Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 IDPA / USPSA / Fun Steel Info 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Isildur wrote:
ASI is exactly for shooters like you.

http://asi-usa.org/

I to am looking for something to start shooting competitively (but not too seriously) and ASI looks like a good option. Main thing against it (for me) is all the locations I see listed are farther North than I like going. Does anyone here go to Mason County Sportsman's Association shoots? The only downside I see with them is the 3 events below are all early Tuesday evenings (set up starts at 5pm, shooting starts at 6pm), so if I have to be there for the set up I'd have to leave work a little early.

Practical Pistol Competition, for the new and intermediate shooter wishing to practice sight alignment and trigger control in a friendly and challenging series.
Concealed Carry Action Pistol league, For the new and intermediate shooter wishing to improve their combat shooting skills with their concealed carry firearm.
Action Pistol League, for the new and intermediate shooter wishing to improve their combat shooting skills and move on to USPSA, IDPA and NRA Action Pistol Matches.
They also have Steel shoots, on Thursdays at the same time, and USPSA shoots one Sunday a month.
I'm going to contact them but was wondering if anyone here can share their experiences (positive or negative) with MCSA? Thanks!

Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:49 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like I've found a new place to shoot: http://masoncountysa.com/index.html
I've only watched a Practical Pistol match and participated in one Action Pistol match but I'm sold on going back for more! I also like that they have a wide selection of different types of events each month. Now I can switch weeks and use all of my handguns between the different events: http://masoncountysa.com/shootingevents.html
I also like the fact that most of the events are only $8 for non-members (yes, I admit it, I'm cheap!) AND it's only about a 20 minute drive from home. :thumbsup2:

Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TNovasky wrote:
are there any intro to competitive shooting classes or workshops for a new guy like me? I have shot some but the stationary lane shooting is getting a little bit stale.

but I also don't want to be just thrown into a competition yet either.

Thanks

Being in Bonney Lake I think the Pistol Steels match at Paul Bunyan in Puyallup would be a perfect start. Nice bunch of folks. Just mention that you are new to competitive shooting when you sign up and they will squad you with some experienced shooters to show you the ropes for range safety, shooting technique, etc.

Other than that, any formal training at Insights or FAS that explores the trade-off between speed and accuracy is a good investment. Many long-time shooters have become highly accurate which just means that they can start to explore the balance between reasonable/combat accuracy and higher speed.

Have fun and be safe

Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:12 am

Does anybody know if you have to be a member to shoot the match at Paul Bunyan? I called them to ask but no response so far and their website implies it's for members only. Thanks!

Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:35 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SFGunGuy wrote:
Does anybody know if you have to be a member to shoot the match at Paul Bunyan? I called them to ask but no response so far and their website implies it's for members only. Thanks!

I talked to someone about 2 weeks ago and no, you don't have to be a member to shoot a match.

Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For the USPSA, IDPA, and Steel matches, you usually do not need to be member of the range. If you're shooting IDPA, the organization requires you to be a USPSA member shortly after going to your first match. I'm not sure if USPSA requires a membership to shoot a match. Those questions can be asked of the staff running the matches. By all means, go and have fun!

Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:24 am

Thanks I'll check it out!

Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2