Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:36 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Absurd long-distance shooting 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Meh, what's that guy ^ know about long-distance shooting . . . .

:peep:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:15 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

MadPick wrote:
Meh, what's that guy ^ know about long-distance shooting . . . .

:peep:

He must be a troll... :bigsmile:

About, facebook, twitter, wiki

Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kellybachand wrote:
I know of some folks that shoot their Palma rifles (.308 target rifle, prone with a sling, iron aperture sights) out to 2000+ yards. It's a silly sport and they acknowledge that. The targets they shoot are 25' x 25' or greater in size and usually metallic with a fresh coat of white paint. They shoot at them for a while, while a guy hiding behind a berm uses a stick to point at their hits for them. After a bit of shooting he scoots out and paints over the hits and they begin again.

That same group of folks once told me that of all the .308 projectiles in existence, the SMK 175 grain had the most interesting ability to re-stabilize after passing through destabilization (happens when moving from super to sub-sonic). I don't know of this phenomena being documented anywhere, it was given to me by word of mouth, but it came from reputable sources.

The obvious bummer is that while the bullet has destabilized, it can make some pretty egregious course changes. That being said, they all swore by the SMK 175 grain when shooting a .308 Win at silly-stupid-no-reason-but-for-fun-distances.
Best,

I hope they buy that poor guy some dinner. Hanging out downrange to watch bullets smack steel...not terribly exciting :bigsmile:

Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's a new bullet which will help get you to 1-mile, Waner Flatline 180gr FTR with a BC of 0.695.

This bullet beats the 338LM 250gr Berger OTM Hybrid (BC 0.682) and easily beats the 175gr Sierra TMK (BC 0.545) and Berger 180gr Juggernaut (BC 0.552). At $70 for a box of 50 bullets its a little spendy. You will need at least a 10-Twist barrel and the preferred powder is IMR 2000MR. I'll need to try these bullets out as I have 8lbs of 2000MR

Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:56 am

Hornady just released their ELD = Extreme Low Drag Match bullets. With a .789 BC 285gr compared to .575 of the Nosler Accubond 250gr, I can't wait to try them out in my .338 WinMag.

http://m.hornady.com/store/ELD-Match

One thing Hornady discovered was that the polymer tip was melting which resulted in a reformulation of the polymer used for this line of bullets.

Practice does NOT make perfect. Perfection is an Ideal and thus cannot exist in the real world. To seek perfection is to set yourself up for failure. Instead, strive for Excellence. Excellence is an attainable goal - Coach George Yamamoto, Mililani High School, RIP

Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:14 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Okay I finally had a chance to do some long-range shooting. Previously my longest was 200 yards. I went to Eastern Washington, and shot at 380 yards, 700 yards, and 800 yards.

I could only put a target at 380 yards, 8" gong. Hit it 100% of the time.

At 700 yards and 800 yards I was just shooting at the ground, rocks, bushes, spots between rocks etc. My ballistics calculator was spot on, and my shots dropped right where I expected them to go. Without a target, and just looking at puffs of dirt, it's hard to tell whether I was Minute-of-Angle, Minute-of-Deer, Minute-of-Elk, or Minute-of-Elephant.

Next up, I need to go back with real targets so I can actually see my results. I also need a range finder that works beyond 860 yards.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:54 am

snozzberries wrote:
Okay I finally had a chance to do some long-range shooting. Previously my longest was 200 yards. I went to Eastern Washington, and shot at 380 yards, 700 yards, and 800 yards.

I could only put a target at 380 yards, 8" gong. Hit it 100% of the time.

At 700 yards and 800 yards I was just shooting at the ground, rocks, bushes, spots between rocks etc. My ballistics calculator was spot on, and my shots dropped right where I expected them to go. Without a target, and just looking at puffs of dirt, it's hard to tell whether I was Minute-of-Angle, Minute-of-Deer, Minute-of-Elk, or Minute-of-Elephant.

Next up, I need to go back with real targets so I can actually see my results. I also need a range finder that works beyond 860 yards.
Good work. My best was an iron sight shot in Panama on a M21 1020 yard in my youth (about 28 years ago). And my best since then was a Remington PSS DM. I had a 4 1/2" group at 750 yards.

Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:39 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

just shoot from a steeple

Yaki's - last journey

Promote a Growth Mindset. Don't let a fixed mindset not allow change for the better.

pow·er trip - noun - a self-aggrandizing quest for ever-increasing control over others.

Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4