Switch to full style
Post here if you are in need of a specific service, or have a job opening to advertise.
Post a reply

Pin and weld Titanium break

Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:29 pm

I have a TI break I need pined. Or I’ll have to fine a new one if I can’t get this one pinned
I am in north snohomish county.

Thanks Jake

Re: Pin and weld Titanium break

Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:40 pm

Good luck. No gunsmith or shop is going to be set up for it as it's a somewhat complicated process. It's a LOT more difficult than a simple weld on steel with a steel pin.
Maybe a small welding shop since it's not gunsmithing in the legal definition unless it's one of the guns that has the upper as the serialized "firearm."

A couple articles on welding titanium show just how much is involved,

https://www.millerwelds.com/resources/a ... -tube-pipe

https://weldguru.com/titanium-welding/# ... 20Titanium?

Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:30 am

Unicorn wrote:Good luck. No gunsmith or shop is going to be set up for it as it's a somewhat complicated process. It's a LOT more difficult than a simple weld on steel with a steel pin.
Maybe a small welding shop since it's not gunsmithing in the legal definition unless it's one of the guns that has the upper as the serialized "firearm."

A couple articles on welding titanium show just how much is involved,

https://www.millerwelds.com/resources/a ... -tube-pipe

https://weldguru.com/titanium-welding/# ... 20Titanium?

I'm confused that tig process is damn near the same as for tig anything else other than argon which most welders are gonna have anyways for stainless. Finding a suitable pin would the the hardest part.

Or are there people out there doing a pin and weld with mig or smaw?

Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:28 am

You can tig titanium outside an argon chamber, and even without back purging. You will definitely get some oxygen uptake, but this isn’t a fatigue critical application where embrittlement is a prime concern. Not sure what pin diameter is needed, but the first place to look for pin material is the titanium filler rod itself.

Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:36 am

Arisaka wrote:You can tig titanium outside an argon chamber, and even without back purging. You will definitely get some oxygen uptake, but this isn’t a fatigue critical application where embrittlement is a prime concern. Not sure what pin diameter is needed, but the first place to look for pin material is the titanium filler rod itself.

No filler rod on a pin and weld how I do them, I use a 3/32 drill bit and cut the back side of the bit off, grind it to be about 1/32 high in the hole and then when I make a puddle it flattens out and into the muzzle device.

Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:43 am

PM aent

Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:25 pm

Kolat wrote:
Arisaka wrote:You can tig titanium outside an argon chamber, and even without back purging. You will definitely get some oxygen uptake, but this isn’t a fatigue critical application where embrittlement is a prime concern. Not sure what pin diameter is needed, but the first place to look for pin material is the titanium filler rod itself.

No filler rod on a pin and weld how I do them, I use a 3/32 drill bit and cut the back side of the bit off, grind it to be about 1/32 high in the hole and then when I make a puddle it flattens out and into the muzzle device.

I can see how that would work with this geometry and application. But I would add that steel cannot be welded to titanium for any structural application. The fusion zone would be full of very brittle Ti-Fe intermetallics.

Mon Jan 01, 2024 7:07 pm

JB weld the pin in

Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:41 pm

Arisaka wrote:
Kolat wrote:

I can see how that would work with this geometry and application. But I would add that steel cannot be welded to titanium for any structural application. The fusion zone would be full of very brittle Ti-Fe intermetallics.

Yep that's why I said finding a suitable pin would be the hardest part, I wasn't advocating doing it with a steel bit as a pin.

Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:05 pm

Kolat wrote:
Arisaka wrote:
Kolat wrote:

Yep that's why I said finding a suitable pin would be the hardest part, I wasn't advocating doing it with a steel bit as a pin.

I think Ray was eluding to using the tit filler ROD for pin material.

Dont exclude silver soldering it as an option. Might be something to talk to a custom jewler about if your not up to the task yourself.

Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:39 pm

Kolat wrote:
Arisaka wrote:
Kolat wrote:

Could one use a steel pin and weld over it with titanium filler? Not welding the pin to the muzzle device, just have it completely covered over in ti?

Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:23 am

Don’t see how. Titanium melts at over 3000 F. Steel at 2750F. Getting things hot enough to melt titanium would also melt the steel pin.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:43 am

we can do it here. we are a full service gunsmith and fab shop. I've pined and welded titanium suppressors to guns.. I use a titanium pin and tig weld with titanium rod over the pinned aria

Full Send Precision Rifles
contact Liam at 2067696376 for an appointment. we are a by appointment only shop close to 72nd and canyon in puyallup.
we are a 07 ffl manufacturer and sot also a full service gunsmith shop.
Post a reply