Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:39 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Be forewarned,there is a new sheriff in town 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also, if she learns to shoot lefty, and you shoot righty, you will be super effective in covering both sides of a barrier! She takes the left side, and you take the right! :AR15firing: :thumbsup2:

Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LOL! I hadn't thought about that! Twice as many zombies!

Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree she should shoot rifle with the dominant eye (I'm cross eye dominant too). Iron sight shooting will not be great with the non-dominant eye. I don't know about single plane optics like red dots or reflex sights.

The advantage is teaching trigger control to two different index fingers. I naturally shoot pistols right handed, but my accuracy is about the same with either hand. Maybe in some post apocalyptic universe I can dual wield...

Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have been shooting lefty for more than 50 years. There are some issues. Bolt action rifles require learning how you can best work the action, or a left hand rifle. I cant the rifle 45 degrees to the left. Have had to learn how to load the Garand left handed, not easy, although with practice I now find it almost as easy as loading right handed. This is mandated by personal persistence in using the hasty sling. Recently was given use of a M1D and have found that the left side offset of the scope
allows right hand shooting using the left eye. Have discovered that this allows non-dominate eye (right eye) usage of the irons to quickly locate the target, instead of having to use the narrower field of view of the scope to search.

"I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." - Robert Heinlein

Resistance to tyranny is always justified.

Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

10/22 works great for learning, soft recoil, cheap ammo, and work the bolt right handed.

Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:47 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

why is everyone suggesting left hand shooting for left eye dominant? I'm left eye dominant but always learned to shoot the M4 right handed.

Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

joao01 wrote:
why is everyone suggesting left hand shooting for left eye dominant? I'm left eye dominant but always learned to shoot the M4 right handed.

Had to ponder this a bit. Am guessing, there is minimal difference in acuity between your eyes? My right eye is near worthless in terms of capacity to make out a target beyond a blurred mass. OK for finding a target, lousy for accuracy.

"I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." - Robert Heinlein

Resistance to tyranny is always justified.

Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:34 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

joao01 wrote:

Please share a pic showing your cheek weld...i'm interested to learn what we're all doing wrong?

Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:13 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

joao01 wrote:

Is mebbe' because........................... shooting an M 4 sucks left handed.

Try an older M16 version with out a brass deflector.

Hot Brass in yo' face.

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Assuming 2 healthy eyes and time to deliberate, either eye should work with either iron or glass sights.
If you use both eyes, cross-dominance creates problems.

The problem really gets sticky when you don't have time to deliberate...such as combat competition
or shooting moving targets. (trap, skeet, etc.) In that case, retraining your body is probably easier.
I heard an Air Force pilot say he'd been part of an experiment wherein he wore glasses which caused him
to see things upside-down. After 6 months his brain reversed the switch. When he removed the glasses his EYES saw
things upside-down and it took about 6 months to reverse. (headaches?)
Your eyes are like a camera lens and light travels in straight lines. So light from the bottom of an object passes
through the iris and strikes the top of your retina. Your brain turns it upside-down so you see it as it is.
Anything is possible, even retraining eye dominance. Close the dominant eye, USE the weaker eye until it IS dominant,
then reopen the (formerly) dominant eye so gradually it doesn't regain dominance.

If you choose this route, please PM me and I'll send you our business card: we at Sage's Reloading Supply.com
would LOVE to be your primary reloading component provider!!

Back in the 50s, when the striking surface was on the front of paper matchbooks, I saw a guy on live TV open a
matchbook, bend out a match, close the cover and strike it without tearing it from the book. Simultaneously with both hands.
I was about 11 and it took me less than a half hour to learn the trick. You can teach yourself to be ambidextrous, even digitally adept.

I have nothing but sympathy for all with cross-dominant eyes.

Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sportsdad60 wrote:
cdoniguian wrote:
I see this all the time as an RSO. The women frequently outshoot the men. Particularly first time shooters. This is because the ladies follow directions, and listen carefully during instruction. It's like the old story of how men will never stop to get directions when lost. Women will get directions and listen carefully when they do. It in their nature.

Wow, good analysis! I believe you too!

Now would be a good time to reiterate the lessons on properly identifying your target.....

................you know, in case you come home late one night...... :AR15firing:

Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2