Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 4:00 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Discussion or advice on how to create an Illegal NFA item will result in an immediate ban. No advice given within should replace user due diligence. Always consult a lawyer / professional.

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 First-time Supressor specific .22LR handgun options? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, I should eventually get my can from SSG. Over a year now and I’d like to have a host ready when that day comes. I’ve owned .22 revolvers and a few semis but non were threaded. Looking for solid hands on advice for a nice .22LR plinker host pistol. I’m thinking of either a Ruger 22/45 or a Glock 44 with aftermarket barrel? I’ve heard the mosquito is junky. What says you?

Criteria:

Price: under $500 total
Easy-ish to clean
Durable and reliable

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Things I’ll take in trade: KAC Micro rear sight, KAC M5/M4 RAS, Glock 29 Gen3/4, 17C Gen4, Glock 31C Gen4 slide, Glock 20/29/19/17/22/23/21 mags, TC Encore parts

Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Without a doubt, one of the Colt 1911A1 .22 LR pistols, made by Walther in Germany and imported by Umarex. They are very high quality and extremely reliable pistols. They're also easy to take down and clean, but they honestly don't need a lot of maintenance. I own two and they will feed anything I load in them. How many other .22 pistols can do that? I've owned many others, but none have the reliability of these pistols. Price will run you about $300-400 depending upon the model (they have 3: Government model, Rail Gun, and Gold Cup Trophy). My vote is the Gold Cup, but they are all solid. The only thing you'd need is a thread adapter so you can mount your can. They're about $20 for a good one.

Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lusting after that Gold Cup 22LR myself. Might be my next gun purchase.

Divided we fall.

Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the GSG 1911 .22 and it runs like a champ with my Spectre II can. They were bought out by SIG and are sold under that brand name now.
I have also used the Can with the Walther P22 with success, no issues with it. I prefer the 1911 .22 platform though.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm an M&P guy, I bought a M&P fullsize 22lr. Also have a ATI 22lr top end on a steel 1911 frame. Have a couple other full size pistols with threaded 22 conversions.

As far as I know all the Umarex/Sig/GSG/ATI 1911s are the same, I wouldnt have a preference, they all require a barrel bushing adapter for a suppressor, same as the Ruger SR22 and M&P 22s.

If I was going to buy a dedicated 22lr suppressor host tomorrow I'd strongly be looking at the cheapest 22/45 I could find , Mk3 22/45, and have the barrel chopped to 2" and replace the rear sight with a RDS mount. With a can on the 2" barrel it'd be about "normal" length and EVERYTHING run through it is subsonic.

Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWRed wrote:
I'm an M&P guy, I bought a M&P fullsize 22lr. Also have a ATI 22lr top end on a steel 1911 frame. Have a couple other full size pistols with threaded 22 conversions.

As far as I know all the Umarex/Sig/GSG/ATI 1911s are the same, I wouldnt have a preference, they all require a barrel bushing adapter for a suppressor, same as the Ruger SR22 and M&P 22s.

If I was going to buy a dedicated 22lr suppressor host tomorrow I'd strongly be looking at the cheapest 22/45 I could find , Mk3 22/45, and have the barrel chopped to 2" and replace the rear sight with a RDS mount. With a can on the 2" barrel it'd be about "normal" length and EVERYTHING run through it is subsonic.

I'm not sure why you say you need an adapter for those 1911 .22's or the Walther/Ruger P22's. My GSG and Walther P22 had threaded barrels, i just unscrewed the cap and screwed my can on with no issues.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
NWRed wrote:

I'm not sure why you say you need an adapter for those 1911 .22's or the Walther/Ruger P22's. My GSG and Walther P22 had threaded barrels, i just unscrewed the cap and screwed my can on with no issues.

Yours probably just came with the adapter already installed. Mine required what NWRed described.

Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guns4Liberty wrote:
usrifle wrote:
NWRed wrote:

Yours probably just came with the adapter already installed. Mine required what NWRed described.

There was no "adapter" just a threaded 1/2 X 28 barrel.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It looks like there are flats there on the barrel, just forward of the slide when it's locked to the rear. Are you sure that threaded end doesn't come off?

Same with the Walther...I see flats near the muzzle, which would indicate that is just a threaded cap, which would come off in order to install a threaded adapter for use with a muzzle device like a can.

Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
Guns4Liberty wrote:
usrifle wrote:
NWRed wrote:

There was no "adapter" just a threaded 1/2 X 28 barrel.

Those are externally threaded adapters. The actual barrel I believe is threaded M8xsomething and is way to small in dia to thread a suppressor on. The 1/2x28 adapters are $20. There are flats on the barrel (or barrel sleeve depending on the pistol) for a small wrench as Guns4Liberty pointed out, that allow you to take the adapter off and put a non externally threaded cap on the barrel.

https://youtu.be/bFdhr46GyoM - GSG 1911
https://youtu.be/8NPo_BgLSoI - walther p22
https://youtu.be/7bP66w4Fdzw - ruger sr22
https://youtu.be/KByuOobkM18 - M&P 22 compact
https://youtu.be/WMVBJPUVKrk - taurus tx22

Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Id go with a Browning Buckmark over the Rugers.
Easier takedown for cleaning, and the magazines are easier/faster in reloading and seating fully.
Triggers are awesome and they are very accurate and reliable

Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guns4Liberty wrote:
It looks like there are flats there on the barrel, just forward of the slide when it's locked to the rear. Are you sure that threaded end doesn't come off?

Same with the Walther...I see flats near the muzzle, which would indicate that is just a threaded cap, which would come off in order to install a threaded adapter for use with a muzzle device like a can.

The flats on the Walther are for the wrench to remove the cap.
The GSG? Well, I just looked and with the slide locked back I noticed a seam.
It looks like that is an adapter to the barrel that has the direct threads for the can.
I stand corrected on the GSG. :bow:

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:06 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

My favorite suppressed 22 pistol host is the Ruger Sr22. Easy to take down and clean.

I honestly enjoy shooting my 22/45 more but the takedown and cleaning is such a pain I’d rather be gumming up an easier to clean pistol.

I’ve got to get one of those gsg’s. They look fun!

Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:08 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought a Ruger Mark IV 22/45 to be an eventual suppressor host

The Mark IV is much easier to take down and clean. Push a button and the upper separates from the lower

Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:21 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Really like the GSG photo's in the thread. That looks like a great suppressor host.

I've never been a personal fan of the 22/45 but that is strictly based on my own aesthetic preferences. The Ruger 22 pistols are great guns in general, super reliable and a solid design. The Mk IV guns are also greatly improved to address the difficult field stripping and reassembly procedures with prior generation Ruger rimfires. I've long been wanting to get a Mk IV and upgrade it with a Tactical Solutions upper.But that get's to be a pretty spendy option.

I have a Browning Buckmark purchased several years ago. In the meantime, Browning now offers three current production threaded barrel hosts. Here is one:
https://www.browning.com/products/firearms/pistols/buck-mark-pistols/current-production/buck-mark-plus-lite-flute-ufx-suppressor-ready.html

Just yesterday I ordered a new 22LR pistol for dual use in SCSA pistol steel competitions as well as a suppressor host. The aesthetics may not be everyone's cup of tea but to me the carbon fibre wrap barrel is pretty cool and also just purchased a CGS Siren 22LR suppressor with carbon fibre tube to go with it.
https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/performance-center-sw22-victory-target-model-6-carbon-fiber-target-barrel-red-dot-sight

There's also an iron sighted version if red dots are not your thing:
https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/sw22-victory-threaded-barrel

These are direct competitors to the Ruger Mark IV.

Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next