Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Headlight recommendations for Jetta TDI 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the sylvania silver star bulbs.

I like those ^^^ too.

I also have changed the bulbs in my mother-in-law's tiburón about five or six times in maybe 4 years. I think the h7 bulb sucks. I've never had problems with the 9005s in my Chevys.

Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:40 pm

ddmtuning! 70 bucks and you can get 55W HIDs and a lifetime warranty.... The bulbs only cost $20 bucks when you need to replace them. I'm on month 4 on these and have no issues at all. Also for the people who say, oh if you put HIDs in a non HID housing you will blind everybody and everything, not true. Once you put them in go find a flat surface, go stand in front of them. If they are aimed too high, just adjust them down to the point where they aren't in people's face. One of the best $70 I have spent on my truck thus far.

Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FWIW, I got the Osram Night Breakers. So far I like them.

Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:32 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tofan wrote:
ddmtuning! 70 bucks and you can get 55W HIDs and a lifetime warranty.... The bulbs only cost $20 bucks when you need to replace them. I'm on month 4 on these and have no issues at all. Also for the people who say, oh if you put HIDs in a non HID housing you will blind everybody and everything, not true. Once you put them in go find a flat surface, go stand in front of them. If they are aimed too high, just adjust them down to the point where they aren't in people's face. One of the best $70 I have spent on my truck thus far.

The problem is not with standard headlight housings. It's with projection housings. Most cars with projection headlights are halogen not HID. The lens distance is not correct and when HID bulbs are put in a halogen projection housing you get light scatter. Think of burning ants with a magnify glass. It gives you less light and blinds oncoming traffic.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

only a couple things kill halogen bulbs...

1.Vibration
2.Heat
3.Voltage (see #2)

So... make sure your housings and mounts are secure. If your bulb appears to flicker or jostle when driving or you hit a bump...they're not secure..

Make sure that the bulbs are getting the correct voltage....too low voltage can do just as much damage as too high voltage. measure voltage under no load and more importantly under load as well. run a relay kit.

Oily fingers can cause hot spots on the bulb if you use your fingers on the bulb....usually during installation..don't.

HID and LED kits are generally a nono.... most housinga aren't designed for it and you'll get tons of glare....

if you do go HID...for gods sake...get 4300K....all that crystal white 6k purple 10k bs is exactly that..bs....

4300k to 5k is where you wanna be... being that most companies....including DDM.... give you a RANGE of temperatures...ie your 5k set could be 6500k..... best to order a 4300k....so if it's a bit off...you still have a ton of useable light.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2