Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:15 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Hot Shot 5.56x45 The good the bad the ugly? 
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Is it me or is this ammo shitty? Buddy of mine brought over 3 boxes, fired the first box of 20 flawlessly with decent accuracy and the casings weren't bent or anything.

Second box, failure to feed, every single round.
I found several rounds with the bullet itself missing from the casing without the primer being hit inside the box, every time I tried feeding a round, the round wouldn't seat into the chamber and it would actually push the round into the casing! I thought it was my bolt not pushing the round into the chamber correctly or a magazine issue but I tried several magazines and had some green tip and tracer 5.56 and those worked fine.

I Was afraid to test the other box or ammo.. Help?

I feel bad for my buddy cause he bought 3 boxes cause he wanted to shoot my AR during his bachelors party (today is his wedding.. Military wedding all the way!) and he ended up wasting money. I acquired several boxes of some green tip/tracers from my old civilian employer though so we burned through those. Which fired flawlessly and no failure to feed or extract.

Anyone got anything to say? Is it just a bad batch we got or is hot shot just bad ammo? Never used this stuff before it says M193 on it so I don't know if hot shot makes like different variants or 5.56, like if they have a better 5.56 box for more money and we bought their cheapest stuff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Id say it was a bad batch of ammo. Im not familiar with hotshot, is it factory reload or new?? especially if its factory reload it may have a lot number and contacting the maker may be helpful to them and may get you a new box of ammo....maybe, maybe not after doing some googling

A quick google search shows the rifle stuff to be decent enough but lots of mention of being very dirty ammo. Looks to be low end plinking ammo so i wouldnt expect 100% functionality. keep running the stuff

Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:44 am

toys in the toybox wrote:
Id say it was a bad batch of ammo. Im not familiar with hotshot, is it factory reload or new?? especially if its factory reload it may have a lot number and contacting the maker may be helpful to them and may get you a new box of ammo....maybe, maybe not after doing some googling

A quick google search shows the rifle stuff to be decent enough but lots of mention of being very dirty ammo. Looks to be low end plinking ammo so i wouldnt expect 100% functionality. keep running the stuff

Yeah.. I'm not sure I'm gonna check, I don't mind for plinking and if it's dirty... But I will check to see about the ammo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:07 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Def. Bad batch I used to buy that all the time dirty as hell but never had any problems feeding or firing I think it is a great plunking ammo

Buying, Selling, Lease w/option to buy, Raw Land

Jason Aubry 206-327-0075
jaubry321@gmail.com

Debi Braulik
roundrealestate@gmail.com

Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:55 am

PLINKING damnit! I not a U! :gibbs: :045:

Hotshot has other companies make their ammo. I know they've had PMC make some of their .223 55gr in the past. I still have a case of it.

Does it state where it was made on the box?

Last edited by Unicorn on Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:18 am

Hot Shot is Century's brand used when importing ammo..

In the past, Hot Shot 5.56 was Romanian-made military surplus SS109. I had some of it and it was decent stuff, seemed to perform on par with M193.

I believe they are also currently importing from Hungary, and that may be the current producer of the Hot Shot 5.56.

Look on the box - it will probably have the country of origin printed.

Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have only used Federal or PMC in my AR. Only issuw I had was the gas key that came loose...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]