Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:12 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 13194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 466, 467, 468, 469, 470, 471, 472 ... 880  Next
 What did you do today in the world of firearms? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

those chubby cake hands needed that bite. I have a 21 you can shoot that will take more chub off if you grip it high.

found a few guns laying around

Yaki's - last journey

Promote a Growth Mindset. Don't let a fixed mindset not allow change for the better.

pow·er trip - noun - a self-aggrandizing quest for ever-increasing control over others.

Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did a full coat job on the new Ruger .450. Pics to follow...

Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What type of coating? You lost man card points because you didn't include pictures in your post the first time. :)

Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:21 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sportsdad60 wrote:
What type of coating? You lost man card points because you didn't include pictures in your post the first time. :)

I could take some crappy cellphone pics, but waiting to take good ones. No suspense...

Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Light was good today.

The green is CADPAT Light Green Duracoat from the all-in-one aerosol can. It was surprisingly like the Noveske Bazooka Green Cerakote in color, I thought it would be less olive and more of a lighter, "sage" green. But it looks good and is easy to apply.

Stock + bolt handle was sprayed with tan bedliner and black marbelizing spray. Not real happy with the American Ranch stock. While the action and barrel are solid, the stock is too light and flimsy for a hard recoiling rifle like this.

Brake is a Wilson Combat and the scope is the Primary Arms 1-4x illuminated. It is very big and heavy for a 1-4x, but a) adding a little weight to this thumper is OK and b) it's $120. Maybe someday I'll get a Trijicon 1-4x or a nice 1-6x but PA will do for now. I actually think their spring loaded covers are better than the plastic Butler Creek ones (which is not saying much).

With a stock sprayed with bedliner, you're pretty much stuck using a cheek pad which I prefer anyway. It holds a spare mag and coin batteries for the scope.

You do need a couple of tools to take it all the way down. Torx, good Allen wrenches, and a 9/16 roll pin punch for the trigger group.

Since I had some green left over, and it's a use-it-or-lose-it deal, I decided to coat my Mossberg that's gained some scratches and rust freckles over the years. In retrospect, I should have coated my AR10 but did the Mossy since, well, it's a lot easier to take all the way down. No roll pins or easy to lose detents and springs. It was starting to run out after 3-4 coats of the shotgun parts. I did not coat the internal parts except for inside the receiver, which IMO is totally unnecessary since it's anodized aluminum and not going to rust anyway.

I've had a problem with that Elzetta flashlight mount walking back under recoil so I stuck rubber grip tape on the inside. Hopefully that cures the issue.

Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:16 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

hkcavalier wrote:
Light was good today.

The green is CADPAT Light Green Duracoat from the all-in-one aerosol can. It was surprisingly like the Noveske Bazooka Green Cerakote in color, I thought it would be less olive and more of a lighter, "sage" green. But it looks good and is easy to apply.

Stock + bolt handle was sprayed with tan bedliner and black marbelizing spray. Not real happy with the American Ranch stock. While the action and barrel are solid, the stock is too light and flimsy for a hard recoiling rifle like this.

Brake is a Wilson Combat and the scope is the Primary Arms 1-4x illuminated. It is very big and heavy for a 1-4x, but a) adding a little weight to this thumper is OK and b) it's $120. Maybe someday I'll get a Trijicon 1-4x or a nice 1-6x but PA will do for now. I actually think their spring loaded covers are better than the plastic Butler Creek ones (which is not saying much).

With a stock sprayed with bedliner, you're pretty much stuck using a cheek pad which I prefer anyway. It holds a spare mag and coin batteries for the scope.

You do need a couple of tools to take it all the way down. Torx, good Allen wrenches, and a 9/16 roll pin punch for the trigger group.

Since I had some green left over, and it's a use-it-or-lose-it deal, I decided to coat my Mossberg that's gained some scratches and rust freckles over the years. In retrospect, I should have coated my AR10 but did the Mossy since, well, it's a lot easier to take all the way down. No roll pins or easy to lose detents and springs. It was starting to run out after 3-4 coats of the shotgun parts. I did not coat the internal parts except for inside the receiver, which IMO is totally unnecessary since it's anodized aluminum and not going to rust anyway.

I've had a problem with that Elzetta flashlight mount walking back under recoil so I stuck rubber grip tape on the inside. Hopefully that cures the issue.

Looks legit.

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:52 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dreadi wrote:
Looks legit.

I'm glad you like 'em...some Fudds on a different forum didn't care for the Ruger much. Oh well...

Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Man card points re-instated! Beautiful! Not colors I would have chosen but color is like opinions.

Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmm...

Admired the trench art on my M70 handguards:

Took some gear pics that actually almost meet my personal standards:

Busted out the paint pen. Hit the front sights, where they currently sit:

Spoiler: show
Oh yeah, and when it came to light the freezer was defrosting the past 3 days I busted ice off a ham with an AK butt.

I have never been, am not, and will NEVER be an NRA member. They sold me out a dozen times, just like they have you!

"while CZ, SIG, FN, and Izhmash (hum...) are playing Hardball, American manufacturers are too busy playing Lawyerball."

Want High end Russian military gear? PM me!

Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hkcavalier wrote:
Light was good today.

I like the green color. Where did you get that stock for the mossy?

Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This was technically yesterday but I was to tired after the drive home and never ended up posting on here. Went to the mountains over by Quilcene with the family and finally got to shoot my HK Mk23. It's pretty big in my hands but I'm in love. First shot at about 15 yards was right in the middle of a 1" dot I drew on a paper plate. My wife who never really shoots kept all 12 on a cardboard box about torso sized from the same distance. I'm very happy with this pistol, now I want to work to be as accurate as it is. Just need more trigger time and I'll master the beast.

Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:27 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
I like the green color. Where did you get that stock for the mossy?

It's not as "Kermit the Frog" green as it appears in the pics. That's just the camera making things a little more vibrant.

It's a Choate Mark 6 stock. No idea re: the vendor since I've probably had it for 10 years.

Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Range day. The Ruger is an absolute laser --- had three touching inside the bull at 100m before I'd gone through 10 rounds. Kicks pretty hard though.

Shotgun was interesting...the flashlight mount was too tight and bound up the tube. Never thought it could bend it like that, but it did. Pays to test! That's my bump in the night gun.

Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:24 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

found a lot of guns in my trunk

Yaki's - last journey

Promote a Growth Mindset. Don't let a fixed mindset not allow change for the better.

pow·er trip - noun - a self-aggrandizing quest for ever-increasing control over others.

Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Renewed my Oregon CHL. Good for another 4 years! Long damn day though.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 466, 467, 468, 469, 470, 471, 472 ... 880  Next