Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Dirty bolt on new savage gun expected? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Picked up a Savage 16fcss from a local gun store and just had the time to sit down and clean it.

I noticed that there were some rust spots on the trigger housing, the magazine had deposits on wedges and some rust, and the bolt was dirty. The gun was sold to me as new, but I was wondering if it was normal for savage rifles to come like this?

Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Powder residue, yes... rust... well, is it real light? Or heavy? If the rifle is old new stock it is possible. Theytest fire firearms before leaving the factory. It's possible to get light rust on a gun that has been sitting in a display rack or storage. Especially here in the PNW. If it's just light rust I'd just clean it off and call it good. Anything more than that and I'd be complaining.

"For I have always lived violently, drunk hugely, eaten too much or not at all, slept around the clock or missed two nights of sleeping, worked too hard and too long in glory, or slobbed for a time in utter laziness. I’ve lifted, pulled, chopped, climbed, made love with joy and taken my hangovers as a consequence, not as a punishment."
-- John Steinbeck
"Experience is one thing you can't get for nothing."
-- Oscar Wilde
"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one."
-- Marcus Aurelius
"Now I'm off to check out Drew's dick."
-- MadPick

Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, everything came in packaging, manual was sealed, and stickers/tags were there. The rust on the trigger guard was very light. The deposits on the magazine and bolt were a lot more than I have seen on my other new guns, so I was just wondering...

Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would have some words with the place You bought it from. They only test fire them once. That looks like an old rifle they have passed off as new. Used to sell Savage Rifles in My shop, and I have never seen nor heard of one in that condition"New"...

A bit of clean grease is expected, but I am also seeing some primer residue, and a whole lot of use on that bolt face. How Much did You Pay? Also, their metal has preservative on it, should not be any rust on a new rifle....Who did You Buy It from???

The wear Mark on the extractor usually shows up after 100 or so rounds....

I am calling BS on this being new!!!

NRA Life Member-Since 1983
Life Member-North American Hunting Club
Life Member-National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association
Founder-Crusaders Motorcycle Ministries

Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mohawk13 wrote:
I would have some words with the place You bought it from. They only test fire them once. That looks like an old rifle they have passed off as new. Used to sell Savage Rifles in My shop, and I have never seen nor heard of one in that condition"New"...

A bit of clean grease is expected, but I am also seeing some primer residue, and a whole lot of use on that bolt face. How Much did You Pay? Also, their metal has preservative on it, should not be any rust on a new rifle....Who did You Buy It from???

The wear Mark on the extractor usually shows up after 100 or so rounds....

I am calling BS on this being new!!!

Maybe someone from the shop took it out for some plinking fun ?

(And they still claim it is new, because it was never sold yet.)

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am smelling a real Rat with this one. One should expect New if You Paid for New...And This isn't a new rifle. My Refurb Mosin Bolt is cleaner than that, And I have not even degreased it Yet!!!

Was Discussing this with a friend of Mine, and we both agree that this bolt and the junk in the mag well points to the fact that someone fired a hot round through this rifle, and blew a primer. The Burn Marks on the bolt face and primer residue are good indicators of this. The Junk in the mag well is from blow back from a burst primer.They vent burst rounds into the mag well to keep hot gases away from Your face.

Best advice would be to take it back and exchange it for another rifle and have the shop send this one back to be checked out. Stand Your ground, as You have been cheated By a dis reputable dealer. I say this with 30 years in dealing with firearms. My friend has been a weapons guy and gunsmith for almost 40 years...

If The dealer says he didn't know, he should have checked the firearm out. I bet they took it back from the first owner with a song and dance story....Get on their ass and make them make it right!!!

Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bump So OP can read this!!!

Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought this from West Coast Armory in Bellevue. They had to order it via their distributor. It was also late by two weeks and they didn't even feel the need to call me.

I called them this morning and they told me I can come and have them inspect the rifle with a manager. Then the manager says the gun cannot be used, because it's illegal to sell used guns. They told me I should call Savage or come on Monday to speak with another manager... disappointing.

What can I do about this?

Last edited by os2firefox on Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, contact them both Monday.

"For I have always lived violently, drunk hugely, eaten too much or not at all, slept around the clock or missed two nights of sleeping, worked too hard and too long in glory, or slobbed for a time in utter laziness. I’ve lifted, pulled, chopped, climbed, made love with joy and taken my hangovers as a consequence, not as a punishment."
-- John Steinbeck
-- Oscar Wilde
-- Marcus Aurelius
-- MadPick

Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Right, I meant what can I do if the dealer still refuses to do anything about it?

Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:27 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Call the mfg.

Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:29 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Technically nothing. Once you sign that's sort of all there is. Unless you can prove real intent to bend you over. Odds are if the dealer won't make things right, Savage will.

-- John Steinbeck
-- Oscar Wilde
-- Marcus Aurelius
-- MadPick

Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Call The ATF and explain the situation. A dealer selling bad goods is THEIR Problem, not Yours!!! Savage has no part in this. They accepted delivery, so they need to make it right. They should then send the piece back to Savage on THEIR dime. You are the one who is getting hosed, not them, as You are thee Person who Put the Money up for a new rifle......If They Don't make it right, let Me know....

Also What Caliber??

Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's a Savage 16 FCSS in .308. I'll give an update on what West Coast and Savage say on Monday...

Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:44 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Can you post the pics of the rust? Are you sure it is not preservative?

Also, what are the "deposits" on the magazine?

Your bolt is fine, BTW. Tons of Savage rifles go through me, I am a Savage master dealer. This is just normal factory testing. They all look like that. Including new, special-ordered $1700 Palma rifles.

Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:48 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next