Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:15 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Thinking about starting women's basic pistol class-thoughts? 
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

I'm considering launching a 1-day basic handgun safety/firearm selection class designed exclusively for women, and another for Venturing Crews (BSA). It would be commercial, but relatively low cost. It would be ⅔ day classroom + 2 hours live fire with a plethora of pistols, starting easy with .22s. I've got the certs, my wife and 26yo daughter would help teach/RSO/help with live fire.

I'd like to get your thoughts on a couple of things:
  1. How would you recommend assessing the demand for this? There is a similar program in the area that is ending soon; I'm curious as to how to assess without (yet) committing huge resources to running the course.
  2. I could swear that I've heard of firearm and bullet manufacturers donating guns/bullets to programs like this. Or is that only non-profit/club-sponsored programs? I know about the NRA discounts on stuff.
  3. The biggest recurring expense is ammo (reloads are verboten by the NRA for their training). Is there a way to defray all/some of these costs with sponsors?
  4. Outside of word-of-mouth, how would you go about reaching the moms in the community? I can't imagine getting Starbucks to post a flyer, or the Fred Meyer pharmacy... :-)

What are your thoughts?

Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:47 pm
Profile WWW

My wife took the one out of Olympia a while back. She was asked to bring her own ammo , can't remember if she was supposed to bring her own gun but I sent her with two. They do a lot of promoting on FB which is where I initially found the info on the class.

Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do you have a range and classroom near by to teach?

Is it indoor or outdoor or both?

As for advertising... easy.

It's free on the internet (FB, Forums) etc, etc.
-You can check with indoor and outdoor ranges about posting as well. Just depends on if it would compete with something they have.
-Gunstores and even by talking to the folks behind the counters at Walmart and other outlets where they sell ammo/firearms.

Are you able to travel?

It's been a growing market (woman shooters) and it hasn't reached it's peak...

Side note:

An idea I have been tossing around is "tele-teaching"

Not everyone can attend a class but most can facetime (depending on range rules).
By having someone facetime and film the shooter - you can watch and give feedback to the shooter But you don't have to be there.

You can just coordinate time/fee, etc

If the shooter has a Bluetooth earpiece they can hear you under their ear muffs.

Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:47 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

We have a garden club at SVRC.

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:32 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.facebook.com/events/888001094680811/

http://www.womenandguns.co/womens-basic ... damentals/

Locally, I know the woman who runs this course. It's $200 for an 8 hour class. They provide the guns and the ammo. And limit it to 10 people. They have a class tomorrow, and tickets still available (e.g. they haven't even sold all 10 spaces).

So, in theory, you might sell 1 ticket unless you had a minimum registration number.

Quote:
Topics covered include:

Safe Gun Handling

Range Etiquette
Loading - Unloading
Verifying condition (Loaded or Not loaded)
Racking the Slide - Locking it open
Gun Shop Etiquette
Gun Storage
Ammunition Basics

How it works
How to store it
Different Types
Which one to purchase
Shooting Fundamentals

How to Stand (Stance)
How to hold the gun (Grip)
How to aim (Sight Alignment)
Trigger Control
Accurate, safe shooting starts with a good foundation. Learn it right from the beginning and you will enjoy years of safe, fun shooting.

Class may last longer than scheduled times. Classes that do not meet minimum enrollment requirements will be re-scheduled to the following month.

Class Location: Lakewood Shooting Range, 11701 Pacific Highway SW, Suite B, Lakewood, WA 98499

I suppose if I was totally living in a closet bubble with my ubber-liberal anti-gun friends and had nobody to show me or teach me, and I was afraid of my own shadow to ask a gun owner to show me, I'd pay $200 for a day of very basic fundamentals. But anyone that I know that is interested in guns, I'll take them to the range, they buy their own ammo, and I teach them.

Frankly, a motivated person could find pretty much everything on that list in a day of youtube and could probably just ask someone to show them. There's nothing on that list that I can't find instantly on youtube. Heck, a person could just get a toy gun and practice holding and stance. Surf a few gun forums for advice on a new gun, etc.

I really just don't see a demand. I'm not sure if a business would earn enough to justify, or if there's enough demand. Maybe? There are some risks too, and I have to believe you'd have to run back ground checks and insurance. You're handing total strangers your gun and trusting they aren't a prohibited person or nutjob.

https://www.denverpost.com/2010/11/18/a ... ing-range/
By KIERAN NICHOLSON
Quote:
The twin sisters made a pact to commit suicide together in Colorado on the last day before one of them would be required to return to home to Australia.

The 29-year-olds each put a 22-caliber pistol to her head and pulled the triggers simultaneously at the Family Shooting Center at Cherry Creek State Park Monday afternoon.

Last edited by leadcounsel on Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not everyone considers themselves an expert after a few Google searches & YouTube videos, and not every woman knows a self-proclaimed know-it-all.

To not encourage classes because that's not how you would do it is just plan silly.

Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWGunner wrote:
Not everyone considers themselves an expert after a few Google searches & YouTube videos, and not every woman knows a self-proclaimed know-it-all.

To not encourage classes because that's not how you would do it is just plan silly.

Why do you behave this way? :thumbsdown:

Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:05 pm

oldkim wrote:
Do you have a range and classroom near by to teach?

Is it indoor or outdoor or both?

As for advertising... easy. It's free on the internet (FB, Forums) etc, etc.
It's been a growing market (woman shooters) and it hasn't reached it's peak...

An idea I have been tossing around is "tele-teaching"

I do have a range that rents both a clubhouse and a covered range bay. The range would support it, and might put it on their website.
It IS a growing market-and I'm really, really glad to see it.
Facebook hates guns--I'd probably manage to get myself banned repeatedly. But I'm sure I can find a way to leverage it.
leadcounsel wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/events/888001094680811/

http://www.womenandguns.co/womens-basic ... damentals/

Locally, I know the woman who runs this course. It's $200 for an 8 hour class.

Thanks for the links. I'd like to do something similar, but that description seems a little bit basic.

And you're right, of course. I've signed a waiver that looked remarkably like a form 4473--I'm not sure it would be necessary to go beyond that for background checks. And the NRA has been making a great big deal about their instructor's insurance.

My wife would never have picked up a firearm if she hadn't had someone instructing her. She was too afraid, in the beginning. It takes a lot of intrinsic motivation to search out all the youtube instructional videos. And it takes a highly tuned BS meter to sort through the testosterone-laden posturing, positioning, and outright misinformation online.

Ultimately, I'd like to see far more women in the sport. If I can reach them and the mature youth to bring them into the sport, they can make their own decisions about the sport independent of the media fearmongering.

BadKarma wrote:

I love the garden club idea! That's good marketing. Any ideas as to how well-attended it is?

Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:23 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

In Olympia there are TWO companies that are teaching women classes. One of the biggest draws is it's BY women, FOR women. There are male RSO's that help out on occasion, buy most of their staff are very experienced ladies.

The two down here are:
www.lockandloadem.com
www.foxesandfirearms.com

Both Dee (Foxes) and Emily (LNL) are fantastic ambassadors to our sport. They have brought in HUNDREDS of women shooters.

Dee teaches in both Old and Tacoma and Emily is Olympia area. I know Emily can't keep up with demand, and basically has classes every weekend.

I will say, that we (Steve and I) are HUGE proponents of bringing women into the shooting sports and are beginning to look at ways to sponsor & support those companies who cater to new women shooters.

Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:47 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Massivedesign wrote:
I will say, that we (Steve and I) are HUGE proponents of bringing women into the shooting sports and are beginning to look at ways to sponsor & support those companies who cater to new women shooters.

Yep, we had some long talks about this very subject while we were in Vegas for SHOT.

Rutilate, I heard the recent news about losing our north-end ladies' class, and that's a serious blow to our shooting community. I really hope that someone can fill that position, and hopefully increase the number of students being taught. From everything I heard, the by-ladies for-ladies classes in the area (Emily, Dee, Diana and until recently Amy) are a huge success, and obviously this should matter to ALL of us because bringing more ladies into the sport is a huge key to our future success.

Rutilate, obviously the "by ladies" part is where you wouldn't quite fit the mold, even if you have ladies helping you out. I'm not saying that you can't make it work -- I hope you can -- but I would have your lady helpers at the forefront as much as possible, and have them teach the women-specific parts of the course that might be included (e.g., holster choices).

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:17 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unless they are retired empty-nesters, most women are not able to carve job/children/other demands on their time to attend a class. Once you start, be prepared that it will take longer than you think for the word to reach those who would take the class. It will take even longer for them to plan ahead and carve out the time.
the market segment for this that does *not* yet own a gun is exponentially larger.
offer the gun and ammo included, my suggestion: .22 autos.
there are more retired ladies than you think who want this, and most likely have "a" gun to bring.

Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:18 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Invest 100% of your marketing energy into word-of-mouth (including electronic). No one will bring more ladies than ladies who are already there and welcoming.

Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:22 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

quantsuff wrote:
No one will bring more ladies than ladies who are already there and welcoming.

I agree with this. Get some through, make them happy, and they will send their friends.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:26 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Rutilate wrote:
BadKarma wrote:

I love the garden club idea! That's good marketing. Any ideas as to how well-attended it is?

It is always full.
SVRC Garden Club

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:02 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good ear-pro is a must. Electronic is best, as it filters the gunfire, but allows them to hear the coaching without screaming. Many don't like the "feeling" of being shouted at. Yet, you gotta get thru the firing sounds and through the ear pro...so....

Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next