Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 11:23 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 RW Lathrup 308 Barrel on Ariasaka Type 99 Sporterized help 

Hi, first time user here. I was able to acquire an Arisaka Type 99 that was sporterized. The barrel is stamped R.W. Lathrup 308WIN., the barrel measures 24". I know a lot about the evil black rifles, Glocks and 1911's as far as fit function and maintaining. This is my first bolt action and still learning. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about R.W. Lathrup barrel stamp, and re-barreling the type 99's. I have been digging into the history on these rifles and will be getting the other one where I got this one. It is all original and I will be looking to see if it worth picking up for the $150 asking price.lol ALL MY FRIENDS KNOW HOW THAT'S GOING TO GO ALREADY. Thank you to all and this board. looking forward to learning new things.

Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:37 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome to WaGuns, Blake.

I can’t help you with the .308 conversion, but if you’re able to get an original Arisaka for $150 that’s in semi-decent shape, then that’s a great deal.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:06 pm

It's already been re-barreled with an RW Lathrup barrel chambered in 308. I was trying to get some information on the barrel, more over , about the stamp, RW Lathrup on the barrel. I'm new to bolt-action and was wondering about the cartridge chamber when re-barreling. I saw where if you shoot 308 win. out of the 7.7x58 barrel type 99, it works but less accuracy and the brass will expand mostly on the neck. My question, for my clarification, Is the chamber part of the barrel like on an AR, or does the chamber stay the same and the barrel is all that changes Thank you for your response and look forward to more.

Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Could it actually be R.W. Lathrop? Try doing a search for that.
This is a screen shot I got off the web. Not My Gun

. Image

Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:34 am

Thank you for the information. I did do a search for RW Lathrup and got nothing as far as information on what they or he did as far as gunsmithing. I know this stamp is on barrels from the 50's and 60's but that's all I could figure out. Thank you

Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The chamber is part of the barrel, receiver holds the bolt - the rifle was built by a competent gunsmith, so head space would have been checked and dialed in when the rifle was built. What you have now, is a rifle that will run with easy to find relatively inexpensive modern ammo. Finding 6.5, or 7.7 Japanese ammo is tough, and expensive. It is not a collectable military gun now, just a good shooter with a cool factor based on it's historic background, and a well done conversion.

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Blake D Marsch wrote:
Thank you for the information. I did do a search for RW Lathrup and got nothing as far as information on what they or he did as far as gunsmithing. I know this stamp is on barrels from the 50's and 60's but that's all I could figure out. Thank you

Can you post a pic of the markings?

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:09 pm

Hope this helps. Thank you

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]