Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:39 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Waddell Creek - Olympia, WA 

He's not really an asshole. I've talked to him a few times and he's a pretty great guy. The reason he doesn't like it when people bring out stuff like old TV's and such is because it creates a huge mess and HE picks it up. If he didn't pick up after everyone that place would be a massive garbage pit instead of a gravel pit. It's not like he goes up to you and says "If you don't give me your left over casings I'll see to it you don't come back". If you don't like the idea of him picking it up then just pick it up yourself or if he asks you to give it to him just say "No, I reload it" or something. The only "problem" I've had with the guy is when me and a few friends brought some glass out to shoot and he politely asked us to not shoot it.

And if he REALLY annoys you, just go there at night when he's not there.

3. Alcohol does not solve any problems, but then again, neither does milk

Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:51 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Andreweveritt wrote:
Frank is a douche bag. He picks up everything but steel casings for his own personal gain. Then tells me what I can and can't shoot at as targets. I have always used targets that were authorized but still if he decides it's trash I'm not allowed to shoot at it. I just want one day where that guy isn't there so I can do my thing.

So, what's your authorized target? There is a pretty specific list here: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=332-52-145

And I agree with Natteulven, if you tell him you reload, then he won't scrounge your brass. He does collect it for his own personal gain because he is a volunteer. He is not paid by DNR to be out there.

There are other places to shoot that are not controlled by Frank in that area...

Click this:

Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:27 am
Profile WWW

Massivedesign wrote:
Andreweveritt wrote:
Frank is a douche bag. He picks up everything but steel casings for his own personal gain. Then tells me what I can and can't shoot at as targets. I have always used targets that were authorized but still if he decides it's trash I'm not allowed to shoot at it. I just want one day where that guy isn't there so I can do my thing.

So, what's your authorized target? There is a pretty specific list here: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=332-52-145

And I agree with Natteulven, if you tell him you reload, then he won't scrounge your brass. He does collect it for his own personal gain because he is a volunteer. He is not paid by DNR to be out there.

There are other places to shoot that are not controlled by Frank in that area...

Click this:

It was a wooden cut out of Santa clause I bought from Goodwill specifically to shoot at.

I did check out that link a few days ago and plan to go exploring with in the next few days. Do you know of any pits that are bigger than 100-200 meters?

Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:04 pm

That is kinda stupid that he won't let you shoot at some wood... There are some nice spots up in Capitol Forest... Not sure on the exact co-ordinates, though.

3. Alcohol does not solve any problems, but then again, neither does milk

Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:39 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'd have to agree... People shoot plywood all the time as a target backstop. Maybe he still believes in Santa?4

There are a few 100-200 years areas off of "D-Line", you would be shooting close to the road, down a little into a stump pile. The other is up off of C-5300, shooting off of C-line spurs is closed though, and that took away quite a few nice shooting spots..... You might need to do some exploring.

Also, Evergreen Sportsman's club has a 100 yard range and is a fantastic facility.

Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:19 am
Profile WWW

I've shot there twice. Both times the range was full of amateurs who observed a fraction of the 4 rules, and I ended up leaving early because it just scared the hell out of me.

If anyone wants a volunteer project or knows a kid who needs an eagle scout project, they seriously need to make some sort of railing or rudimentary firing line that isn't just where you can find shade in the tree line.

And throw up some safety rules in big red letters.

Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:29 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

We have talked with DNR about organizing the pit.. The problem is, while shooting there is allowed, it is NOT encouraged. They felt (at the time) that posting signage etc would then make it an "official" shooting location... Odd, I know.

Oh, and welcomewgo

Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:56 pm
Profile WWW

If it becomes official, then the State has the liability. They can't afford an RSO on site or the extra insurance it would take to cover the pit. While the State is self insured it is trying to contract out any liability above what is considered "normal". Even ESC is looking to require 1 million dollar liability policy for instructors and others who use the Club, and are not part of the club. :AR15firing:

Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:41 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

dirtyhalfdozen wrote:
Even ESC is looking to require 1 million dollar liability policy for instructors and others who use the Club, and are not part of the club. :AR15firing:

icon_eek icon_eek icon_eek icon_eek

Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:13 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anyone been there recently? How is it looking?

Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:47 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I shoot there during the week all the time. Guess everyone is afraid to shoot their golden bullets so most of the time I'm either alone or just one or two others. If others are shooting I always take some time to evaluate the situation before either shooting or leaving...been more shooting than leaving this year so far. It stays pretty clean, usualy a few pallets or targets of some sort to shoot at if you don't have any.

Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some Range Pictures from 7/28/2013
The range is nice, get there early and it isn't crowed on Weekends.

Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:49 am
Profile WWW

Frank is a volunteer for the DNR and has kept The Triangle clean so people can enjoy a day of shooting. He picks the brass up to not only keep the area clean, but to make a few bucks on the side reselling it to those who want to reload them. Now, I know what you're thinking, "oh, this guy's making money off of me!" But, he's also making sure that people are practicing safe firearm handling as well as keeping the place open. With all of the vandalism and tweekers running around, there are talks of closing the pit once and for all because of this. Hell, even DNR has said that once Frank leaves, that will be it for the pit. If that happens, where are Olympia shooters supposed to go then?

Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:35 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

nick.olson wrote:
Frank is a volunteer for the DNR and has kept The Triangle clean so people can enjoy a day of shooting. He picks the brass up to not only keep the area clean, but to make a few bucks on the side reselling it to those who want to reload them. Now, I know what you're thinking, "oh, this guy's making money off of me!" But, he's also making sure that people are practicing safe firearm handling as well as keeping the place open. With all of the vandalism and tweekers running around, there are talks of closing the pit once and for all because of this. Hell, even DNR has said that once Frank leaves, that will be it for the pit. If that happens, where are Olympia shooters supposed to go then?

Frank has always been polite to me. I have never seen him doing anything to promote gun safety, talk to anyone that is not handling a firearm in a safe manner. Can you give more details on him "making sure people are practicing safe firearm handling"?
I talk with him each time I'm there, he keeps it clean.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:51 am

bajarob wrote:
nick.olson wrote:

Frank has always been polite to me. I have never seen him doing anything to promote gun safety, talk to anyone that is not handling a firearm in a safe manner. Can you give more details on him "making sure people are practicing safe firearm handling"?
I talk with him each time I'm there, he keeps it clean.

He'll make sure people aren't setting targets too high up on the hill, call cold/hot line/cease fire, hell, I've even seen him rip guys apart for unsafe firearm handling. I try to get up there every other weekend and have never had a problem with him. Like others have said, he'll leave your brass alone if you tell him you reload it.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:56 am
Reply to topic   [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next