Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:24 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Help with Gun Room/Vault 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know there is a couple people here that have a gun room. I have a space Id like to turn into a gun room/vault. My house is on a full slab foundation. My thought was to take the existing sheetrock off all the walls and ceiling, sister in some steel studs(I have a almost limitless supply of them), then rivet on some steel plate(10ga?), then re sheetrock over it.
Any advice? Suggestions, hints, tips, etc? Is 10 ga thick enough? Can I run a standard electrical through the steel, or will the openings in the steel compromise the fire proofing too much? What have people done for a door?
Once its done, how is everyone standing guns up, hanging them on the walls?

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:59 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here'es the door:

http://www.cabelas.com/browse.cmd?categ ... vault+door

Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:

Wow! Those seem nice. However part of the reason I thought about building, was to save some money over the cost of a large safe. Looks like that wont be the case.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:21 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Your walls still need to breathe. Furring it out and then adding metal to it, then sheet rock will defeat that ability, creating condensation, humidity and air stagnation.

If it were me:
Pull the gyp bd and add a layer of welded wire mesh, this will keep people with saws and sledges at bay. For fun, you can throw in a few pieces of rebar. Then add 2 layers of 5/8" Type X Gyp Board. Do this to the ceiling as well. What this will do, is give you a 2 hour fire rating (weak point will be the roof collapsing the ceiling). Make sure you firetape the joints.

You need to condition the space as well. So you will need a heater and some way to perform an air change. Baseboard heat and put in a jumper vent above the door going into the gun room from the inside (not too big, 4"x12" or so).

Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:35 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Would it be easier to designate your gun room and then buy a very large residential security container/gun safe? Would save a lot of time, money and effort.

There are times when the situation as it occurs, dictates the course of actions that follow.

"I stand for the National Anthem, always have, always will"

On days like this, I often wonder what Gary Gordon and Randy Shughart would do...

Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SFCRMSA wrote:
Would it be easier to designate your gun room and then buy a very large residential security container/gun safe? Would save a lot of time, money and effort.

I have seen these helicoptered in for houses along Lake Tapps. Kind of requires a big hole or a home still under construction.

Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just put up some of your Cowboys and Tony Romo memorabilia on the walls outside, nobody will want to go in there.
:peep:

Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

L_O_G wrote:
Just put up some of your Cowboys and Tony Romo memorabilia on the walls outside, nobody will want to go in there.
:peep:

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :thumbsup2:

Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My gun room is almost all concrete
I can offer little help

Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rix86 wrote:
My gun room is almost all concrete
I can offer little help

What do you use for humidity control? Is it above or below grade?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:02 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

A gun room? A gun room? Shyeah! Are you mental? You hardly even own a gun, let alone enough to necessitate an entire room. What are you gonna do with a gun room?

Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:34 pm

Think you need to tell us what your goals are for the room. IE theft protection, fire protection, smash and grab protection, ect. Without investing a ton I could see doing a fire resistant room with "smash and grab" protection then have a good safe and not have to invest a ton of money into it. Like Massive said, wire mesh with a good fire resistant board with give a good layer of protection

Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sinus211 wrote:
A gun room? A gun room? Shyeah! Are you mental? You hardly even own a gun, let alone enough to necessitate an entire room. What are you gonna do with a gun room?

I should clarify, its more lf a vault than a room. I have 2 choices. 1 would be about an 8x4 rectangle, the other similar in size, but not a true rectangle.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:37 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Jagerbomber35 wrote:
sinus211 wrote:

I should clarify, its more lf a vault than a room. I have 2 choices. 1 would be about an 8x4 rectangle, the other similar in size, but not a true rectangle.

I'm just messing around man, I think it's an awesome idea. Just made me think of the gun rack quote from Wayne's World for some strange reason.

You could probably get a bunch of 8 or 10 gauge and just weld up a big box lined with sheetrock and felt. The door is gonna be tough to figure out though.

Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sinus211 wrote:
Jagerbomber35 wrote:
sinus211 wrote:

I'm just messing around man, I think it's an awesome idea. Just made me think of the gun rack quote from Wayne's World for some strange reason.

You could probably get a bunch of 8 or 10 gauge and just weld up a big box lined with sheetrock and felt. The door is gonna be tough to figure out though.

Pretty much where my head was at. Only as stated figured I'd sister in steel studs, and rivet the sheet on. Then can fireproof silicone the seams. Not too worried about the ceiling, other than fire protection. However Dan is raining on my parade by talking in Latin about air flow crap! :bruce:

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next