Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:09 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Glock 29 
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Less weight. Less mass. Those are on my list of desires concerning features for this firearm and purpose.

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:21 am
Profile WWW

Recently decided to pick up a woods carry gun for an upcoming trip into Grizzly country.
I wanted something that was compact/concealable that wouldn't get in the way to much while hiking, fishing or kayaking.
It would have to provide good defense against four legged as well as 2 legged predators.
This would have to be a 1 gun do most and had to be versatile as it was the only one I was planning on bringing.

Not having much experience with revolvers and liking more capacity than they offered I opted for a platform I was familiar with and decided to get a Glock 29 (10mm)
While not as powerful as the 454 or 44 mag which I was also looking at, It allowed me to carry 11 or 16rds in the gun (depending on magazine) to supplement the Bear spray I'm carrying.
After deciding upon the gun, the big choice was ammunition selection.
After scouring the internet for every Bear vs. 10mm video I could find I decided to place an order for Underwood 10mm ammo, as it was almost half the price of BuffaloBore, just as hot and got great reviews.

140gr 10mm (roughly 1500fps from full length barrel)
https://ejr583szase3743dd3rmzqi1-wpengi ... 00x700.jpg

220gr 10mm (roughly 1200fps from full length barrel)
https://ejr583szase3743dd3rmzqi1-wpengi ... 00x700.png

The ammo is definitely Hot, but recoil from a gen 4 glock 29 with a pierce grip extension was not to bad, allowing pretty fast follow up shots.
I had heard that the glock 10mm, particularly the glock 29 were extremely accurate and this gun did not disappoint!
The 220gr ammo grouped extremely tight and the 140gr wasn't that far behind.

I'm pretty happy so far with the set up and just need to pick a better concealable holster as I'm running a serpa for fast secure owb carry while hiking, but its not great for concealed carry in town.

Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:52 pm

That's great info. Thank you. Did you chrono your shots?

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer

Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:29 pm
Profile WWW

Sadly I did not get a chance to chronograph any of the loads, just function checked and grouped at 12 yards.

Thus far the ammo I have tried includes:

Underwood 220 gr 10mm hardcast lead flat nose. Grouped extremely well with most shots touching or close to touching in a 5rd group.

Underwood 140 gr 10mm Extreme Penetator grouped pretty tight but not as close as the 220gr

Sig 180gr JHP 10mm pretty good but not as tight as the 220gr or 140gr underwood. Probably use for self defense for the 2 legged predators as it was pretty easy to source from sportsmans warehouse.

Grizzly 200 gr Hardcast lead Flat nose. This load did not group well compared to the above loads and I had 2 FTF with it. As so I ruled this ammo out as a carry load for my glock 29. Ymmv.

PMC 40sw FMJ. Shot this ammo from the stock glock 10mm barrel glock 29, yes it worked well for me with no adverse effects, functioned flawlessly.
As it was a 40sw being shot from a 10mm it was by far the most mild load with the quickest recovery time. Grouped well and I plan to use it as my general range plinking round until I'm stocked up on 10mm brass and dies for reloading.

The big question became which round to carry in the gun for protection from bears.
I still haven't settled definitively on which load between the 220gr or the 140gr Underwood ammo.
On one hand the 220 gr grouped extremely well, but had more recoil and is a lead loading (although hard cast) in a glock barrel which I've always heard isn't optimal (leading in polygonal rifling).

The 140gr Extreme Penitrator goes through pretty thick bullet proof glass (youtube 22plinkster vid) when fired through a 6" Glock40, but how does it preform through the shorter barrel glock 29?

It would of helped to chrono the loads as it may have swayed me one way or another between the two Underwood loads but I just didn't have time to.
Another load I'd love to try and may have to buy (begrudgingly because of the price) is BuffaloBore's 220gr hardcast lead flat nose 10mm.
I hear great things about this loading as well but just couldn't justify the additional price over Underwoods similar load.

While I did not see major signs of leading in the barrel I scrubbed the hell out of the barrel afterwards just incase, and then repeated a few more times for good measure.

I will say that not a lot of stores carry Good Glock 20/21/30/29 holsters and even fewer will carry IWB ones.
I had bought a cheaper Walmart generic Uncle Mikes IWB holster for Concealed carry (out of desperation/time crunch) when not hiking and it flat out did not work for my needs.
If I were to do it over again I would of ordered a Crossbreed IWB or similar for town carry and Hiked with the Serpa.
That damn uncle mikes holster is counter productive for my needs and seems to increase an already thick gun another inch or so in width, making it ridiculously obvious that I'm carrying or have some hideous abnormal growth protruding from the side of my hip.

Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dreadi, I'm up in Kent. I'm busy today but if you want to come up to Champion Arms and spend about 30 minutes with my G29 I can help you out. I don't have much factory ammo. So if you don't buy some you will be shooting some moderate loads.

I ran a box of .45 +PS through my 1911 before. That gave a similar recoil sensation.

Studying for my Liberal Arts degree at Evergreen College.

YouTube taught me, just like everybody else.

Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:34 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I vote for 1911 44mag route. Going rimmed might as well do 460S&W that way 454Casull and 45LC also in play. Set the bar.

Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:09 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a G29 as well. Scheduling time might be tough, but we can try if Stompah can't make it work.

I have the standard mags and 1 G20 mag with x-grip adapter. It gives full size grip with compact frame. I like it a lot.

Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DGM33 wrote:
Ops wrote:
DGM33 wrote:
I bought one last week, took it out tonight to shoot. It took a couple of mags to get used to, it I love it!

couple mags? you need to go to the gym.

Funny, I go to the gym 4 times a week. Haven't seen you there, though!

Ops is working on that third trimester look right now.

Bad ump, pssshhh. Thank you, thank you very much - I'll be performing in the lounge all week long.

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:19 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DGM33 wrote:
Ops wrote:
DGM33 wrote:
I bought one last week, took it out tonight to shoot. It took a couple of mags to get used to, it I love it!

couple mags? you need to go to the gym.

Funny, I go to the gym 4 times a week. Haven't seen you there, though!

You must be going to the wrong gym

Yaki's - last journey

Promote a Growth Mindset. Don't let a fixed mindset not allow change for the better.

pow·er trip - noun - a self-aggrandizing quest for ever-increasing control over others.

Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey, maybe this is what those shockwave 12 gauges are good for. Bear backup gun. Need to find a holster though

Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just get a 44mag revolver, or a delta elite if you're worried about bears.
More barrel is better for 10mm

Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SporkBoy wrote:
I vote for 1911 44mag route. Going rimmed might as well do 460S&W that way 454Casull and 45LC also in play. Set the bar.

Are you talking form experience or do you think it would just be cool to have a 1911 in 44 MAG, 460 S&W, 454 Casull or 45 LC? I do not think you actually know what you are talking about. icon_eek

There are times when the situation as it occurs, dictates the course of actions that follow.

"I stand for the National Anthem, always have, always will"

On days like this, I often wonder what Gary Gordon and Randy Shughart would do...

Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:10 pm

Why not have a semi auto hand canon in 1911?

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer

Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:57 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why not just get a desert eagle? or a 44 automag? if you can build one, do it!

Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:12 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Ok, here's my recent experience and why I went 29...

We spent a few days last week in Glacier National Park in Montana. They have warning signs and pamphlets everywhere warning about bears. They sell (and even rent!) bear spray all over and all the rangers and many of the hikers carry it. Honestly, I wasn't terribly concerned about a violent bear encounter, but I figured this would be a good excuse to buy into a new caliber. However, carrying a different plastic black gun that looked pretty much the same as all the others was in my interest from a domestic standpoint--if you catch my drift.

Carrying the G29 in place of a G43 or Shield40 (my usual EDC's), I found it was definitely much more noticeable to me. It was heavier and dug into my fat rolls more, but on the other hand it was comforting all the same to know it was there.

Pretty much as I expected, I never did come face to face with a bear. We did luck out to see a big grizzly about a mile away on the other side of a valley, but that was the extent of our bear experience. Mountain goats, however, were all over the place--often walking right up to and along the trail we were on. But I didn't feel threatened by them.

At any rate, I liked having the 10mm for the peace of mind and have already found myself swapping it into my EDC rotation depending on the conditions of the day.

Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next