Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Cesspool liberal states vs self defense 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

http://www.modbee.com/news/local/crime/ ... 39873.html

BY ROSALIO AHUMADA

In California - summary, after being burgled several times, senior citizen home owner shot and killed a burglar/trespasser on his property apparently while the trespasser/thief was fleeing. The homeowner said he went out to confront the man half his age, and was in fear for his life. Convicted. Apparently the key may have been the deceased was shot in the back. I don't have enough facts, but that doesn't necessarily mean the threat is over. Maybe he was going to retrieve a weapon, or take cover, or maneuver around some obstacle to come at the homeowner? Don't know, but that fact seems to be despositive here. Senior citizen was convicted and sentenced to 7 years, which means probably dying in prison. I think it's a mistake to fixate on the value of the property.

If I were the defense attorney, I would introduce pictures and get testimony of armed bank guards, armed guards of those bank delivery vehicles. Clearly they are authorized to use deadly force with loaded guns over property theft. How about the armed guards at federal buildings, the US Mint, etc.?
Clearly if you just trespassed and walked in and tried to take money, you'd have guns bearing down on you with the threat of lethal force, and maybe even shot and killed. Same would happen if you trespassed into a police station, or other protected areas.

I understand that human life trumps property, but clearly "some" institutions get to protect property with guns. I do not understand how parts of this nation justify thievery on someones property making them helpless to do anything but call the cops and file a report which does nothing.

Compare that with the homeowner in Texas who saw two burglars breaking into his neighbors home, and went outside, and shot them. He was not prosecuted.
http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/story?id=5278638
By CHRIS BURYHOWARD L. ROSENBERG June 30, 2008

Just a reminder of why liberal states suck and we need to take this state back from the lunatic liberals.

Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:
"The prosecution said Boyer fired a shotgun at Pacheco from 20 yards away as Pacheco was trying to leave.

They're both outside his house, and the guy who died is 60 feet away from him and he shot him in the back.

Hardly a threat.

Try again.

Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

60 feet may or may not be a threat. I bet under the right circumstances someone could make you feel threatened for your life, at 20 yards away.

How long does it take to draw a concealed pistol? 1-2 seconds.

How long does it take to cover 60 feet (20 yards) for a healthy 25 year old man? 2 seconds, maybe 3.

These demonstrations would be easy to do in a court room.

Was there a tree or car he was moving to take cover and perhaps draw a weapon from behind cover?

Factor vast age difference of 25 vs. ~60ish.

Seems like a lot of info to explore.

I'm simply stating that more blame needs to be on the criminal burglar and less on the home owner.

Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ANZAC wrote:
Quote:
"The prosecution said Boyer fired a shotgun at Pacheco from 20 yards away as Pacheco was trying to leave.

They're both outside his house, and the guy who died is 60 feet away from him and he shot him in the back.

Hardly a threat.

Try again.

Schopenhauer Argument. Irrelevant.

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Like all stories of this type we are only getting part of the facts. Unless the entire court transcript is published we'll never have the same information that the Jury had when it made it's decision.

I do agree with the paradox where armed guards can use deadly force to protect property in some circumstances yet a property owner is barred from doing likewise. In the case of the government or corporation, the money at risk in robbery attempt often represents a mere fraction of their net worth. In the case of a private citizen that car, TV, Jewelry, Cash, may represent a large percentage of THEIR net worth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can't shoot fleeing individuals. That's clear. the armed guard statement is irrelevant

Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Duke EB wrote:
You can't shoot fleeing individuals. That's clear. the armed guard statement is irrelevant

Was he fleeing?

Or maybe turning as a natural defense reflex to having a gun leveled. Heck I've seen videos of people putting their hands up defensively, or jumping and twisting and turning all which way when being shot at.

Or, like I said, maneuvering for cover or to get a weapon?

Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:21 pm

Guys....

It's California. If the guy was on his front porch facing him, he still would have been convicted. CA and it's courts are notoriously anti gun, they have no castle doctrine, they have no stand your ground, they do have duty to retreat. Duty to retreat applies to your property, and all building on your property that are not your living area. Including your attached garage. So if you're in your attached garage, and someone breaks in, you have duty to retreat into the dwelling. People have been convicted for not doing so.

CA sucks. Fight the good fight to keep WA from following suit

Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:29 pm

Oh yeah, and to top it off, even if found not guilty in criminal court, you can and will be sued in civil court, and many lose the civil case after winning the criminal case

Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:32 pm

SixPointEight wrote:
Guys....

It's California. If the guy was on his front porch facing him, he still would have been convicted. CA and it's courts are notoriously anti gun, they have no castle doctrine, they have no stand your ground, they do have duty to retreat. Duty to retreat applies to your property, and all building on your property that are not your living area. Including your attached garage. So if you're in your attached garage, and someone breaks in, you have duty to retreat into the dwelling. People have been convicted for not doing so.

I'm surprised that wa is this gun friendly for being a blue state. The whole no duty to retreat, shall issue cpl's full capacity magazines etc.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:14 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SixPointEight wrote:
Guys....

Sounds like anyone living in CA and has a gun for self defense needs to also have a good friend with a backhoe and can get over to your house real quick.

Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

bsand wrote:
SixPointEight wrote:
Guys....

I'm surprised that wa is this gun friendly for being a blue state. The whole no duty to retreat, shall issue cpl's full capacity magazines etc.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Kind of helps that the WA State Constitution included their own version of the 2A. One that spelled out that the right to bear arms was an individual and one could carry for self defense. If the US Constitution had been written like Article 1, Section 24, both the Heller and McDonald cases would never have been necessary. Good chance all the anti-gun laws around the country would have been shit-canned as quick as they were written.

Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:49 pm

California is a bit ridiculous though. You can get sued for defending yourself in your own home if the person entering doesn't have a "deadly weapon" you pretty much have to fist fight anyone that enters the home.

Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:59 pm

Bennngeeee wrote:
California is a bit ridiculous though. You can get sued for defending yourself in your own home if the person entering doesn't have a "deadly weapon" you pretty much have to fist fight anyone that enters the home.

Disparity of force.

1 man on 1 man? No disparity.
1 man on 1 woman? Disparity.
2 men on 1 man? Disparity.
1 armed man in 1 man? Disparity.

You can use lethal force if there's a disparity of force or if a "reasonable person would be in fear of their life"

Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]