Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:02 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 AR15 bolt won't close 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm trying to fix an AR15. I took a video of the problem. Any thoughts on what I should do?

https://youtu.be/0p3JSIWMwxA

The end of the gas tube on my Colt feels like it flares out a tiny bit. The end of the gas tube on the problem rifle feels like it flares out quite a bit.

Do you think the gas tube is the problem? Maybe it's bent? Flares out too much?

Sun May 28, 2017 6:29 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Okay, now some pictures from the top so we can see the gas tube. It also might help if you use a charging handle. The charging handle might help align the gas key with the tube if it isn't aligning correctly in the video you just posted.

Sun May 28, 2017 6:50 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

old11bravo wrote:
Okay, now some pictures from the top so we can see the gas tube. It also might help if you use a charging handle. The charging handle might help align the gas key with the tube if it isn't aligning correctly in the video you just posted.

Will do. There are some other photos that concern me too. Damn frankenstein rifle.

Sun May 28, 2017 7:02 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check to make sure the forward assist is not protruding on the inside of the upper. Other thsn that, looks like gas tube interference with the gas key. Remove your gas block and tube to confirm.

Sun May 28, 2017 7:43 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Okay I made a imgur post with a bunch of photos: http://imgur.com/a/MEwFb

Should I be concerned about what appears to be excessive wear on the charging handle?
Should I be concerned about what appears to be wear on the upper receiver, caused by the charging handle?
What's up with the face of the locking lug?

Sun May 28, 2017 8:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BlDtyLry wrote:
Check to make sure the forward assist is not protruding on the inside of the upper. Other thsn that, looks like gas tube interference with the gas key. Remove your gas block and tube to confirm.

The forward assist is not protruding. Thanks for the idea.

Removing gas tube allows the bolt to slide in silky smooth.

Trying to put the gas tube into the gas key, outside the upper, is really stiff and hard. Should I replace the gas tube? Sand it down?

Sun May 28, 2017 8:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

cheapest fix would be to try a dift gas tube. could have been bent slightly. maybe your gas key wasn't staked correctly.

do you have a dift bolt you can try also?

show us pics of the bolt top and angles.

also if you insert only the charging handle does it seat all the way?

------------------

after watching your video did you give the bolt a nice hit? or just a finger tap? but the charging handle in and give that bolt some love

Yaki's - last journey

Promote a Growth Mindset. Don't let a fixed mindset not allow change for the better.

pow·er trip - noun - a self-aggrandizing quest for ever-increasing control over others.

Sun May 28, 2017 9:04 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ops wrote:
cheapest fix would be to try a dift gas tube. could have been bent slightly. maybe your gas key wasn't staked correctly.

do you have a dift bolt you can try also?

show us pics of the bolt top and angles.

also if you insert only the charging handle does it seat all the way?

------------------

after watching your video did you give the bolt a nice hit? or just a finger tap? but the charging handle in and give that bolt some love

This bolt fits in my Colt LE6920 perfectly.
My Colt bolt doesn't fit in this.
yes the charging handle seats all the way

I'm currently standing the nub at the end of the gas tube with 400grit sandpaper. It's getting better and better.

I can force it. But then most of the time it jams when firing.

Last edited by snozzberries on Sun May 28, 2017 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 28, 2017 9:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sanded the nub at the end of the gas tube smooth, now it slides in just like my colt does.

Sun May 28, 2017 9:15 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Any idea why the front of the lug looks weird? Maybe the outside coating is coming off? Also it that much wear on the charging handle expected?

Sun May 28, 2017 2:13 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Can't say I've ever seen that much wear in an upper and charging handle. How much lube do you have in there?

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Sun May 28, 2017 2:26 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dreadi wrote:
Can't say I've ever seen that much wear in an upper and charging handle. How much lube do you have in there?

There was previously some weird lubes/greases in there. Now it's just got CLP on it. It doesn't feel like the charging handle is too tight or anything.

Sun May 28, 2017 4:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Let's see the inside of the gas key on the bolt CARRIER. Is the key properly staked, tight and in line?

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sun May 28, 2017 6:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
Let's see the inside of the gas key on the bolt CARRIER. Is the key properly staked, tight and in line?

Yeah the bolt carrier gas key looks fine. Works great in my Colt. I sanded down the gas tube and it seems to work great. So I think that part is done.

Now I'm just wondering why the charging handle is so scraped up and what's up with the front of the lug.

Sun May 28, 2017 6:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In my experience, charging handle tolerances can be pretty wild and much more sloppy than the bcg/barrel/etc. I've thrown away more than a couple that came from SAA, PSA, etc, because there was so much slop on the charge. These weren't normal wear spots, these were so bad that in the first 50 charges it scraped away almost all finish on both the handle and upper from wiggling so much.

Is that a crack forming on the lower left lug?

NRA Certified RSO
SAF/NRA Life Member

Tue May 30, 2017 9:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next