barrel it shoots like any other glock but they say its a marksman barrel. I guess calling it a marksman is going to make you shoot better. and that's about where it stops.

The bad , pretty much everything else.

The new finish is slicker than snot when you start sweating. Its like trying to grab melted butter. You would think front serrations would be the new norm but nope. The beveled front so it looks like a G26 yet did nothing to the receiver frame to blend in with those curves. Now lefties might like the ambi slide release, but it makes the top of the frame bulge out and really shouldn't have been added. There was a reason the 3rd pin was designed to hold the locking block in but I guess plastic is more stronger now. watch out if you break it down there is a spring in there that if you lose it you now have a brick.

Now on to the finger grooves. With the 19 gen 4 my hand would ride up and I would get the glock knuckle. So they decided to remove them. That was awesome yet now the decided to remove a chunk of plastic in front of the grip that after a few mags you want to stop shooting and throw the gun in the garbage due to your finger getting chewed up. There is no need for it you don't grip your mag from the front you pull from the sides. and that's the next thing. the integrated magwell, that was a stupid feature as now you cant grip the sides of the mag to pull a stuck mag out. the bevels just make your fingers slide over the sides which is why you need the huge opening in the front grip.

Now these are my observations and I'm sure I am missing a couple things but I will stick with the gen3/4's myself as I don't see any improvements that make it better only worse. I wonder if Sig Sauer's QC guy got a job at Glock the last 6 months.

Yaki's - last journey

Promote a Growth Mindset. Don't let a fixed mindset not allow change for the better.

pow·er trip - noun - a self-aggrandizing quest for ever-increasing control over others.

Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:34 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Interesting observations, thanks for sharing. I haven't had a chance to fondle one yet, but the list of "improvements" was not inspiring.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:46 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Damn, and I wanted one so bad. Not.

Divided we fall.

Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:06 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is the most words I have seen from the OP..................Ever!!!!!!!!!!

Did someone hack Ops? :bigsmile:

Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:30 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I tried 10 shots with the G19 gen5. I got the same impression about the trigger. It is the best trigger I ever fired. Now, the other changes didn't impress me. Yes, easier to insert the mag, and those who holster a lot they did those cuts that are supposed to help and removed the figer groups that I actually like.

Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:06 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

zombie66 wrote:
This is the most words I have seen from the OP..................Ever!!!!!!!!!!

Did someone hack Ops? :bigsmile:

Hahahahaa

Plus I knew ops wasn't a sweaty guy. This new ops, the palms of his hands sweat! :bigsmile: :rofl9: :ROFLMAO:

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Damn. Was kind of thinking of getting a G40 Gen5 when they finally get released. Guess I'll save my pennies for an STI.

Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:07 pm

Ops wrote:
So I love my Glocks, go to many to count. Now with new release of the Gen 5 I was so excited until I got to hold one and use it.

Glock says "the bar has been raised" http://gen5.glock.us/

Not sure what bar that is but it must not have been far from the ground.

I guess i'll start with what I like. The trigger - It is smoother and feels like it flows with the pull. Its not as Spongy as a previous gens. Not sure about the barrel it shoots like any other glock but they say its a marksman barrel. I guess calling it a marksman is going to make you shoot better. and that's about where it stops.

The bad , pretty much everything else.

The new finish is slicker than snot when you start sweating. Its like trying to grab melted butter. You would think front serrations would be the new norm but nope. The beveled front so it looks like a G26 yet did nothing to the receiver frame to blend in with those curves. Now lefties might like the ambi slide release, but it makes the top of the frame bulge out and really shouldn't have been added. There was a reason the 3rd pin was designed to hold the locking block in but I guess plastic is more stronger now. watch out if you break it down there is a spring in there that if you lose it you now have a brick.

Now on to the finger grooves. With the 19 gen 4 my hand would ride up and I would get the glock knuckle. So they decided to remove them. That was awesome yet now the decided to remove a chunk of plastic in front of the grip that after a few mags you want to stop shooting and throw the gun in the garbage due to your finger getting chewed up. There is no need for it you don't grip your mag from the front you pull from the sides. and that's the next thing. the integrated magwell, that was a stupid feature as now you cant grip the sides of the mag to pull a stuck mag out. the bevels just make your fingers slide over the sides which is why you need the huge opening in the front grip.

Now these are my observations and I'm sure I am missing a couple things but I will stick with the gen3/4's myself as I don't see any improvements that make it better only worse. I wonder if Sig Sauer's QC guy got a job at Glock the last 6 months.

The black top coat was changed to address the complaints of the post Tennifer finish causing the black top coating to wear off faster.

Finger grooves don't work for a lot of people. It's easier to get used to not having them, then being able to use them if they get in the way of your fingers.

Aren't front serrations something made for the competition market? To show the range officer that it was clear, especially when there is an optic mounted.

The cutout on the 19 is pretty damn bad. I can see it drawing blood after a few hundred rounds as sharp as some have been. The 17 it not nearly so bad though. They went back to their European roots with that cutout. Based on older guns with things like heel clip releases and gripping the mag from the front, on mags that don't drop free. Seems like a step backwards.

The 3rd pin was never needed on the 9mm. It was only added for the 10mm, then .45, then the .40.

The spring is an improvement. You no longer can put the slide stop lever in with the spring on top of the pin, and if you do lose the spring it's the same one used in two other places.

Rounding the frame would have been nice, but would it really have made much difference? You have a gen 3 or 4 right? Take a close look at that area. Everyone else too. Notice that the corners of the slide sticks past the frame. So it's the exact opposite of the gen 5.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]