Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:01 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Sad loss of a place to shoot. 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Although it is not 100% official (employees told to call in the morning to see if they will be open), Sam's Gunshop and Range in Everett is closing its doors. Sadly no big surprise to anyone in the area or that has gone in there in the last couple of years. I have an attachment to the place because I worked there part time when Sam was alive. Sam was a friend of mine and a friend to gun owners. During his ownership he built the place up into a good shop and a decent range (although it sucked horribly in the winter with the down draft venting right above the shooting lane). I know Sam is rolling in his grave now. His reputation was important and he prided himself on running an honest, family friendly facility with good people working there. Sam passed away several years back, as have some of his older employees. The place just kept going down hill since then. I am sure someone will step in there and take over the lease, well I hope so anyway. There is still life in the range. Depressed kind of night. Back to my whiskey.

tannardog :cheers2:

Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:37 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah, the recent reports have not been positive, so this isn't a big surprise. But still, it's always sad when we lose a place to shoot, and a gun store too. :crybaby:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:49 pm

Aw darn, some of my best memories were made there. This is truly a sad time.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:05 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes indeed, it has been going downhill over the last few years.

Just for the sake of accuracy, Sam did not build the place. The original owner and creator of the facility was a guy named Chuck James. Used to go under the name of "Gun Works". Moved there from the junction of Evt Mall Blvd and Evergreen way back in the mid 80's.

This does go to show how employees can make or break a business. It only took a couple of surly, and ignorant, individuals to drive business away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I went in there, since it was close to my home, a few months ago and was not impressed with the service or the product. to bad I missed it in its hay day.
Waguns group buy? :bigsmile:

“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”
― Robert A. Heinlein

Massivedesign wrote:

So you getting in on the WaGuns action, or playing solo?

Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:17 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i know a guy that tried to buy it. he was turned down due to the fact that he stands when he goes pee... no shit the woman said NO she will not sell it to a man icon_eek so his wife tried to buy it and she still said no :frust:

He who does not punish evil commands it to be done. --- Leonardo DaVinci

When its time to go in:
That place of steel and stone. I pray that you will keep me safe, so I will not walk alone. Help me to do my duty, please watch me on my rounds.
Amongst those perilous places and slamming steel door sounds. God, keep my fellow Officers well and free from harm. Let them know I'll be there too, whenever there's alarm.
Above all when I walk my beat, no matter where I roam. Let me go back whence I came, to family and home

Author unknown.

Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:21 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mash man wrote:
i know a guy that tried to buy it. he was turned down due to the fact that he stands when he goes pee... no shit the woman said NO she will not sell it to a man icon_eek so his wife tried to buy it and she still said no :frust:

Maybe that's why it's closing or is closed.

I remember a long time ago a Company I did business with was for sale. They wanted too much for it. One of the potential buyers ended up buying it at the bankruptcy auction. Got a good deal then and all the assets sold for a lot less than the owner would have got if he'd accepted one of the offers.

There are some other considerations here too. If the place was run into the ground, chances are the facilities and equipment are run down as well. Just how much lead contamination is there spread around due to a poorly maintained air handling system?

That was a big issue for the old Arlington Shooting Range, now known as Norpoint.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:11 am

The only memory i have of that place is, i stopped by to check it out and i asked can i shoot here? the only reply was are you a member? i left and never went back. that was about 2 years ago. I'm glad i found Norpoint, pretty rough when they re-opened but the place is just getting better everyday.

Bushmaster ORC in 5.56
DPMS Panther Bull 20 in 223REM
Citadel 1911FS in 45ACP
Kahr CW40 in 40SW
S&W M&P FS in 9mm
S&W 22A in 22LR

Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:05 am

According to info on their Facebook page yesterday, WCA purchased the range. They're planning on opening in November.

Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

:hangloose: ...waiting.....

Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]