Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 8:41 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 How important is "second strike capable" to you in your gun? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is for your carry or HD handgun specifically (not necessarily range gun).

I fully rely on and have confidence in striker fired guns, and primarily carry striker fired guns. And I rely on premium ammo. So the odds of a bad primer strike are very low - but not zero. Remedial drill, of course, is tap, rack, bang. I am fully trained.

With that in mind, I'm curious how important is second strike capable (e.g. probably a hammer fired gun) to you?

I've carried a Glock for the bulk of my civilian carry experience, and when not a Glock, an XD, so I'd estimate 90% of my carry time is striker fired guns. Sometimes early in my carry days I picked a hammer fired CZ or revolver.

Anyway, I've been contemplating a switch to a CZ or a Sig P229. Just trying to get an idea how important others think hammer fired guns are and particularly second strike capability is.

Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:07 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

well, sir, an interesting proposition. My first reaction is that if you suffer a misfire, then in the next instance the fight will have moved on to either YOU suffering a gunshot wound, and/or the fight will have evolved into a grappling/boxing match; in which case the inoperative gun will become a bludgeon.

I do carry a BUG.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:31 am

In theory second strike is very important but in reality ..I don't know. Seems like the odds of a squib or broken firing pin or failure to feed/eject happen more often.

Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:00 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's not important at all for me. The primer issues I've seen would not be helped by second strike, as the firing pin hits the same spot as before. The likelihood of hitting it with enough force after it's already been dimpled and not gone off is close to zero IMHO

Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:13 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Duke EB wrote:
It's not important at all for me. The primer issues I've seen would not be helped by second strike, as the firing pin hits the same spot as before. The likelihood of hitting it with enough force after it's already been dimpled and not gone off is close to zero IMHO

This makes sense to me

Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not important at all. If the round doesn't go off when struck, I'm ejecting it and moving on to the next round.

Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:09 am
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Duke EB wrote:

Now where in the world did you learn that? Shooting guns in matches that simulate potential defensive situations?

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:08 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like options. Never had a bad pistol round though. I do like the fact my Taurus is striker fired, but it reverts to DA should the round fail..

Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:11 am

I dont worry about it. When im at the range with someone ill have them load my mag and sneak snap caps in, when it goes dead repack. That round has already told me it's not good, I'm not giving it a 2nd chance to mess up

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:14 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dreadi wrote:
Duke EB wrote:

Now where in the world did you learn that? Shooting guns in matches that simulate potential defensive situations?

I got that from all shooting that I have done. If a round doesn't go off, I eject it and look (not in competition obviously). I see that the primer is dimpled, and I reload it and try it again. I don't recall any of them going off in the same gun after that. they might in a different gun, but not the first one.

Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:17 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mediumrarechicken wrote:
I dont worry about it. When im at the range with someone ill have them load my mag and sneak snap caps in, when it goes dead repack. That round has already told me it's not good, I'm not giving it a 2nd chance to mess up

This is my drill as well. I can only see it being an issue if it's the LAST round. I've never had a premium SD round fail to ignite.

From time to time, and in one revolver in particular (which came to me with a weak hammer spring that I replaced), some cheap WWB ammo failed to ignite due to weak primer strikes - the same rounds did fire after a 2nd or 3rd strike, or a strike in a different revolver.

My SD carry gun has simply never failed to fire (or eject, or feed, or any other malfunction for that matter).

I think it's a concern that really is such a low probability, and a remedial action is probably better than a 2nd strike unless I'm unable to do a remedial action to correct it.

Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:33 pm

leadcounsel wrote:
Mediumrarechicken wrote:

This is my drill as well. I can only see it being an issue if it's the LAST round. I've never had a premium SD round fail to ignite.

From time to time, and in one revolver in particular (which came to me with a weak hammer spring that I replaced), some cheap WWB ammo failed to ignite due to weak primer strikes - the same rounds did fire after a 2nd or 3rd strike, or a strike in a different revolver.

My SD carry gun has simply never failed to fire (or eject, or feed, or any other malfunction for that matter).

I think it's a concern that really is such a low probability, and a remedial action is probably better than a 2nd strike unless I'm unable to do a remedial action to correct it.

If you are down to your last round and you need it, death is right around the corner regardless. That's the way I look at it

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I dislike striker fired guns so it dont matter to me.

Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:33 pm

While I will only use a second strike on a dud round as a last resort...I WILL ONLY BET MY LIFE ON A PISTOL THAT OFFERS A SECOND STRIKE! Sig or HK are my carry tools.

Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

rack and run.

Yaki's - last journey

Promote a Growth Mindset. Don't let a fixed mindset not allow change for the better.

pow·er trip - noun - a self-aggrandizing quest for ever-increasing control over others.

Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next