Switch to full style
Know a great, safe spot to shoot? Post it up! Coordinate clean-up effort here as well.
Post a reply

Places, places, places -- I need some

Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:04 pm

Someone PM me with good places to shoot close (like 10 miles close) to Arlington/Granite Falls/Marysville/Lake Stevens with good roads. We always clean it up before and after we are done. FMJ 911 and a few others can vouch for that. We always pick up everything we bring in and a few more bags besides. Oh, and the Sedro pit is just too stinkin far. 55 miles one way. As a last resort, I have some half price passes to Norpoint that I will use if necessary. Just not as fun as outdoors.

Re: Places, places, places -- I need some

Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:12 pm

Under the WAGuns.org logo above is a place that says "Maps places to shoot".
You might start there.

cootduster

Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:25 pm

Already been there. Not much useful info for the area I am interested in. The closest thing I can find is possibly N.F. 41 or N.F. 4011 at Green Mountain. Anything closer?

Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:10 am

Pull out a DNR map and start hitting the road! Bring a GPS and get coords!

Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:50 am

Just Call Me Dave wrote:Someone PM me with good places to shoot close (like 10 miles close) to Arlington/Granite Falls/Marysville/Lake Stevens with good roads. We always clean it up before and after we are done. FMJ 911 and a few others can vouch for that. We always pick up everything we bring in and a few more bags besides. Oh, and the Sedro pit is just too stinkin far. 55 miles one way. As a last resort, I have some half price passes to Norpoint that I will use if necessary. Just not as fun as outdoors.

Go to Google Earth and look for open spaces in areas you're interested in. Then check out NF maps to see if they have roads in the area and how close any housing, etc might be.

Really, some of the best places are found by just scouting. For the last 9 mo's I've just been shooting at a range so I haven't found any new honey holes within 10 miles or so of the areas you mentioned. Too many chunks of private property. No good areas until you get to the national forest and with the fire danger beyond extreme, expect lots of closed gates.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:39 pm

Well, I will say there's the places that generated a big flap with that certain timber company. It's pretty close to Arlington, however, I'd use caution when going out there. Too many conflicting reports on whether they are closed or not.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:15 pm

We ended up going to the Sedro/Lyman pit after all. Got there about 3:00 PM. It was AWESOME! :inlove: There were a grand total of 12 people around (including us) over the period of the two hours we were there. We went through 200 rounds of .45 and 9mm each, and another 250 of .22LR :AR15firing: . Picked up four 30 gallon bags of trash and about 4 pounds of .40, 9mm, .45, and .38 spl mixed brass. I got a trigger blister! WOOT! :rockout:

Somewhere along the way I lost the rail nut for the front scope clamp on the .22 Remington. Hunted for 15 straight minutes with no results. Dirt ate it. I was able to dig out a fix from my box-o-stuff in the garage. I ended up with an aluminum spacer and a nut to clamp it back on. A little black marker, and you have to REALLY look to see it. Worked like a charm.

Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:59 pm

Just Call Me Dave wrote:We ended up going to the Sedro/Lyman pit after all. Got there about 3:00 PM. It was AWESOME! :inlove: There were a grand total of 12 people around (including us) over the period of the two hours we were there. We went through 200 rounds of .45 and 9mm each, and another 250 of .22LR :AR15firing: . Picked up four 30 gallon bags of trash and about 4 pounds of .40, 9mm, .45, and .38 spl mixed brass. I got a trigger blister! WOOT! :rockout:

Somewhere along the way I lost the rail nut for the front scope clamp on the .22 Remington. Hunted for 15 straight minutes with no results. Dirt ate it. I was able to dig out a fix from my box-o-stuff in the garage. I ended up with an aluminum spacer and a nut to clamp it back on. A little black marker, and you have to REALLY look to see it. Worked like a charm.

Did you see those two guys standing next to a Black/Silver Dodge Dakota with the black canopy? They were Hogging that one spot, and shooting all kinds of guns!

Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:57 am

Were you there? They were out kind of near the middle, right? We were at the bottom level right up against the curve in the main road. If you drove in on the main road and went STRAIGHT over the cliff instead of turning, you would have crashed into us.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:02 pm

Yeah, I was there with my friend. I could hear someone rapid-firing a .22 every so often. Was that you? If you heard what sounded like a cannon, that was me with the 6.5mm Mauser Carbine. :bigsmile:

Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:23 pm

Hahah yeah that was us! I was going through the banana clips really fast. I thought one of those trucks looked familiar. I only got about 1 second to see them as we drove up the hill.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:20 pm

i know of at least 4 pits in the gifford pinchot national forest. one of which is within 100 yards of the swift reservoir dam. it's a-okay for pistols. just be careful where the hell you're aiming, and refrain from driving down into the pit. park up top. driving into it won't be a problem. driving out, however, will (or might) be a huge problem. i wouldn't bring an ar or ak to that pit, though. the other three were found by driving, parking along some trail, hiking off the beaten path, and hearing nearby gunfire. i honestly couldn't really give you the exact coordinates or directions to those three since i don't use gps devices. all i remember is they're somewhere between the turnoff to highway 14 and randle, washington.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:43 pm

I've been to at least 2 honeyholes, within the red circle, before.

I can't remember exactly where.

Sometimes I wish I had a GPS unit, so I could write down the coordinates when I find something like that.

I'm positive there are more than 2 or 3 places within that circle that you could probably pick up a couple boxes of brass because people use the place, and don't pick up after themselves...

Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:18 pm

Selador wrote:I've been to at least 2 honeyholes, within the red circle, before.

What's the red circle? :bonghit:

Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:38 pm

Just Call Me Dave wrote:
Selador wrote:I've been to at least 2 honeyholes, within the red circle, before.

What's the red circle? :bonghit:

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I can't believe I forgot to post the pic.
honey.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Post a reply