Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:10 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Pin and weld Titanium break 

I have a TI break I need pined. Or I’ll have to fine a new one if I can’t get this one pinned
I am in north snohomish county.

Thanks Jake

Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:29 pm

Good luck. No gunsmith or shop is going to be set up for it as it's a somewhat complicated process. It's a LOT more difficult than a simple weld on steel with a steel pin.
Maybe a small welding shop since it's not gunsmithing in the legal definition unless it's one of the guns that has the upper as the serialized "firearm."

A couple articles on welding titanium show just how much is involved,

https://www.millerwelds.com/resources/a ... -tube-pipe

https://weldguru.com/titanium-welding/# ... 20Titanium?

Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:40 pm
FFL / Dealer

Unicorn wrote:
Good luck. No gunsmith or shop is going to be set up for it as it's a somewhat complicated process. It's a LOT more difficult than a simple weld on steel with a steel pin.
Maybe a small welding shop since it's not gunsmithing in the legal definition unless it's one of the guns that has the upper as the serialized "firearm."

A couple articles on welding titanium show just how much is involved,

https://www.millerwelds.com/resources/a ... -tube-pipe

https://weldguru.com/titanium-welding/# ... 20Titanium?

I'm confused that tig process is damn near the same as for tig anything else other than argon which most welders are gonna have anyways for stainless. Finding a suitable pin would the the hardest part.

Or are there people out there doing a pin and weld with mig or smaw?

Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:30 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can tig titanium outside an argon chamber, and even without back purging. You will definitely get some oxygen uptake, but this isn’t a fatigue critical application where embrittlement is a prime concern. Not sure what pin diameter is needed, but the first place to look for pin material is the titanium filler rod itself.

Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:28 am
FFL / Dealer

Arisaka wrote:
You can tig titanium outside an argon chamber, and even without back purging. You will definitely get some oxygen uptake, but this isn’t a fatigue critical application where embrittlement is a prime concern. Not sure what pin diameter is needed, but the first place to look for pin material is the titanium filler rod itself.

No filler rod on a pin and weld how I do them, I use a 3/32 drill bit and cut the back side of the bit off, grind it to be about 1/32 high in the hole and then when I make a puddle it flattens out and into the muzzle device.

Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:36 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PM aent

Well, when I looked around all I saw was a pimp with a shiny pair of shoes and a '49 Mercury!

Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:43 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kolat wrote:
Arisaka wrote:

No filler rod on a pin and weld how I do them, I use a 3/32 drill bit and cut the back side of the bit off, grind it to be about 1/32 high in the hole and then when I make a puddle it flattens out and into the muzzle device.

I can see how that would work with this geometry and application. But I would add that steel cannot be welded to titanium for any structural application. The fusion zone would be full of very brittle Ti-Fe intermetallics.

Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JB weld the pin in

Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:07 pm
FFL / Dealer

Arisaka wrote:
Kolat wrote:
Arisaka wrote:

I can see how that would work with this geometry and application. But I would add that steel cannot be welded to titanium for any structural application. The fusion zone would be full of very brittle Ti-Fe intermetallics.

Yep that's why I said finding a suitable pin would be the hardest part, I wasn't advocating doing it with a steel bit as a pin.

Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kolat wrote:
Arisaka wrote:
Kolat wrote:
Arisaka wrote:

Yep that's why I said finding a suitable pin would be the hardest part, I wasn't advocating doing it with a steel bit as a pin.

I think Ray was eluding to using the tit filler ROD for pin material.

Dont exclude silver soldering it as an option. Might be something to talk to a custom jewler about if your not up to the task yourself.

Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:05 pm

Kolat wrote:
Arisaka wrote:
Kolat wrote:
Arisaka wrote:

Could one use a steel pin and weld over it with titanium filler? Not welding the pin to the muzzle device, just have it completely covered over in ti?

Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don’t see how. Titanium melts at over 3000 F. Steel at 2750F. Getting things hot enough to melt titanium would also melt the steel pin.

Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:23 am

we can do it here. we are a full service gunsmith and fab shop. I've pined and welded titanium suppressors to guns.. I use a titanium pin and tig weld with titanium rod over the pinned aria

Full Send Precision Rifles
contact Liam at 2067696376 for an appointment. we are a by appointment only shop close to 72nd and canyon in puyallup.
we are a 07 ffl manufacturer and sot also a full service gunsmith shop.

fullsendprecisionrifles@gmail.com
07ffl sot and gunsmith shop

Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:43 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]