Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:16 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 best way to get a ar15 build or buy whole? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was thinking of getting a ar15 but needed advise on the best way to go about it. I thinking building one would be fun for me and my son. as apposed to buying a whole set up. even still I will add stuff on.

but if I was to build one sugestions on parts and brands I know this questions is like pepsi and coke but atleast I have a starting point to do some research.

and if I was to buy a complete set up as in Just the rifle by it's self whats brands?

cost well I am not trying to break the bank but I do not want junk either. mid range with good quality.

rule 2 just pisses them off wife blah blah blah husband yes dear what ever you say dear!

Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:53 pm
Profile YIM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last year I had the same question as I was wanting my first AR. I took someones recommendation and bought the complete lower at Surplus Ammo in Lakewoood for something like $190 plus tax. I then bought a Stag Arms flat top uppper online. My total cost was about $700. I would really like to build my next one part by part but everytime I add up the prices per part it looks like I am going to be over my budget.

I look forward to some other responses,

Happy shooting!

Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:10 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Building your own will save you 1-200 depending on what you do. It can also be fun!

What is your current experience with the AR platform? I would suggest becoming very familiar with how they work before just going out and building one.

Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:40 am
Profile WWW

Read, read, read.........and watch how to vids.............and read reviews. Reviews are (I think) important to read about any part your thinking of installing on your weapon.
So much information out there about how to build an AR. It is a lot of fun plus you learn a lot more from building one from parts than you would just buying one, and you get to put on it what you want instead of replacing parts.
Be very careful though that you don't catch the bug associated with building your own.
I did........
Stay away from cheap ingredients, and build them as though your life will depend on them. Buying top $ top of the line isn't necessary for a quality rifle or pistol, but going cheap I don't think is a good idea.
U-tube is another good place to go and watch tutorials on building one, but don't watch just one, because opinions vary greatly on how to do certain tasks.
Please take note, these are only my opinions, and opinions are like a--holes, everybody has one.
Below is only a couple of bookmarks I had that I thought worth mentioning.
Good luck and have fun.........

http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/AR15_part1.asp
http://forums.officer.com/showthread.ph ... -AR-15-huh
http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=33774.0
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=1100 ... R-15_Video

Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:39 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks as for the AR platform I am familiar with from the military background I am handy and know how to build things in most cases with out directions lol typical male. But thanks for the links at first I was looking at the .308 but decided on the 223 instead the more I read the better off I think building a set it would be more for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rule 2 just pisses them off wife blah blah blah husband yes dear what ever you say dear!

Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:12 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]