Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:50 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Waddell Creek - Olympia, WA 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Frank can seem a little "off" now and then, but is a stable guy. Without him around, I would only go there super early in the morning. I don't consider it the safest place to shoot and NEVER go when it is busy.

The "Range Officer" is essential because the place gets crowded and there are "Yahoo's" there and the baggy pants crew with their "9's".

In general it is a great place to shoot. Most of the time people there are great. But sadly the world has plenty of stupid and ignorant people and many have guns.

Without Frank there is should be closed. Sorry to be a downer but there would be shot up stolen cars for targets without supervision.

Also don't put it past those that would like to see guns confiscated to do stupid crap like shoot up old fridges and take pictures shortly seen in the newspaper, blogs, etc.

Honestly we should pay Frank.

Craig

Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:16 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If Frank gave you a hard time, just deal with it, he is why we can shoot there. Also take a moment as ask yourself "was I being an a-hole?"

Keeping order there IS NOT easy for the guy.

Craig

Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:17 am
Profile WWW

cowboycraig wrote:
If Frank gave you a hard time, just deal with it, he is why we can shoot there. Also take a moment as ask yourself "was I being an a-hole?"

Keeping order there IS NOT easy for the guy.

Craig

Excellent post. It's like that old saying "never judge a man when you don't know what he's going through." Frank is ALWAYS dealing with some sort of A-Hole up there. Mostly newbie gun owners/shooters that have no business even possessing a firearm.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:22 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree, the ones that have had issues with Frank might not be using their diplomacy powers very well.
I like that Frank is there, I leave my brass for him and always have a conversation with him that shows him some kind of appreciation.
That being said, I'm there atleast twice a month and saying he's any kind of "range officer" is just not accurate. I don't want people to think they are going to shoot their with the idea that he is making it safe.
I've never seen him do anything but make sure nobody leaves junk and clean up.

I'll give a couple examples (not to say he's not doing what he should...just saying he's not a range officer or anything close)

4 groups of shooter there, all shooting from "about" the road that crosses the pit, as a firing line. One guy sets up at the treeline behind everyone and starts shooting between them. Nobody says anything, frank is standing 50' from the guy.

As I'm walking up to shoot I see someone at the far end setting up targets about mid way of the pit. Two people start shooting pistols close to the entrance, franks at the fire....no cease fire.

I was shooting one day and about 4 younger guys came in. They were muzzle flashing everyone, jumping up and down with a rifle in hand yelling...I fucking love this gun! I fucking love this bitch! I saw two of them having a tug of war with a pistol cause it was his turn. Frank was asleep in the truck.

I said something to the people in the first two situations....not the 3rd.

I have other examples but I don't think they are needed.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm in no way saying anything bad about frank. I just don't believe he is there for anything other than to keep the pit clean. I don't want anyone to get the idea that he is serving as a range officer there and that they are somehow safer with him being there. If you shoot at this pit, as any other pits, your safety is in your own hands.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:42 am

Very valid points. I mean, he is only one guy, and I myself have seem some VERY questionable activities up there without anyone stepping in. It's the price we pay for a free range, right? Besides the fact that Frank's getting up there in years, I wonder if there is anyone willing to step up to take his place if he does decide on "retiring"... someone that isn't afraid of enforcing the rules and who also may have the authority to eject unsafe shooters... just a thought

Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:48 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

nick.olson wrote:
Very valid points. I mean, he is only one guy, and I myself have seem some VERY questionable activities up there without anyone stepping in. It's the price we pay for a free range, right? Besides the fact that Frank's getting up there in years, I wonder if there is anyone willing to step up to take his place if he does decide on "retiring"... someone that isn't afraid of enforcing the rules and who also may have the authority to eject unsafe shooters... just a thought

I agree. Frank is no "Range Officer". Think the real Forest Rangers are far too few and busy to watch a range all day. Enjoy it while we have it.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:18 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Frank is a volunteer, and he provides a valuable service thru his efforts at keeping the pit clean and organized. He undoubtedly contributes to the continuting existance of "the pit", but he is not there to ensure anyone's safety.

He is not a "Range Officer", and has no actual authority to "eject unsafe shooters". The Triangle ("Suicide") Pit is public property. How, exactly, do you suppose he (or anyone else for that matter, including LEO) are going to "eject" someone from public property? Sure, peer pressure ("strength in numbers") might work during some of the larger WaGuns group shoots there, but if someone/group showed up and wanted to do their own thing, there isn't much that's going to stop them. If they are actually endangering others purposefully, then calling 911 might be in order... but making a call because they weren't demonstrating the level of firearms safety that some expect, isn't going to end well for the caller. Trying to force them to leave isn't going to end well for anyone. (Harassment charges, or worse... or an escalation that nobody wants and someone gains a few extra holes in their body.)

Arguing with stupid people is iffy at best... arguing with stupid, armed, people is just plain foolish. Making safety corrections to someone else (that you don't know), on a public "range" (or pit) is a personal decision and done at your own risk. As already stated in this thread... YOU are the only one responsible for your safety at public ranges/pits. If you want a range officer to make you feel safer, then I'd suggest shooting at one of the many members-only ranges in the area. (ESC is right down the road from Waddell Creek Pit... and is a veeeery nice facility with a great staff.) Personally, I don't shoot at places like Waddell Creek. I don't shoot at "members only" ranges either, because there are literally millions of acres of public-access (shooting allowed) land in this state. I either shoot on private property (with permission), or do my homework and find spots to shoot that aren't crowded.

FWIF, the Waddell Creek Pit (aka Triangle/Suicide Pit) is not recongized by WDWF as a "range", only as a (public) part of Capitol Forest. WDWF does not typically recongnize "ranges" on public land because it would give the impression they "endorse" shooting at those ranges, which could create a liability issue for them/the state. I'm sure Dan can expound on this more, since he was working with WDWF last year to try and get some signs with "range rules" put up at the pit to reduce some of the issues being discussed in this thread, to no avail. IIRC, the only signs WDWF uses say "No Shooting". icon_eek

A gun's two worst enemies: rust and politicians.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:45 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

godsdaddy you make great points, I agree 100%

Do like members only ranges though, Kenmore is really nice.

Craig

Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:43 pm
Profile WWW

cowboycraig wrote:
godsdaddy you make great points, I agree 100%

Do like members only ranges though, Kenmore is really nice.

Craig

Trust me, if I had the money, I'd most definitely be joining a members only range

Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have you checked out ESC? Non-members pay $15/day to shoot, military is $10 and members pay $5. Membership is $75 a year but they will prorate it if you ask.

NRA Range Safety Officer
NSSF Member
SAF Defender's Club - Life member
US Navy - 1976-1982

Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:31 pm

I'll have to check into that. Never realized how cheap it was.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:17 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

nick.olson wrote:

Also, people wearing WaGuns schwag have often gotten a discount.. :bigsmile:

Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:49 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
nick.olson wrote:

Also, people wearing WaGuns schwag have often gotten a discount.. :bigsmile:

:yes: I have every time!

Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:35 am

I've been to this place twice over the last month. Once was a rainy day, no frank to be found (but some awesome dudes let me throw my gear under their tent), and the other last weekend. Last weekend frank was there and he was fairly quiet and kept to himself. He spoke to a few people just to remind them that people were out setting up targets, etc but outside of that he just chilled in his truck listening to whatever and picking up brass.

I'm happy to leave it for him, saves me from picking it up.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Frank is cool. Don't fuck with him.

www.BlackRingTactical.com
(360) 474-5650

Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next