Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:47 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Waddell Creek - Olympia, WA 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I believe he's become such a staple (regular) up there that he's become the go to guy. Pseudo or not... I think everyone (shooter and Forest folks go to him).

So to answer your question - I don't believe he is but I'm sure he "knows" the Forest folks well enough...

What's up? Did you have a "run in" of some kind?

Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not at all. Before, a friend asked how he got his truck in there and he just shook his head and mumbled off. If he's just some regular guy then obviously there's a way you can legitly drive on in. Not that I am too lazy to walk, I just seriously don't trust my vehicle being out near the gate and the crowd that likes to frequent that pit.

Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:57 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Here is the DNR write up on Frank. Like him or not, he has done great for the area. If he starts to golumn around your feet for brass, just tell him you reload and he scurries away. Go for someone elses pile who just left? You will have stiff competition. When fran drops the pick up stick and gets on his Hands and knees its serious!

http://washingtondnr.wordpress.com/2010 ... ation-too/

Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:35 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have no doubt he does good for the forest. My problems lies not with him but just wondering if there is a legit way to drive in from another side or do they just allow him only because he's an unofficial range master.

Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:14 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

UpDog wrote:
I have no doubt he does good for the forest. My problems lies not with him but just wondering if there is a legit way to drive in from another side or do they just allow him only because he's an unofficial range master.

I think he has the gate key as the main volunteer so he can haul the garbage out. It seems in recent years they have been tighter with the gate keys. When I used to Mtn bike alot out there we would shuttle ride down from the towers on capitol peak, that is until the gate lock changed....

I just looked at Google Earth and there is no road from another side to get there.

Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:38 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe so. Think I might just head over to honey hole 1. might not be as big but it's some good open area and what looks to be parking on the spot. probably no clays though due to the way the roads run nearby. :(

Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:11 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Upper Quarry (HH #1) is a nice spot. You can shoot clays, no problem. Careful though, it's up top and in the winter usually proves difficult to get to. The road leading to the pit has some nice sheer drops of its narrow 1.5 lane road.

Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:12 am
Profile WWW

I'm planning on going there some time in the next week. Can anybody tell me about the upper areas? How long a walk is it to them?

Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MrBuzzkut wrote:
I'm planning on going there some time in the next week. Can anybody tell me about the upper areas? How long a walk is it to them?

Its a long walk, the drive is at least 5 miles

Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Frank a nice guy. came up to us and just mentioned if you got boxes just throw them by the fire pit.

Went out there 2 weeks ago. Being out there I was totally surprised NOT one group had a tarp down but us??? Hell I didn't even see anyone pick up there brass/ steel what gives.

One thing that pissed me off was trying to leave everyone is hugging the damn tree line so you can not walk behind them you gotta wait till they quit firing :frust: and that's like 10 god damn min.

going shooting further up :bigsmile:

Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

cmica wrote:
One thing that pissed me off was trying to leave everyone is hugging the damn tree line so you can not walk behind them you gotta wait till they quit firing :frust: and that's like 10 god damn min.

THIS!!

HATE IT!!!

NOOOoooo!

All I get is "Hey! I'm peeing in here!"

"Peace is the brief, glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading."

Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

cmica wrote:
Frank a nice guy. Being out there I was totally surprised NOT one group had a tarp down but us??? Hell I didn't even see anyone pick up there brass/ steel what gives.

Frank picks up all the brass and recycles it. He crawled around on his hands and knees for months picking up every shell casing and shotgun hull.

Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:39 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

M1Gunr wrote:
cmica wrote:
Frank a nice guy. Being out there I was totally surprised NOT one group had a tarp down but us??? Hell I didn't even see anyone pick up there brass/ steel what gives.

Frank picks up all the brass and recycles it. He crawled around on his hands and knees for months picking up every shell casing and shotgun hull.

In talking to him several times about it, he separates it and sells it to a buddy who in turn sells it to reloaders. Fair play to him. I consider it his due perk for all his labors keeping the place open to us and clean of garbage.

His miniscule amount of $$$$ payback is nothing compared to the hours and hours of picking up pieces of glass and stuffed animal filling some assholes thought would be funny to shoot at and leave behind when they left.

I've picked up my own brass and kinda felt guilty about it. Not that I WANTED him to do it for me, but I'm sorta depriving him of a little bit of money selling it. I tried to give him $5 once and he said 'no thanks'....maybe next time I'll be a little more forceful in offering it?

NOOOoooo!

All I get is "Hey! I'm peeing in here!"

"Peace is the brief, glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading."

Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:47 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

SIG556 wrote:
. . . I tried to give him $5 once and he said 'no thanks'....maybe next time I'll be a little more forceful in offering it?

Leave it under a small pile (3-4 rounds) of brass!

Synopsis of Rules for Radicals: http://www.crossroad.to/Quotes/communism/alinsky.htm
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds" - Bob Marley
104th Division Image Timberwolves

Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:42 am
Profile WWW

Frank is a douche bag. He picks up everything but steel casings for his own personal gain. Then tells me what I can and can't shoot at as targets. I have always used targets that were authorized but still if he decides it's trash I'm not allowed to shoot at it. I just want one day where that guy isn't there so I can do my thing.

Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next