Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 2:14 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Dagger 

I don't think anyone here has written about PSA's dagger on this board yet or have gotten into shooting one. With all the recent political BS in Washington state I figured most of you were either scrambling to shore up your magazine gathering and obtaining the few things you really want in order to stave you off until the supreme court delivers you from purgatory or a complete regime change sweeps over the west coast. Either of which I await with bated breath as my Scottish ancestors used to say. In either case now that I have been living in the KC area for about a year and most of my moving costs have been paid off, plus my new job was very generous in compensation I wanted to do a truck gun that I could put together and not worry about it being banged up.

Enter PSA's dagger (Please note that this is not a review, merely an observation since this is a sample of one and I have note been compensated by PSA at all except for a minor warranty issue which I'll disclose a little further down the road here.)

The dagger is a complete middle finger to Glock's stubborn dogged resistance to innovate anything about their models at all save make a few cosmetic changes here and there. It is a straight gen 3 clone of Gaston Glock's brilliant pre-80's design which made it the most prolific service pistol to date. I won't rehash words dealt with in other articles but to suffice it to say if you are law enforcement agency anywhere on this planet and your officers don't have glocks in their holsters, either their is something wrong with you or your government hates you so much they don't fund you properly.

Tour through PSa's website and there a a lot of Options you can do here. Different frames and Slide configurations, you can literally buy one piece at a time and put it together if you really have nothing to do. I picked out a slide and frame variation that was a flat dark earth or "Peanut Butter Glock" as the local gang bangers refer to it here according to one of my new buddies who works at a mom and pop gun store in the area.

Complete frame with internals was 59.99 plus ten bucks shipping and 25 dollars at a the FFL which I have to admit stung a little but I get it, they need to keep the lights on. Complete slide with barrel and internals was 219 plus shipping to my door. I opted for non threaded barrel and optic cut because I wanted to play with a red dot on this one.. A threaded barrel option would only cost a little more but I don't want to dip into supressors at this time.

Assembly went together like how you expect. I was not impressed with the plastic hinged trigger. I have two M&P's and they work and the hinged triggers are OK but I still find it difficult to trust. Palmetto was my rescue again with a timney 3lb trigger for 99 bucks. All told as of now I got close to 400 for a gen 3 glock with a custom trigger and optic cut and I forgot to mention they sights are steel and supressor height. All that was left was the optic so I went with a Vortex venom.

This is where the fun began.
So the pistol had the doctor cut in the slide no problem. Holes were drill and tapped for 6-32 threads, you can get over the counter screws, unlike some other makers out there. Problem was they gave me all long screws with the slide when I was supposed to have 2 short and 2 long. No big deal an email to customer service and they sent an apology and got extra screws to me with a please forgive us free sticker and I was back in business. I put the optic on and loctited the screw in and grabbed a couple of boxes of hardball and a mag and went down to the local range to finally put some round through it to see if this thing was worth the fun.

I dumped two boxes through it and accuracy at 20 yards was more than acceptable for me. Fed and cycled fine. Had issues with the timney trigger. For some reason it would not reset at random times. Would be completely dead until I flicked the middle dingus forward. I had one non intentional double fire too which surprised me and the few others sharing the pistol range. Can't really fault the gun at this point since I don't know how it would have performed with the stock trigger but I guess it's either the custom trigger or the operator who installed it, either way I have to dig into it further to find out why. I will keep you all posted.

While I figure this out I cannot really recommend this as anything other than a range toy, but I have no doubt if I hadn't gone the custom trigger route I would not be seeing this problem. Other than the optic screws messing from the top side I don't know what else could be going on.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Ace on Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:43 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

What's "pre-mod" mean? Did you make changes to it?

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

He's transitioning; don't judge.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like a trigger job & sites…

Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:46 pm

Yeah I dropped a new trigger into it. It took a little finagling to get it in there. Plus you should also note that while this is a glock clone, not all the parts interchange the trigger setup is slightly different so that is why I think there might be something going on with the Timney. I might have to throw the old trigger back in if I don't figure it out. Honestly when the trigger worked shooting it was way more comfortable than your average glock. The trigger is almost single action.

Sun Jan 28, 2024 6:27 pm

Drop the shitty Timney trigger and it'll run like a sewing machine.

LOTS of discussion on these in various places, Pistol-Forum, ARF, even the cesspool of Reddit. Consensus is they're solid guns.

Lot of folks carrying 'em, even.

We have one Dagger slide w/ optic that gets used between 2 different G19s, gen 3 and gen 4. I'd have to look when I get home, but I think it's got around 400 rounds through, being run with Glock and AIM barrels.

It's been 100% reliable with every gun we've run it on. Despite the annoyingly shallow optic cut, they're a good bang for the buck to get an optic onto a G19.

I'd have no problem owning a Dagger or 3, they're good guns, just never had the need.

Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ViniVidivici wrote:

….even the cesspool of Reddit.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:11 pm

I think I narrowed it down to the optic screws being a tad bit too long and interfering. I will find out this weekend when I got time for the range.

Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another Glock killer that’s made with wood sticks and dog poop?
Yawn…

Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:13 pm

Ace wrote:
I think I narrowed it down to the optic screws being a tad bit too long and interfering. I will find out this weekend when I got time for the range.

Well you definitely want to make sure the Starboard side screw isn't interfering with the extractor depressor plunger, which should be easy to check, and easy to remedy.

Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:28 pm

Took it back to the range again and put another 100 rounds through it. The screws on the optic were not the issue. Trigger would not reset after firing. Upon further examination it appears the Timney trigger bar is rubbing up against the frame interfering with the reset. Not Ideal, but since Timney made the trigger for a gen 3 glock and not the dagger I can understand if it doesn't fit one to one. I'm going to get a factory glock trigger and bar and see if it improves. It sucks because I am out 99 bucks for a trigger that was fantastic to shoot with when it worked, but it was good to learn this lesson at a gun range and not at 3 a.m. when someone smashes my window in. Bright side is a facory glock trigger is about 13 bucks at Brownells.

Sat Feb 03, 2024 6:49 pm

Yep, we told ya!

My pistol work this weekend was done with a G19 with a Dagger slide w/ optic. Ran like a sewing machine. Really starting to like this slide.

Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well now you're going to have to buy another gun to go with that trigger

Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:26 am

Doubt I will buy a gen 3 glock frame just for the trigger. The ordeal soured me on the Timney brand to be honest. I will keep it in my parts tacklebox to remind me not to buy their stuff again. It's part of the risks you take trying a new gadget. I'll keep you posted when the stock glock trigger comes in and see if that fares better.

Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is one of the reasons I haven't bought an aftermarket Glock trigger. Too many mixed reviews and things going wrong. They sucks

You don't have any other Glock? So many Gen 3 Glocks out in the wild.

Studying for my Liberal Arts degree at Evergreen College.

YouTube taught me, just like everybody else.

Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next