Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:58 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 A Real Neat Target analysis program 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

By accident I stumbled on a really neat program for evaluating targets after shooting development loads. In the past I'd used the "Point Blank" free software but in order to store targets you have to make a bunch of manual measurements, each from the "offset" from point of aim.

This program is available here. [url]http://www.ontargetshooting.com
[/url]

Three levels. The original version is a free download. The second release has a 15 day free trial and can be purchased for a reasonable fee. For the really anal, they also have a "Full Meal Deal" that allows one use info gathered from the OCW load development method.

Here is a target I ran through the "free trial" program and I have to say it's as easy as it gets. Scan the target into an image file, open the image in "On Target", and using the cursor place the bullet hole circles around each bullet hole in the target. The program does all the rest. Max Height, Max width, converts from inches to MOA, shows offset from aim point (great for easy scope adjustment). Shoot your last target group, go home and scan. Run the program then go make the adjustments on the turret as you wish. Just make sure that you shoot the group at the range you want the zero to be.

(10 rounds at 300 yards. Grid is 1/2" Wide X 1" High)

When I excluded the first shot, after which I made an elevation change on the scope, the group measures up pretty well. Very little vertical spread.

What I found interesting was the ability of the program to quickly calculate an Average to Center (ATC) of the group. Even though a group is a little large, by how much would you really be missing the target with multiple shots?

What I found impressive is that the learning curve was less than 15 minutes and all the calculations are updated as you mark the bullet holes.

Just thought I'd share with all the other "info junkies" out there.

FWIW, I also did a quick analysis of the same target without the low, first shot. All in all, it looks like I just might keep this load in my "recipe book".

Here's another "project view" tossing out the one "flier :bigsmile: "

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:43 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't need the program to show me that there is some fine hole punching going on there..................

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:48 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RENCORP wrote:
I don't need the program to show me that there is some fine hole punching going on there..................

Hey, I've got the "trigger time" and ammo. Might as well put it to good use. :bigsmile:

Beats sitting at home watching dirty movies and eating cheeto's :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

deadshot2 wrote:
RENCORP wrote:

Hey, I've got the "trigger time" and ammo. Might as well put it to good use. :bigsmile:

Beats sitting at home watching dirty movies and eating cheeto's :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Hey, I actually like the R + D stuff - but the shooting is just plain impressive on it's own.

Cheeto's give you an orange target ring around your rear moa.

Could be downright dangerous, y'know. Just sayin'

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:27 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RENCORP wrote:
Cheeto's give you an orange target ring around your rear moa.

Could be downright dangerous, y'know. Just sayin'

Thanks for the complement. I'm trying to get the group size a little smaller yet. Good excuse to reload more and go to the range.

As for the "Orange", I always thought it turned the hair that grows in the palm of your hand that color :bonghit: :bigsmile:

Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]